over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bent Over Rows - BB vs DB

Subject line was what he was referring to- Yates and Kroc rows

Look up Dorian Yates back workout "Blood and Guts" and watch how he barbell rows. Or watch how he teaches it in his MD Back Training seminar. Tbh, Ronnie Coleman does it pretty much the same too. It's just a barbell row where you stand up about 60-70 degrees , which makes it very very effective at destroying your lats assuming you grip it shoulder width-narrow too.

As for Kroc Rows, just youtube Kroc Rows. It's pretty popular...watch Matt Kroc do it with 300lb dumbbells. It's pretty much just a 1 arm db row where you bring the db more toward your upper back rather than into your hip/waist(for lats), or chest. It pretty much trashes your upper back hard, and transfers to deadlift very well from my own experience.

can anyone provide an illustration or link??>

Yates rows:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9duznC1IZQ]Bent over rows Dorian Yates style - YouTube[/ame]

Kroc rows:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4DjsU10leQ]MuscleTech: 60 Seconds on Muscle -- Kroc Rows - YouTube[/ame]

I'm unable to perform yates rows as I cannot fully supinate my left hand (elbow surgery). Kroc rows are a great variation that I use occasionally.

Last edited:
Do you guys use underhand or overhand when doing yates rows? the fear of tearing a bicep has always turned me off to underhand grip, which caused Yate's bicep tear too. I don't even mixed grip on DL.

Do you guys use underhand or overhand when doing yates rows? the fear of tearing a bicep has always turned me off to underhand grip, which caused Yate's bicep tear too. I don't even mixed grip on DL.

Absolutely no underhand . Even Yates says it's not necessary anymore, and he used to really advocate it. Just do it overhand.

Also, I don't think that was a very good video of a Yates Row.. he was too upright IMO. You need to be more bent over than that...That was really awful form IMO

youtube dorian yates u can see his exact technique.
I can't do barbell rows at all. my lower back is shot all to hell.
dumbells are fine, i do them slow negative, imagine my arm is a hook...i feel it really well. i use it as my third move and only need 150 for 8-10 reps.
if i do it sooner i have to figure out how to add weight, cuz ours only go to 150.

Barbell incorporates more overall core /lower back/ etc. Personally, I feel more in my lats directly from DB's.

When I see most people do barbell rows they are only slightly bent over so I can't see it working the last that well unless you really bend over.
I also see people do some really cheesy db rows with more weight than they can handle. What rep range do you guys like with DB's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

youtube dorian yates u can see his exact technique.

I can't do barbell rows at all. my lower back is shot all to hell.

dumbells are fine, i do them slow negative, imagine my arm is a hook...i feel it really well. i use it as my third move and only need 150 for 8-10 reps.

if i do it sooner i have to figure out how to add weight, cuz ours only go to 150.

Use the smith machine to do barbell rows...less lower back strain, great lat activation if u PULL elbows hard.
I actually prefer doing it this way especially at end of workout.

I believe both work well. I like using the DB on high volume days and the barbell on heavy days.

When I see most people do barbell rows they are only slightly bent over so I can't see it working the last that well unless you really bend over.
I also see people do some really cheesy db rows with more weight than they can handle. What rep range do you guys like with DB's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have it completely the opposite.

If they completely bend over, they use less lats. In fact- they pretty much don't use their lats for crap. They are using rhomboids/traps/teres/erectors and little lats...

The more upright they are up to about 50-70 degrees, the more the lat activation increases.

You have it completely the opposite.

If they completely bend over, they use less lats. In fact- they pretty much don't use their lats for crap. They are using rhomboids/traps/teres/erectors and little lats...

The more upright they are up to about 50-70 degrees, the more the lat activation increases.

Interesting. Do you bring it to your lower stomach or higher to below your ribs. I would also like a freaky upper back. Deads helped a lot but I want a thick upper back.

Lower stomach.

Ok well other exercises can be used for upper back, most people Row for lats imo

Look up Dorian Yates back workout "Blood and Guts" and watch how he barbell rows. Or watch how he teaches it in his MD Back Training seminar. Tbh, Ronnie Coleman does it pretty much the same too. It's just a barbell row where you stand up about 60-70 degrees , which makes it very very effective at destroying your lats assuming you grip it shoulder width-narrow too.

As for Kroc Rows, just youtube Kroc Rows. It's pretty popular...watch Matt Kroc do it with 300lb dumbbells. It's pretty much just a 1 arm db row where you bring the db more toward your upper back rather than into your hip/waist(for lats), or chest. It pretty much trashes your upper back hard, and transfers to deadlift very well from my own experience.

I never noticed that about krock rows. So like pulling it towards the bottom of your chest?

Yeah pretty much. This allows you to use a ton of weight since it kind of more an up and down movement, and smashes upper back hard. Really transfers to Dl well IMO and from experience and from what matt Kroc says. Better if you watch him do it and see for yourself. But yeah its great exercise for upper back, if not one of best Imo

I've seen him do them before, some with some body English and slight swinging and some more controlled sets. I just never noticed he pull up toolset chest. Do you pull the dumbbell up on your side a little bit to get full rom?

Here's a cool row variation I found online:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA4tneIbx0s"]Chest supported scrape the rack bb rows to ribs + rows to m - YouTube[/ame]

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member