over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Best cardio for heart health

I'm drugged to the gills, I've already had ventricular ablation done and it failed to help. I think mine is no worse because of it. Ive got a long thread on here about it all. My ejection fraction is only 20% and much of my heart is dead. My valves are ok.

Nowadays stress brings mine on too, and alcohol. Avoid alcohol! I've had 2 trips for cardioversion because of wine.

I live in a community in South Phoenix where I walk trails and hills. I just walk with my German Shepard. I am a heart patient as we..

during lockdown I walked a couple of miles every day and did 4 sets of hill sprints (maybe like 100m at a reasonable gradient) once or twice a week.

Lost a ton of weight and resting heart rate dropped from 84bpm to 57bpm. I know that's not the only indicator of heart health but I thought it was pretty cool.

I am a contrarian to the HIIT benefits for CARDIOVASCULAR health. This is based purely on anecdotal evidence...not supported by science (yet). I have personally known 3 close friends who suffered heart attacks after/during HIIT training. All were in their late 40's. All were in good shape (on face value). 2 died, 1 lived. Here is my personal belief (not supported by science but it makes sense to me):

We are all blessed with the flight/fight response to threats. We can do amazing things such as run lightning fast when being chased by a lion or lifting a semi-truck if your kid is trapped underneath. IMO, this response is designed to be tapped on rare occasion. For example, my jeep can go up to 110mph. But if I regularly drive it at 110mph the engine will blow. Much like our hearts. We can race them up to incredible levels in a fight or flight situation. But if you continually do it, several times per week, your heart will blow out, just like the engine in a car. Sure it CAN work that hard, but SHOULD it? You are purposely putting yourself in fight/flight mode by going all in on HIIT.

The same theory could be applied to bodybuilding, but instead of looking at the heart muscle, lets apply to the skeletal muscle. In a fight or flight situation COULD you deadlift 1000lbs to save your child pinned under a car? YES. Should you then try to deadlift 1000lbs several times per week? Hell no.

I would say the best cardio training when considering risk/reward would be weight training (actually a moderate form of HIIT if you think of it) along with lower intensity steady state exercises such as taking a brisk walk, walking stairs, or riding a stationary bicycle.
Heart attacks don't just happen, there is always an underlying condition, in the vast majority of cases it is CAD (coronary artery disease).

Having a healthy heart is about keeping ones veins and arteries in good shape. The actual amount of work a heart needs is not that much. It is just another muscle. I wouldn't put an 80% load on a quad and work it non stop for an hour and think I was doing it justice. When I look at people in their 90's or over 100 you do not hear about them doing aerobics even though it has been around for most of their lives. They just did everything moderately. I saw a study in Runners world magazine around 1980 that showed that people the run marathons through out their lives live about 4 months longer then the average. I saw on last year with 10's of thousands of runners that showed when they get into their 60's they have as much heart disease as every one else and their arteries have aged from all the from all the stress. Intense aerobics produces a lot of catabolic and stress hormones that age tissue.
It seems like you are mixing together two completely different things, intensity and duration. Optimial heart health requires daily exercise and yes about an hour has been found to be ideal. The heart is not just another muscle, smooth muscle vs skeletal muscle, completely different also.

Also, it is common knowledge that EXTENDED cardio is unhealthy, such as marathon length running.

Heart attacks don't just happen, there is always an underlying condition, in the vast majority of cases it is CAD (coronary artery disease).
I agree. I think MOST of us have some type of underlying condition. None of these guys knew they had an underlying condition until they had a heart attack. Heck, one guy just had a coronary calcium scan a month earlier and had a ZERO rating. Still had a heart attack. My theory is, why take the risk with HIIT? You simply don't know what you have going on inside your ticker. Don't tempt fate.

I agree. I think MOST of us have some type of underlying condition. None of these guys knew they had an underlying condition until they had a heart attack. Heck, one guy just had a coronary calcium scan a month earlier and had a ZERO rating. Still had a heart attack. My theory is, why take the risk with HIIT? You simply don't know what you have going on inside your ticker. Don't tempt fate.
It was doing heavy squats to failure, or at least as close as you can solo, when i had my heart attack from a blood clot.

Didn't John Meadows also have his in the gym lifting?

It seems like you are mixing together two completely different things, intensity and duration. Optimial heart health requires daily exercise and yes about an hour has been found to be ideal. The heart is not just another muscle, smooth muscle vs skeletal muscle, completely different also.

Also, it is common knowledge that EXTENDED cardio is unhealthy, such as marathon length running.
While I was being loose with my scenarios. The studies I have seen and posted seem to show a duration of a half hour at most with moderate intensity is all that is needed. More doesn't seem to help and may actually be worse. But as the government and institutions are not putting money into how much is to much exercise there are not a lot of info on it. Trying to get people to move is of higher interest. But as I said earlier pretty much all people living into their late 90's or 100's don't have a history of doing aerobics only be moderately active from what I have seen.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131