over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Best Exercises for Chest Growth (Upper)

In theory and in science the decline should be the most effective exercise for chest since it most closely replicates the pec's function - bringing the arm down and across the body.

But how many guys do you know that built great chests from decline benching?

You can also emphasize the upper portion a bit on a flat or decline by doing a guillotine press - positioning yourself so the bar comes down over your throat - but again, how many guys built their chests doing that?

i love this movement but it's really rough on the shoulders (the guillotine press).

Whats the ideal angle for incline? 45 seems to much 30 for me has seen some good progress but always looking to improve my execution of exercises

Anyone with good experiences on neutral grip (machine) presses? Almost never used it tbh

i love this movement but it's really rough on the shoulders (the guillotine press).

How low do you bring the bar down? For that movement I would be careful with bar depth as it can hard on the shoulders as you stated.

Whats the ideal angle for incline? 45 seems to much 30 for me has seen some good progress but always looking to improve my execution of exercises

I change but between 45-15 with around 30 being most common. When I do a push day I like doing the higher incline at the end of my shoulder workout moving into my chest.

Anyone with good experiences on neutral grip (machine) presses? Almost never used it tbh

I think neutral grip presses can be great. Although it's not so much one movement/grip for me that suddenly started "working" and more an overall change in approach. I like to rotate grips/angles so will try and throw in a neutral/hammer grip press every week or so. My gym has a Panatta chest press machine and the neutral grip feels great on that. Any free motion machines are great for neutral presses. On rare occasions I may do some neutral grip db presses as well making sure to push the db's together as hard as possible as I press them upwards.

Last edited:
For me personally, I've found two items to make any chest exercise work properly: Execution and Tempo.

By execution, I mean retracting of the shoulder blades together and down, then pinned on the bench to keep the chest high. A lot of people do this, a lot of people don't. To take it further, I've found the harder I squeeze my shoulder blades together throughout the entire set, the harder my chest works and contracts better. After a good chest day, my upper back and traps get sore as well.

By tempo, I prefer 3-0-1-0. Really emphasizing the negative has worked greatly for me.

As for exercise selection, I like low incline and high incline smith presses and dumbbell presses. I'm able to target the upper chest with dips as well.

I do 10 push-ups immediately following each set on chest and it’s made a huge difference over a years time span

both hurt my shoulders a lot, particular too low a seat on the pec-deck. Hammer, forget it. Do you guys do a limited ROM on these? I have the flexibility but get very bad pain in my rotator cuff and anterior delt.

yes, if you see the post on his ig you see that it's more about the holding than the push so you're never extending thru a full range of motion. Most of the time as the reps get higher I'm barely able to get a quarter of the way extended and then it's back into the loaded position at the bottom and hold. The pump is insane. My training partner has a bad wing and it kills me to to low seat pec deck, I had to drop it but this exercise we're both going thru no problem. If you're pushing too far up you're also engaging your tris which defeats the purpose so cut the range of motion and focus on the hold.

How low do you bring the bar down? For that movement I would be careful with bar depth as it can hard on the shoulders as you stated.
i usually touch it down to my clavicles or sometimes a few inches below them. i don't use heavy weight at all as it can be really painful and i have no spotter.

yes, if you see the post on his ig you see that it's more about the holding than the push so you're never extending thru a full range of motion. Most of the time as the reps get higher I'm barely able to get a quarter of the way extended and then it's back into the loaded position at the bottom and hold. The pump is insane. My training partner has a bad wing and it kills me to to low seat pec deck, I had to drop it but this exercise we're both going thru no problem. If you're pushing too far up you're also engaging your tris which defeats the purpose so cut the range of motion and focus on the hold.
thanks. will give it a shot next time i train chest.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131