over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Ben Pakulski on intra workout nutrition

Knight9

Featured Member / Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Pretty good article on how he does things...

Pre and Peri Workout Nutrition

When hypertrophy (muscle building) is your main goal, the food and nutrients you consume around the workout is by far the most important aspect in maximizing growth and optimizing recovery.

If you’re looking to immediately accelerate growth and improve body composition, then you’d better sit down and take some notes. This is exactly where you need to start.

To underestimate pre and peri (that means “during”, btw) workout nutrition is to essentially kiss your gains goodbye.

There has been some recent research conducted suggesting that the timing of nutrients may not be of major significance to people looking to optimize muscle-building. That research was conducted on minimally trained individuals and certainly had no consideration for people who are looking to take an already well-trained body and make it even better.

If you’re someone who has never trained, or trained minimally, I can see how nutrient timing wouldn’t make a massive difference. Simply getting in the appropriate macronutrients is more than enough to change your current state.

For someone looking for immediate and long lasting changes, you better make the most of your workout nutrition and avoid falling into that trap.

Anyone who’s been training in the gym for any extended period (6 months+ consistently), will tell you that their energy wavers, that some days they have awesome workouts, other days they feel like they’ve done nothing at all. Some days they’re extremely strong, other days natta. Some days the pump is so great it hurts, other days, zilch.

I’ve been there 1000 times myself.

Let me pose this question:

What if I could tell you what to eat to ensure maximum strength every time you went to the gym?

Or, maybe I could tell you what you should eat to maximize the pump each time so that it feels like your muscles are so full they’re going to split?

Or, what if I could even suggest what to eat to ensure that your focus was spot on and that you had great motivation and drive each workout?

Do you think that would increase your results at all?

Answer: Yes yes and yes!

I’m going to focus my pre and peri-workout nutrition suggestion for ‘hypertrophy’ training ONLY. Notice that these recommendations would change if strength is the goal of that particular workout (I’d suggest checking out Derek Woodske’s blog about how to eat for strength if that is your goal).

Let’s approach this in a sequential way, so that it’s as simple as a 3 step sequence, as well as easy to apply immediately.

The first thing you need to know is that what you eat and drink for as much as 72 hours leading into a workout will likely affect the outcome of the workout. Simply ensuring that you eat the “perfect” pre-workout meal will not ensure that your performance is at its peak. Your body needs to be hydrated, nourished and well rested within the previous 24 hours minimum. For someone striving for perfection, 72 hours pre-workout can even affect things.

The suggested water intake for optimum hydration is 400-500mls every waking hour on a daily basis. So no, consuming 2L at once isn’t shown to make up for lost time, although I’ve been known to try with some pretty good results (I tend to start each day with 1.5-2L of water before eating anything at all).

Carbohydrate intake for 24-72 hours prior to training will also greatly affect performance. The simplest way to think of carbohydrate repletion is in terms of your body as a fuel tank. If you never let your tank run on empty, you’ll never need to over feed to refill the tank.

The truth is, that typical muscle-building workouts actually do very little to deplete systemic glycogen. It may deplete glycogen within the working muscle, but the amount of total glycogen used will often be minimal. Most aspiring trainees misunderstand this fact and falsely believe that their need for carbohydrate intake is massive.

Listen, I don’t care how hard you train, you’re never realistically depleting your muscles completely. You’re just not. Unless you’re a long distance cyclist going for a 6 hour bike ride, thinking you need 1000 grams of carbs a day to grow is just senseless. But that’s another topic.

What you eat for 3 hours pre-workout can and will directly affect your performance by affecting your hormone and neurotransmitter levels.

I don’t claim to be a neurophysiologist (although I do have a good friend who is), but I am a gym rat of 17 years that has read and experimented with just about every workout protocol and nutrition program under the sun. The results haven’t been too bad, I guess. ;)

Pre-Workout

Regarding optimal performance and hypertrophy, there are two basic protocols that I find particularly effective for maximizing the results of my workouts:

The one I use most often is going no carb pre-workout.

From experience, this is the most effective strategy for maximizing mental focus, energy and drive. What that means to me is that it gives me BALLS! I go into the gym ready to attack the weights. Grabbing the weights with an assertiveness and aggression that simply just doesn’t come when I overdo carbohydrates pre-workout.
Carbohydrates pre-workout

Carbs can make you feel tired and lazy, not always mind you, but we have all had a case of the sleepies going in to train at one time or another; it’s often a result of a serotonin spike from carbohydrate ingestion. Another notable benefit of the no carb pre-workout is it allows for the natural GH spike initiated with intense exercise. Carb ingestion has been shown to negate this.

An example of my pre-workout meal is:

8oz of lean meat (usually chicken or turkey breast)
1-2 cups of green veggies
40 grams of fat from coconut oil, butter, or MCT oil (any combination depending on what body-part I’m training. I avoid butter before legs cause it makes my breathing a bit laborious).
1 cup of black coffee
Another feasible option for pre-workout is the “slow carb” protocol. If you tend to stay on the leaner side and have a hard time building muscle, slow carbs pre-workout can be a great idea. I avoid simple carbs for the reasons stated above. Slow carbs like brown rice, veggies, beans, whole grain oats, sweet potatoes etc. can provide just enough insulin activity to negate any muscle breakdown while increasing cell swelling and hyperemia. Cell swelling and hyperemia are well known to be highly correlated with muscle growth, optimizing them is vital to your success.

One of my favorite slow carb pre-workout meals is:

8oz of lean meat
2 cups of sweet potato mash with cinnamon
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
A great little tip, or “trick”, I use to optimize the best of both of these two worlds’, is to stick with the non-carb pre-workout, then after about 20-30 minutes of HARD exercise (special emphasis on ‘hard’), I add in some simple carbohydrates in the form of “Vitargo” with 30 grams of BCAA’s. This will still allow for the GH release, the neural drive to start the workout, plus finish the workout with the cell swelling and hyperemia. This works really well for me 80% of the time.

Electrolyte supplementThere are still many days when I wait until after the training session has finished to consume any carbs. Examples being on days when I know training intensity is down, or perhaps when fat-burning is the primary goal. In these specific scenarios, carbs can wait until after training.

On the days when I choose to hold off on intra-workout carbs, I still take in BCAA’s, plus actually often add a little extra (up to 40 grams total… keeping in mind my offseason weight is 300lbs!).

Another one of my favorite pre and peri-workout supplement tricks is to add a balanced electrolyte supplement to my pre-workout or peri-workout drink. This adds massive amounts of value for literally pennies, increasing hydration, cellular uptake, muscle contractibility, negating cramping and possibly even decreasing the chances of injury.

so youre supposed to eat low glycemic carbs before a workout to avoid blood sugar swings? news of the day :rolleyes:

on a serious note, the carbless until workout thing works pretty well. i think you should remain carbless the whole day until your workout though and not just for the pre workout meal though (not sure if pakulski specified that).
this system is called carb backloading (john kiefer wrote lots on that, worked with john meadows aswell).

the coconut oil and butter thing is also from him.

not sure if pakulski is trying to sell that as his own idea, lol.

not the best way to gain muscle imo, but great for cutting or staying lean

Last edited:
Hate that guy. Forgets what built his mass. You really think he got to 300lb going no carbs except for pwo

I think he needs to learn to categorize pre- peri- and post workout nutrition based on goals.
If you are dieting to lose fat (say like doing a comp) then your meals will be completely different than if you are in gaining phase.
I go low carb pre-workout, next to nothing really for a guy my size.
When gaining I have slightly more but intra workout Ill do something like Carbolic, or Karbolyn, and use insulin.
So - to just nail it down to one style without specifying a difference in diet mode or gaining mode is just telling 1/2 the story really.

LMAO Such a salesman. He uses his "educated stance" and science to push sales. Not a bad biz model. He lures in a ton of people with his "educate and dominate" position, which is admirable, then uses that reach for sales.

Yes, he got to 300lbs on minimal carbs and MCT oil lol.

Il keep this real real simple. Can carbs make u crash preworkout and hurt your neural drive? ABSOLUTELY! if done WRONG lol.....

Option 1- low gi and time the meal so blood levels stabilize before workout starts

Option 2- time it (easier hi GI) so that the carbs are hitting as you are warming up and go right into muscles you plan to train.

Option 3- carb shake as you pump up (same idea as 2).

Personally i like 1 + 3 (also works better with aggressive PED protocols), but you need a looser schedule for it. most go with 2. 2 is also best for anyone WITHOUT a blazing metab

Last edited:
snake-oil.jpg

LMAO Such a salesman. He uses his "educated stance" and science to push sales. Not a bad biz model. He lures in a ton of people with his "educate and dominate" position, which is admirable, then uses that reach for sales.

Yes, he got to 300lbs on minimal carbs and MCT oil lol.

Il keep this real real simple. Can carbs make u crash preworkout and hurt your neural drive? ABSOLUTELY! if done WRONG lol.....

Option 1- low gi and time the meal so blood levels stabilize before workout starts

Option 2- time it (easier hi GI) so that the carbs are hitting as you are warming up and go right into muscles you plan to train.

Option 3- carb shake as you pump up (same idea as 2).

Personally i like 1 + 3 (also works better with aggressive PED protocols), but you need a looser schedule for it. most go with 2. 2 is also best for anyone WITHOUT a blazing metab

how many minutes pre workout would you try to finish option 1? lets say using oatmeal for carb...

So y'all don't think low carb pre workout meals can make mass monsters, or are y'all just saying he just has underlying intentions? (Sales)?

I'm endomorphic as hell and I train the best on veggies and meat 1 hour pre.

But yea circulating insulin pre workout is nice if the carbs don't make you feel like a goo ball.

So y'all don't think low carb pre workout meals can make mass monsters, or are y'all just saying he just has underlying intentions? (Sales)?

Drugs and calories make mass monsters.

I'm endomorphic as hell and I train the best on veggies and meat 1 hour pre.

But yea circulating insulin pre workout is nice if the carbs don't make you feel like a goo ball.

I'm never eat carbs pre workout again as long as I live. Training carbles for me im stronger, more stamina, more aggression and more focus. I hammer my carbs post workout and vein up real nice and muscles full nicely too. I've done pre workout slin and intra carbs etc and our was much easier to grow with no carbs pre workout.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

Drugs and calories make mass monsters.

So you think if total cals, drugs, and training there, carb pre or post isn't a deal breaker?

Alex do you compete? I read many of your posts. Just wondering.

So you think if total cals, drugs, and training there, carb pre or post isn't a deal breaker?

I don't think it's a deal breaker. I'm a KISS person. Believe in macros. All these "scientific" little things don't make sense to me. But by all means, everyone should try different things and see how their bodies react.

Alex do you compete?

No. Take what I write with a grain of salt.

I did date a girl who competed in amateur physique and know a few guys who compete in amateur leagues in my country and a few bouncers who are real monsters.

One thing in common that these guys have: when they started it, they and everyone else could tell they had it. Most of them are clueless and use VERY basic approaches, like sleep and eat a lot and lift heavy.

Most of the guys I know who rely on "advanced" things, like timing shakes and crazy concoctions are pretty small compared.

Myself, I got fairly big once, but couldn't stand being slow and having apnea, so I dropped my weight to around 205-210 with a low BF and I'm happy there.

I don't think it's a deal breaker. I'm a KISS person. Believe in macros. All these "scientific" little things don't make sense to me. But by all means, everyone should try different things and see how their bodies react.

No. Take what I write with a grain of salt.

I did date a girl who competed in amateur physique and know a few guys who compete in amateur leagues in my country and a few bouncers who are real monsters.

One thing in common that these guys have: when they started it, they and everyone else could tell they had it. Most of them are clueless and use VERY basic approaches, like sleep and eat a lot and lift heavy.

Most of the guys I know who rely on "advanced" things, like timing shakes and crazy concoctions are pretty small compared.

Myself, I got fairly big once, but couldn't stand being slow and having apnea, so I dropped my weight to around 205-210 with a low BF and I'm happy there.

Good post Alex. Other than the training carbles and hammering carbs after to feel good again I just like steady state. No carb cycling. No calorie cycling other than a small cheat pre leg day. No fancy amino acid concoctions. Just more rice and chicken if I need size, less of I need to trim. Eat big, lift big, inject big and you will be big

Guys, the article is about peri workout nutrition...not going carbless until your workout and not carb back loading. Some of you are adding your own facts about the rest of his diet.

Good post Alex. Other than the training carbles and hammering carbs after to feel good again I just like steady state. No carb cycling. No calorie cycling other than a small cheat pre leg day. No fancy amino acid concoctions. Just more rice and chicken if I need size, less of I need to trim. Eat big, lift big, inject big and you will be big

Honestly…it is a little more complex than that.

Guys, the article is about peri workout nutrition...not going carbless until your workout and not carb back loading. Some of you are adding your own facts about the rest of his diet.
Im sure bpak is a huge component of cbl. He advocates it in his recent program. For growing lean n dieting

Im sure bpak is a huge component of cbl. He advocates it in his recent program. For growing lean n dieting
I know someone he trained (huge) and although carbs were around the workout and included prior to bed...it wasn't cbl.
So don't be so sure..

Last edited:
I know someone he trained (huge) and although carbs were around the workout and included prior to bed...it wasn't cbl.
So don't be so sure..
uploadfromtaptalk1407447292474.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1407447305900.jpg

Im.100% sure its what he recommends in his program

The word "peri" means around. He says it means "during." Peri-workout nutrition would be your nutrition strategy "around" your workout; Pre, intra (this means "within"), and post. Some are starting to swap "peri" with "intra" when referring to their shakes and what not.

Sometimes I wonder if all the talk about peri workout nutrition even matters if one is not specifying the appropriate insulin protocol. If one is natural or not using insulin it most likely doesn't matter when you consume your carbs but how many and what kind. Look at a lot of the IIFYM naturals (atleast they claim natural) a lot of those guys are shredded and they will eat shit like chips and ice cream on the way to the gym. Without the insulin in the equation it doesnt matter.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131