over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bench press

NWFD65

Registered
I'm just curious what are you men bench pressing for your 1rep max, now I'm just talking about the average Joe around 45yrs old, I'm just like most of the guys here I always used to work out in high school but I quit, I'm 44yrs old and I started back seriously about 3yrs ago and I'm ate up with it, working out is all I wanna do, my wife says she is sick of hearing me talk about it. I have even just about gave up deer hunting and being from east central Mississippi that is saying a lot, My 1 rep max is 365lbs and I wanna bench press 405 @ the age of 45yrs old, I will be 45 March 5th, I know that I prolly won't get it by then but I WILL get it, so just humor me, am I weak for a 44yr old guy?

I'm 54 last week I did 425 at a body weight of 245 in my book that's unimpressive.
Best ever I was 24 and pressed 563 at 220lbs bw

My way of thinking is If you can bench your body weight for 10 reps that's considered strong. If you can bench twice your body weight your a freak.

But this is of course my opinion others will disagree.

I'm 54 last week I did 425 at a body weight of 245 in my book that's unimpressive.

My way of thinking is If you can bench your body weight for 10 reps that's considered strong. If you can bench twice your body weight your a freak.

Man, thats freaking great !!!!!!! impressive !!!!! I just have a goal and its to be the strongest guy at my gym and thats not saying a lot, I'm 5'8" weigh 220, I didn't mean to imply that I was strong, I'm working my azz off trying to be strong, Gotta crawl before you can walk is what I've been always told

I'm not going to say you're full of shit. What I'm going to say is a 563 bench at 220 would make you the #2 bench presser, of all time at 220lb.
LKDXwBj.jpg

I stopped telling random people what I bench, when asked because everyone has a friend, or friends friend's uncle, who's benched 500+.

Last edited:
You have the right attitude, and setting goals for yourself is how we make improvements!
Having a strong bench is the key to overall upper body development. To many people these days neglect the basics. IMO

That's the point, well mine anyway

I'm not exegerating or bragging just trying to help a brother out. I actually did that weight "no shirt" back in 1984 at a small power lifting meet in the city where I lived at the time. I also squatted 847 with a suit and wraps and deadlifted 740 I had every intention of competing at a national level but regretfully I never made it.

I'm not going to say you're full of shit. What I'm going to say is a 563 bench at 220 would make you the #2 bench presser, of all time at 220lb.
LKDXwBj.jpg

I stopped telling random people what I bench, when asked because everyone has a friend, or friends friend's uncle, who's benched 500+.
Lol, at friends, uncle....so true.

365 lbs is average but so is 405.
I now bench about the same as I did before but with 20 lbs more of pure muscle.
20lbs of muscle on the body looks a lot better than 40lbs more on the bar.

Last edited:
You're doing great man keep killing it.

Last edited:
at 19 (and before shoulder surgery) at bw of 215:

430 bench
605 squat
685 deadlift
335 powerclean

all before i wrecked my shoulder...

i was gunning to break my dad's state natural record of 515 at bw 230. good genes i had going for me.

Last edited:
I'm not exegerating or bragging just trying to help a brother out. I actually did that weight "no shirt" back in 1984 at a small power lifting meet in the city where I lived at the time. I also squatted 847 with a suit and wraps and deadlifted 740 I had every intention of competing at a national level but regretfully I never made it.
Like I said, I'm not going to call bullshit but putting it in perspective that only a handful of people have ever benched even 500+, and the all time best bench is only 573, you have to understand my skepticism. Not to mention 563 isn't even a weight via kg. It's either 562 or 567.

Maybe you should compete now. At 50+ with your current bench you could set some national records. Uspa 50-54 242 class, American record is only 390. Go smash it.

Lol, at friends, uncle....so true.
The world is full of 500lb benchers I suppose. Or the occasional "he benched 600 for reps".

Don't get me wrong I'm not a great bencher by any stretch but I've benched just under(few lbs) 2x bodyweight and likely should go over 2x in a couple weeks. Just frustrates me to hear about all these fictional lifts. Lol

I would rather look like I can bench 1000 pounds than be able to.. I can rep 315 for 15 reps.. I usually do not go much heavier as I am not wanting shoulder surgery in the years to come..

Powerlifting has it place but at some point you got to leave your ego at the house..

When Im walking around the beach shirtless women ask me a lot of questions and I can assure you what i bench IS NOT one of them!

I shoot more for reps these days... It's too hard on my shoulders. Nearly fucked my shoulder and pec up in the past, luckily it was able to heal over 11mos.

I did 415 naturally in high school at 215lbs. 515x3 at 20yo at 273lbs.. that's the set that took me away from benching for a year.

Pr's
405x 12
315x 21
275x 30
225x 43 (lifetime goal = 50)

330 is my best at a weight of 210

To the OP...keep it up! One good solid rep at 365 is better than air humping 405 with the spotter taking the top half. Too many damn people have no idea how to bench, no idea, about form or how to properly train the lift...thus they get hurt and/or never make any progress. If you train the lift 405 is definitely possible in march.
Bench press is all about working the lift and form. Work the lock out, dead stops from the bottom, negatives, bands, etc.
I can tell a lot about someone in the gym when I see them bench.. Lol.
My best was about 5 years ago..225# hit 505.

It's good to have a gOal.but just be careful,at 45 injuries happen a lot more.I'm 35 and haven't benched in 6 years,not worth the potential injuries.just want to look goodand feel strong at this aage.,

Guys here are some raw bench records from way back, lots of familiar names.

Attachments

• Bench records.txt
    451 bytes · Views: 124

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88