over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Benefits of walking

Biggerp73

Verified Customer
Registered
Verified Customer
Since Quarantine first started Ive gradually taken more and more walks. It started as a way to relax, unwind, lower my blood pressure, so I could get a decent sleep. But then it became a habit of getting out of the house for getting out of the house sake. Staying couped up inside was just not fun. It's gotten to the point that every couple of hours sitting at my desk, I get up and get outside to refresh, recharge, clear my head, get some air. The benefits of the regular short strolls (10-30m each) is noticable in terms of mental health, cardio health, and even a bit of spinal and joint health. Even my shoulders have benefitted from the gentle swing of my arms. I now think daily walks should be an integral part of everyone's routine - for mental health, for heart health, for the spine and entire biomechanical system, etc. Even the the guy who struggles to put on weight, should still take walks, because this form of cardio really doesn't burn extra calories to a significant extent above basal anyways.

Since Quarantine first started Ive gradually taken more and more walks. It started as a way to relax, unwind, lower my blood pressure, so I could get a decent sleep. But then it became a habit of getting out of the house for getting out of the house sake. Staying couped up inside was just not fun. It's gotten to the point that every couple of hours sitting at my desk, I get up and get outside to refresh, recharge, clear my head, get some air. The benefits of the regular short strolls (10-30m each) is noticable in terms of mental health, cardio health, and even a bit of spinal and joint health. Even my shoulders have benefitted from the gentle swing of my arms. I now think daily walks should be an integral part of everyone's routine - for mental health, for heart health, for the spine and entire biomechanical system, etc. Even the the guy who struggles to put on weight, should still take walks, because this form of cardio really doesn't burn extra calories to a significant extent above basal anyways.
Totally agree that just walking (heck movement of any kind) is better than sitting at a desk. In the past few years, the few times I've gone on semi-vacations I wind up walking 20-30k steps a day and eating like absolute trash and wind up losing a couple pounds. "Sitting is the new smoking" may be a little excessive but sadly it's not terribly far off. The mobility and just general "feel good" benefits shouldn't be undersold either.

In my first phase of a diet I typically do a small caloric reduction of 2-300 and increase my steps to atleast 10k a day. I work a desk job and typicallly end up at 3-4K normally, so this increase actually seems to lean me out pretty nice.

im going to try to keep these steps up, especially my morning walk in my next bulk as well as I suspect it should help with things like appetite and bp.

Funny you posted this I read this after walking the dog this AM. When I'm not traveling for work and it's warm out I've been doing 45 minute walks every morning and 10 to 15 minute walks later in the day totally about 60 minutes a day. I feel better, I'm getting into much better shape, bloodwork the best it's ever been, etc. I usually do walk fast enough my HR gets up to around 115-125 (RHR is around 65) and sometimes on the shorter walks I'll push it to get my heart rate a little higher but I honestly love it...so does my dog lol.

Biggerp, how is your heart doing now? I seem to remember you having some trouble awhile back. I think you are doing much better these days? The walking is great for the heart, even if you don't hit the target zone. Sunshine and vitamin D link too. I need to get into this habit.

Great post. I have noticed the same and I can never slack because I have a dog and if he doesn't go out he let's me know :eek::D Regular walks keep the body operating more efficiently in general and that also includes digestion. As a result I would always recommend trying to fit walks in after meals.

What started off as short walks, has turned into long hikes at the forest preserve I go to daily.

It's a 5 mile trail that circles all the way around, and I do the whole thing on days the sun's out, and I'm looking to finish whatever podcast I'm listening.

As a man recovering from back surgery, I can almost eliminate all pain by just walking instead of sitting or lying down. Even pre surgery walking relieved so much pain especially if I were in a pool

So good. The mental health benefits for me are priceless, feel so calm and content afterwards. What's a good heart rate for best cardiovascular benefits?

I try to do tons of walking

So good. The mental health benefits for me are priceless, feel so calm and content afterwards. What's a good heart rate for best cardiovascular benefits?
The old guide I think was 70 to 80% of your max. Figure max on 220 minus your age. Thats the old school way.

You fellas see these people running looking like death? mostly older folks but damn... why? just fast walk seems way way better. They all look like skinny / fat ready to collapse wtf?

You are spot on, it’s proven to help your heart, memory, metabolism, and there are no negatives to it.
Walking is amazing, and there are so many studies proving how good it is for you.
Glad to hear it’s helping you out brother, it’s great you are keeping your health up.

This is a cool read on walking, fantastic post

In 2015 I walked 1,200 miles during lunch and on weekends and my HDL was crazy high! I now prefer bike riding but my HDL is over 10 points lower (still good but not great), and I attribute the better numbers to walking.

Teddy Roosevelt thought that a healthy man should be able to walk 50 miles over three days and in under 20 hours . . . meaning the clock starts on day 1 when you start and then stops when you finally quit that day (with breaks WHILE STILL ON THE CLOCK as being permissible). You do this again on day 2 and 3 too. I was considering it and did walk 16 miles in 4:40 a few Saturdays ago (and that included a 15 minute break at the halfway point). I kept myself occupied with several podcasts :D I didn't continue with days 2 and 3 but I think I will later this year.

As far as calorie burn, I always used 1/2 a calorie per lb of bodyweight per mile. Meaning a 200 lb person will burn 100 calories every mile or 200 calories every TWO miles. If you are willing to devote an hour a day (catch up on your podcasts :D) at 4 MPH (15 minute miles), then a 200 lb man can burn 400 calories from just walking . . . that's nearly a lb loss every week just due to walking.

When we were in Italy last summer for vacation, I felt better than ever and walked more than I have ever in my life. I was 50 years old with heart failure too. I need to get out this summer and do it again. Never felt better. Lifting works some, but the walking does more for my feeling of well being. My heart arrhythmia was better.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131