over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bench Press Technique

medici999

Banned
Anyone got a link to any good videos that shows the good set up and movement for bench press...for maximal chest development...im not a powerlifter so dont think i need a big arch...just looking for good videos please.

Thanks

powerlifters dont have weak chests...but i wouldnt say they have the biggest chests either

Don't forget that when you are watching the powerlifting videos, most of these guys train to bench in a shirt. Benching with equipment is a whole different animal. The fundamentals are there it's just different from what you are probably going to be doing on a day to day basis in the gym if you aren't a powerlifter.

i only bench like a powerlifter because its the most comfortable, allows me to use more weight, and probably will keep me from tearing my pec. and my chest is my best bodypart. go figure.

dont bench.
there was a thread on here not tooo long ago and ALOT of guys on this board explained how dangerous flat bench is and how useless it can be. it wrecks my shoulders and makes it hard to target my chest and ends up working my front delts so i tossed it. now i only do declines and dips works like a charm:)
-JS

medici, this thread just reinforces my opinion:

i only bench like a powerlifter because its the most comfortable, allows me to use more weight, and probably will keep me from tearing my pec. and my chest is my best bodypart. go figure.

remember what i told you about moves that put you in safest position to lift the most weight?
this is EXACTLY what i am talking about. the big ARCH in the back kinda puts the chest and upper torso in a decline position right? like Repmks said its SAFER for your chest AND it also provides the best angle to lift MOST weight. hence declines can make your chest grow safely and effectively.;)
-JS

Last edited:
what about

the 1/2 bench over the neck. The top half of the movement, if you went all the way down you would end up in the neck area, but don't go all the way down. Elbows back during the lift?

dont bench.
there was a thread on here not tooo long ago and ALOT of guys on this board explained how dangerous flat bench is and how useless it can be. it wrecks my shoulders and makes it hard to target my chest and ends up working my front delts so i tossed it. now i only do declines and dips works like a charm:)
-JS

I feel the same thing. I have long arms though..I'm like 5'10 or 5'11 but have a 6 foot 5 wingspan. Whenever I bench the ROM is killing and my delts get burnt, and I feel nothing in my chest.

I've substituted it out for incline benching movements, incline fly movements, incline hammer strength, and Gironda presses. I can't use much weight on any of these stuff cause the ROM is so poor. I've taken away some of the ROM, changed the angles and my chest shape has increased for the better. Miniscule but it's improving.

I feel the same thing. I have long arms though..I'm like 5'10 or 5'11 but have a 6 foot 5 wingspan. Whenever I bench the ROM is killing and my delts get burnt, and I feel nothing in my chest.

I've substituted it out for incline benching movements, incline fly movements, incline hammer strength, and Gironda presses. I can't use much weight on any of these stuff cause the ROM is so poor. I've taken away some of the ROM, changed the angles and my chest shape has increased for the better. Miniscule but it's improving.

with long arms i imagine you are still hitting your front delts too much on all those exercises. give declines and dips a try bro. you might like em ALOT.
i am also 5' 11" and have longer arms and legs than most and those two exercises have helped bring my chest up ALOT. now i find inclines awkward and far less effective and have not done them in years....
-JS

Don't forget that when you are watching the powerlifting videos, most of these guys train to bench in a shirt. Benching with equipment is a whole different animal. The fundamentals are there it's just different from what you are probably going to be doing on a day to day basis in the gym if you aren't a powerlifter.

No doubt that a shirt changes things. Takes a bit to get used to using one, and to adjust. Never used a shirt in training until the last few workouts before a competition.

Weighted dips FTW. Has great carryover to military press.

I have a long torse and unusually long triceps so I noticed benching didnt do shit for my chest, because my tris would fail before my chest would really work. All benching did was give me shoulder problems (unracking it), front delts that were too big for the sides and rears, and tricep tendonitis. Good thing - I fixed ot. Instead of bench pressing for chest, I do flat dumbells (neutral grip to save the elbows and shoulders), incline dumbells, incline bench press (moderate weight so you can focus on contraction) and if you feel the need to go heavy with some pressing, every once in awhile do it on the decline bench, but only do the bottom 2/3 of the movement and have someone assist you in unracking and racking the weight. The movement that best developed my pecs was dips. I did 4 sets of 25 for a couple workouts once I stopped benching and I would go all the way down, explode up with the chest, and let myself slide back down once I felt it take over in the tris. Eventually I would add weight and as I did this my chest got bigger, and bigger. Last chest workout I used 4 plates for 6 reps. ***Afterwards, I end my workouts by doin decline flies, incline flies and pullovers for shape. *** All this unnessecary rambling and my simply point is: skip benching, do heavy dips, heavy declines, heavy military press, moderate close grip, and lots of decline flies and pullovers and your chest and shoulders will look awesome.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear