over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bench strength

Freedom15Muscle

Registered
I've been steady improving squat and deadlift. I just finished a 10 week program and added a generous 60lbs on both lifts. However, my bench press has always been stubborn. Even with a fair amount of gear and a good diet. I'm lucky if I can gain 5-10lbs in a 3 month period. Any tips for increasing strength? I generally have a weaker press towards the bottom of the lift. I have had three torn rotators in the past so I know this doesn't help. I currently don't have any pain with help from tb500, some mk, and tweaking my form. Any input would be appreciated.

Sent from my S2_PRO using Tapatalk

I'm not saying to tear you down, but you've beat yourself up that bad and are still concerned about how much weight you can move on what is essentially an ego-lift? If you are planning on competing in a power lifting contest, I guess I could understand that, but just to know or say you can move xxx amount of weight, I don't know, man... Is it really worth it?

I know several guys that bench more than me and I blow them out of the water in terms of aesthetic and I actually have a better developed chest. I sit there and watch them destroy their shoulders and fail to really stimulate the pecs.

Only fucking dipshit meatheads care what your "bench is bro."

Post 30-35 years old, if you're maxing on flat bench like a dumb ass and trying for new PRs, you're begging for a tear. Flat bench is one of the most dangerous exercises.

You can have your ego lifts. I'll take rolling around, injury free, looking better in my mid 30s.

Edit: I now realize, this is posted in the power lifting section. That considered, I still stand by what I said. But I understand it more if you're pursuing the actual sport of power lifting. I just have strong feelings about low IQ ego lifters. I first thought this was in the BB section.

Last edited:
I know several guys that bench more than me and I blow them out of the water in terms of aesthetic and I actually have a better developed chest. I sit there and watch them destroy their shoulders and fail to really stimulate the pecs.

Post 30-35 years old, if you're maxing on flat bench like a dumb ass and trying for new PRs, you're begging for a tear. Flat bench is one of the most dangerous exercises.

You can have your ego lifts. I'll take rolling around, injury free, looking better in my mid 30s.

Edit: I now realize, this is posted in the power lifting section. That considered, I still stand by what I said. But I understand it more if you're pursuing the actual sport of power lifting. I just have strong feelings about low IQ ego lifters. I first thought this was in the BB section.
No I totally agree with you guys. I ego lifted when I was younger which attributed to a couple injuries. Over the years though I've been very cautious about technique. I always follow periodization periods with short durations of hypertrophy...so I focus on both size and strength. I'm getting out of the military so cardio endurance mainly running for time I won't need to do anymore... That and keep my bodyweight at a low number based on BMI(an outdated system). I plan on competing in the next or so in powerlifting. I weigh 215 atm, squat and deadlift 660 but my bench won't budge passed 385. I would compete around 200.I could easily move up a class but want to stay competitive. If I could push my bench numbers up , I would have a good chance of making nationals.

I always had a hard time gaining on all three lifts significantly Anyways at the same time. Usually squat and deadlift kind of go together but pushing my squat hard always beats up my shoulders and effects bench progress. And if you just gained 60lbs on both your squat and deadlift I'd say that's damn good. If I'm training to do a full power meet my best bench progress is usually by not squatting and deadlifting heavy the same week. So let's say week 1 on Monday I'd squat heavy,bench moderately focusing on volume and longer pauses since your weak off your chest(if I read that right) and do some speed deadlifts. Week 2 I'd squat for speed and volume,bench heavy and pull heavy. Then repeat alternating between week 1 and 2. Every week I'd do some speed benching on Thursday and my other assistance work throughout the week. That's what always worked for me as a good balance.

I always had a hard time gaining on all three lifts significantly Anyways at the same time. Usually squat and deadlift kind of go together but pushing my squat hard always beats up my shoulders and effects bench progress. And if you just gained 60lbs on both your squat and deadlift I'd say that's damn good. If I'm training to do a full power meet my best bench progress is usually by not squatting and deadlifting heavy the same week. So let's say week 1 on Monday I'd squat heavy,bench moderately focusing on volume and longer pauses since your weak off your chest(if I read that right) and do some speed deadlifts. Week 2 I'd squat for speed and volume,bench heavy and pull heavy. Then repeat alternating between week 1 and 2. Every week I'd do some speed benching on Thursday and my other assistance work throughout the week. That's what always worked for me as a good balance.
I will try that and see if I can make more progression. I have seen similar training cycles like that but haven't tried them. I start another 10 week training cycle in two weeks. I'm gonna make adjustments and see if I can't hit the magic 400 on bench. What's sad is I've hit 400 plenty of times but never consistent with the other two main lifts. Seems similar to what you said. One of my lifts always suffers lol. :/

i have a very small ribcage which is probably why bench is my worst lift (been lifting about 9 months)

my ohp will soon be the same as my bench if im not careful

Wow no real advice i bet you go pretty wide slowly start bringing in your hands over a few weeks take some pressure off the shoulders put the on triceps and lats louie Simmons said a close grip will help your wide grip you will lose some lbs off the bench but it will build back up and stronger also it will save your shoulders

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have just recently achieved a double bw bench press raw at a height of 6'0. I would recommend some form of block periodization. Let me make this simple for you brother. Train for 6 weeks getting as big and muscular as possible using a ton of assistance exercises that don't necessarily have to carry over to your bench but help develop the muscles associated with a strong bench and raise work capacity...., lots of weighted pushups, weighted dips, high rep pushdowns with different bars, front side and rear delt work. DONT do any max effort work

After 6 weeks of this start transferring to exercises that will have a direct carry over to your bench press. (Inclines, close grip benches, and overhead presses for me) and slightly lower your volume on the assistance exercises you chose the first 6 weeks. I will even eliminate dumbbell presses at this point since they don't really have a carry over to my flat bench. Do this for 4 weeks.

There is also a "realization" phase with block periodization, which is basically deloading. Take a week off and really recover man...., sauna, massage, contrast showers, etc. This should allow you to hit your all time best bench.

If you must use anabolics stick to mass building compounds the first 6 weeks, at the 4 week transmutation phase you can add in Halo or tren. Remember the goal the first 6 weeks is to gain as much muscle mass as possible, you don't really start training the nervous system until 4 weeks out so I see no point to use tren or anything harsh. I personally didn't use these compounds to hit mine, but I also wasn't competing in powerlifting either.

You do realize this is POWERLIFTING/strongman discussion forum correct??? You may be surprised to learn tha bench press is one of 3 lifts in powerlifting... LMAO... BTW the bench press is still a great mass builder for bodybuilders as well.

Trying to get a big bench is not ego lifting and you have nothing to be apologetic for. Some dumb opinions shouldnt keep you from your goals.. The only issue with you is your rotator cuffs.. Ive never had shoulder issues but im right about where you are in bench ..Remember raw lifters will have squat and dead 100-300lbs ahead of the bench.. Try diff methods especially dynamic work which allows for more training with less stress on shoulders.. Use a sling shot for overload and to hgo heavy w/o stress on cuffs. Do your rehab rotator lifts every week not just when recovering from a surgery. It will keep them in shape. Take extra care to warmup and do variation of bench every cpuple weeks and bench heavy on flat bench only so often. Also strengthen TRIS ALOT with weighted dips floor press etc
No I totally agree with you guys. I ego lifted when I was younger which attributed to a couple injuries. Over the years though I've been very cautious about technique. I always follow periodization periods with short durations of hypertrophy...so I focus on both size and strength. I'm getting out of the military so cardio endurance mainly running for time I won't need to do anymore... That and keep my bodyweight at a low number based on BMI(an outdated system). I plan on competing in the next or so in powerlifting. I weigh 215 atm, squat and deadlift 660 but my bench won't budge passed 385. I would compete around 200.I could easily move up a class but want to stay competitive. If I could push my bench numbers up , I would have a good chance of making nationals.

Work on developing a strong back, delts and Triceps. These all need to work together to get a strong bench. Also, work on powerlifting type form for max weight. Firmly planted feet pulled up close to the buttocks and an arched back. Bench the bar low on the pecs and keep elbows tucked in.

I'm not saying to tear you down, but you've beat yourself up that bad and are still concerned about how much weight you can move on what is essentially an ego-lift? If you are planning on competing in a power lifting contest, I guess I could understand that, but just to know or say you can move xxx amount of weight, I don't know, man... Is it really worth it?

As for me inclined bench (to pump all chest parts) and triceps training are best to improve bench press. When i can't up my bench i start to do french press etc (to pump triceps) and any other exercises for chest.

I've been steady improving squat and deadlift. I just finished a 10 week program and added a generous 60lbs on both lifts. However, my bench press has always been stubborn. Even with a fair amount of gear and a good diet. I'm lucky if I can gain 5-10lbs in a 3 month period. Any tips for increasing strength? I generally have a weaker press towards the bottom of the lift. I have had three torn rotators in the past so I know this doesn't help. I currently don't have any pain with help from tb500, some mk, and tweaking my form. Any input would be appreciated.

My best gains for bench press came when I limited my front delt work. Mainly concentrated on side and rear delts and my bench shot up like crazy! Hope this helps also relied on Rick Gauglers training style. I also have a bad rotator now so don’t go heavy anymore and use other movements for chest.

Try competition style paused bench press, and 3 second paused bench press. These both helped my lagging bench greatly and ive benched over 2x BW @ 220

Rack presses, JM press, slight incline DB press.

Strong lats

Also chain/band work.

Who cares how you look though if you are still weak AF - All show and no go is useless in my book too.

I train OHP, shoulder press and arnold press for my shoulders (and other stuff that wouldn't impact my bench)

and dips, pushdowns, overhead extensions and close grip bench for my tris.

I have the exact same sticking point. Try getting more speed off your chest in order to get past that sticking point. At least that's what has worked for me in the past. Also, try to engage your lats and train your lats harder! they're super important for that point in the bench and I know I could use more lat engagement.

Rack presses, JM press, slight incline DB press.

Strong lats

Also chain/band work.

^^^+1

band work can have a tremendous impact ..esp if you'v never used them before

-close grip work
-weighted dips
-lat work

power rack is your friend
floor presses

..just some thoughts OP, even though my best heavy/PR days are behind me

Staff online

• LATS