over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

BCAA's or Whey Hydro?

IluvIron

Newbies
Im not doing slin, but I am using an intra workout drink which lately I have been using 40g Dextrose(I have a tub I want to finish and then use Glycofuse when im done) with 15-20 g BCAA and whey ISO post w/o. MY question is since I am having a whey iso and a full meal(sweet pot. and egg whites) within an hour of my workout can I just stick with the BCAA's or use Leucine peptides OR would hydrowhey be MUCH better. I am also doing this somewhat on a budget(thats why Im not using peptpro or HBCD at the moment).

What Do you guys think?

finish up that Dextrose and get on to the Glycofuse...you will seriously notice a difference.

And in a perfect world, I'd tell you to get a mix of hydrolyzed whey and pepto pro from TN + glycofuse.

Thanks, yea I'm about to finish the dex. So glycofuse is coming next, I might just pick the hydrowhey and use that, maybe if I can scavenge some extra change I'll add in the peptopro. What are the added benefits of using hydrowhey as opposed to bcaa? The complete amino acid profile? Or are bcaas just not what they are hyped up to be?

It's not a matter of what's better...as they both supply unqiue benefits. The primary benefits of BCAAs (particularly leucine) is their ability to enhance protien synthesis when added to whole proteins, above what will be experienced by consuming whole proteins alone. They can also be taken inbetween meals in order to illicit an additional anabolic response that would otherwise be absent. Free form aminos cannot replace whole proteins (well I guess they could, but we would miss out on many of the benefits whole proteins provide), but they can compliment them. The usage of both is ideal.

If any one single free-from amino was to be utilized in addition to whole proteins, it would be leucine by a long shot....no comparison. Many whole foods consumed in normal quanities do not supply an amount of leucine, which will maximally stimulate protein synthesis, so Leucine is a great supplement for BB'rs.

Mike Arnold

*Glycofuse
*Peptopro (80%+ di and tri peptides) which is easier for the body to recognize+use as opposed to single free form aminos.
*Instantized Leucine(it does all the work BCAA is known for and other BCAA might cause competition at uptake)

Or combos of the above Glycofuse+ one or both.

*Glycofuse
*Peptopro (80%+ di and tri peptides) which is easier for the body to recognize+use as opposed to single free form aminos.
*Instantized Leucine(it does all the work BCAA is known for and other BCAA might cause competition at uptake)

Or combos of the above Glycofuse+ one or both.

You're not using Humapro then? :eek:

I still do use Humapro but not peri-workout in this protocol. So I am not sure what's funny?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. guys. Im definitely getting that glycofuse and I WANT the peptopro, Im guessing a small amount goes a long way since I will only use on workout days. Leucine is cheap, so that and glycofuse for sure, just not sure about the peptopro. Knight you are very knowledgeable when it comes to this, what exactly would the pros/cons of using hydro whey as opposed to peptopro be, if you dont mind breaking that up for me... Thanks. BTW creatine might also be added for the hell of it......:headbang:

Thanks for all the info. guys. Im definitely getting that glycofuse and I WANT the peptopro, Im guessing a small amount goes a long way since I will only use on workout days. Leucine is cheap, so that and glycofuse for sure, just not sure about the peptopro. Knight you are very knowledgeable when it comes to this, what exactly would the pros/cons of using hydro whey as opposed to peptopro be, if you dont mind breaking that up for me... Thanks. BTW creatine might also be added for the hell of it......:headbang:

It splitting hairs and the reality is one or the other isn't going to make a difference to you.

Do you think that using one all year opposed to the other is going to make an additional 2lbs of lean muscle mass, or the difference from finishing 8th on the stage to finishing 3rd.

I don't.

I'm sure there are other ways you can optimise your diet or training to really make a difference.

I pretty much agree with Swifto. I buy Peptopro because casein hydrolysates have been advocated by the likes of John Meadows and more. In reality, I imagine any hydrolyzed protein will do the job.

Glycofuse and Leucine are likely paramount, perhaps even creatine and beta alanine rank up high as well.

Thanks Swifto and Knight, yea that what I always thought. At the end of the day hydroprotein = hydroprotein. I know Peptopro is the more advocated one but price is like 3x as much. School has been killing me so work hours have gone down alot just trying to set up the best bang for my buck. For now I think I will go with the Super grade hydro whey with creatine and leucine. Thanks to all for the added suggestions!

Thanks Swifto and Knight, yea that what I always thought. At the end of the day hydroprotein = hydroprotein. I know Peptopro is the more advocated one but price is like 3x as much. School has been killing me so work hours have gone down alot just trying to set up the best bang for my buck. For now I think I will go with the Super grade hydro whey with creatine and leucine. Thanks to all for the added suggestions!

Is 3x as much really 3x as much when serving size is 1/3 as much?
Peptopro serving size is 10-15g.

I've tried a combination of Intrabolic and Glycofuse before. Also I've used intrabolic alone and compared it with BCAA alone during a workout.

I ended up back using the BCAA before and after a workout...

The intra workout style always made me feel sluggish.

BCAA is also good to take right before a meal, since the BCAA in the whole food protein will reach peak levels in 2-3 hours. It helps recovery and soreness but I can't say it ever made a major noticeable difference in size.

Never really understood Layne Norton's logic about taking them in between meals, as that's when the aminos in the whole food proteins are peaking.

I can see this as useful if meals are spread 5-6 hours apart, but for 3-4 hour apart meals, I think it's better to take it right before each meal. Then there's a BCAA rise right before eating, and another as the amino's from the food reach peak levels in 2-3 hours..then another 2-3 hours later before the next meal when taking BCAA again.

Would the serving size of the hydro whey also be 10-15 gr? Adonis yea I have always read about Laynes bcaa protocol but never gave it much importance because I always believed that if we folloq the usual eating protein every 2-3 hours then their should always a steady supply of aminos in our blood stream always. I know extra bcaas could help throighout the day but I never thought it would make much of a difference. Around training its just a little extra to help out I think.

Never really understood Layne Norton's logic about taking them in between meals, as that's when the aminos in the whole food proteins are peaking.
Well, I believe the logic is to take the BCAAs while your whole foods are "peaking" as you put it, to increase protein synthesis/uptake. They are like adding nitrous to your engine you want to blast it when you have the 'fuel' already running through the engine.

But IMO BCAAs are really useful to sip on throughout the day. If I'm doing heavy manual labor for the day I will mix up a gallon of water with some sea salt, honey, and BCAAs and sip on that during the day (obviously eating meals too when I can). I definitely notice that helps...so it seems like there is many ways to skin the cat.

Layne's recommendations were aimed towards natural athletes.

Essentially, he said that eating a meal every 3 hours was overkill for a natural guy, and it would likely just make him fat. As a superior method for lean bulking, Layne recommends that natural guys eat a meal every 4-5 hours, and take Leucine in between. The Leucine between meals keeps anabolism going without adding extra calories.

That's essentially how I understood it....

That didn't really make much sense to me though.

Here's a fun fact though:

As a natural lifter, I added 5g of L-Leucine about 5 minutes prior to every meal I ate during the day. I was eating 6-7 meals a day, so that's 30-35g Leucine per day. Additionally, I added 20g of BCAA (which has 10g Leucine) post workout.

I gained 15lbs pretty damn fast doing that, and set some new PRs on Bench, Deadlift, and a few other things. So I know it was helping.

Layne's recommendations were aimed towards natural athletes.

Essentially, he said that eating a meal every 3 hours was overkill for a natural guy, and it would likely just make him fat. As a superior method for lean bulking, Layne recommends that natural guys eat a meal every 4-5 hours, and take Leucine in between. The Leucine between meals keeps anabolism going without adding extra calories.

That's essentially how I understood it....

That didn't really make much sense to me though.

Here's a fun fact though:

As a natural lifter, I added 5g of L-Leucine about 5 minutes prior to every meal I ate during the day. I was eating 6-7 meals a day, so that's 30-35g Leucine per day. Additionally, I added 20g of BCAA (which has 10g Leucine) post workout.

I gained 15lbs pretty damn fast doing that, and set some new PRs on Bench, Deadlift, and a few other things. So I know it was helping.

still makes more sense to me to take them prior to meals, which seemed to work for you!

I think that his studies showed that you could prolong the protein synthesis response between meals with BCAA and carbohydrate, as he speculated insulin played a role.

still makes more sense to me to take them prior to meals, which seemed to work for you!

I think that his studies showed that you could prolong the protein synthesis response between meals with BCAA and carbohydrate, as he speculated insulin played a role.

I'm almost positive he didn't advocate leucine BEFORE meals....his long ass paper showed that 5g of Leucine + carbs inbetween your meals kept a stream of aminos in you at all times.

His meal timing was once every 4-6 hours too.

**broken link removed**

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity