over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Best split for men's physique

jrock00123

Registered
I decided to do my first show next year. Given my current size and genetics I think men's physique is my best bet. I've been training for many years and currently have have a solid (but small) foundation. 6 ft, 181lb, approx 13%. Shelby is handling nutrition and cardio programming so no issues there.

For the last three months I've been using Fortitude Training. I'm making steady progress, but I'm considering switching to a high volume split for the next 10 weeks to complement a new AAS cycle. After that I'd move back to FT.

I'm looking for input from physique competitors. What does your split look like? I'm looking to create a routine that emphasises physique. It seems that delts, abs, and lats are the drivers in this category. Here's what I'm thinking:

Mon: Shoulders / Abs
Tues: Back / Biceps
Wed: Legs (extra calf work)
Thr: Chest / Triceps
Fri: Shoulders / Abs (30+ rep range)
Sat: Back / Biceps (30+ rep range)
Sun: Off

I guess anyone should know where you are at right now regarding symmetry and proportions before trying to suggest a split.

I don't think you are going to get any groundbreaking responses as a Men's Physique split is going to be be identical to a BBer's split probably.

I don't see how Fortitude training wouldn't work with your physique goals either.
I do like the idea of toggling between a traditional high volume approach and something like Fortitude though.

I think something like Fortitude for 6 weeks then 6 weeks of a Mountaindog program would work extremely well.

Last week's progress photos attached. Please forgive the lack of posing technique.

Attachments

• 2016-04-30 09.54.55 - 2.jpg
    2016-04-30 09.54.55 - 2.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 429
  • 2016-04-30 09.55.08.jpg
    2016-04-30 09.55.08.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 415
well thank god you don't have to pose in mens physique...

:eek:

other than that....you have a soild base to compete in a couple years.

:cool:

Don't think next year is realistic, but you probably should be discussing drugs and not training.

Anyhow, this is what I do to bring a body part:

AB training MON/WED/FRI

Weak body part will be trained A and B. Half of the rest of the body on A, half on B.

So, you mentioned abs, back and delts.

MON:

BACK
DELTS
ABS
CHEST
TRIS

WED:

BACK
DELTS
ABS
LEGS
BIS

FRI:

REPEAT MONDAY

And so on.

TUE/THU/SAT is just for stretching, some light cardio and posing.

Are you currently on a cycle?

You are in great hands with Shelby. Why not have him do your workouts too?

If you want to compete in physique you should never train legs.

It's forbidden

:naughty:

Just train a guy for Physique. I agree with Tenny, you are a few years out still. You need some muscle on that body in the right areas. Your 6 days a week training is not helping either. I would not have you training more than 3 to 4 days a week and doing basic movements with heavy weight. As far as cardio, you don't need much now. I don't know about Shelby's Diets, but I would have you eating a lot of good foods and yes, some fat will come on with that in the off season..

Just train a guy for Physique. I agree with Tenny, you are a few years out still. You need some muscle on that body in the right areas. Your 6 days a week training is not helping either. I would not have you training more than 3 to 4 days a week and doing basic movements with heavy weight. As far as cardio, you don't need much now. I don't know about Shelby's Diets, but I would have you eating a lot of good foods and yes, some fat will come on with that in the off season..

I'm 45 so I'd be looking at the masters class. Shelby thinks he can get me ready for next year, but I won't do it if I'm going to embarrass myself.

The training you're describing is close to the Fortitude Training I'm doing now. I have not started the 6-day, just playing with the idea of high volume for 8-10 weeks. I was looking for training split ideas from other physique competitors.

I am steadily recomping on the current diet. Shelby's plan is to add size while staying fairly lean.

Been on 250-300mg test and 10mg MK-677 for the last 8 weeks.

New cycle starting Monday:
-----------------------------
Mixed blend product: tren ace 100mg, mast prop 75mg, test prop 50mg

- 10 weeks @ 0.30ml per day (tren 210mg, mast 158mg, test 105mg per week)

- Last 4 weeks add in 50mg winstrol per day

- I've also just started a trail of GW-1516 (Cardarine). 5mg per day pre-workout.

well thank god you don't have to pose in mens physique...

:eek:

other than that....you have a soild base to compete in a couple years.

:cool:

Thanks a lot ya dick - that made me spit my coffee all over my desk! :D

No hate on you OP - I am not one to talk I promise. You look a lot younger than 45 too

Last edited:
Shelby is handling (...)

Shelby thinks...

(...)

Shelby's plan...

Honestly, I don't understand this thread.

If you've got a top coach handling, thinking and planning your stuff what do you think we can bring to this table?

This storming of ideas will only add confusion to your journey.

Stick to whatever Shelby says and stop over thinking things.

The best recipe for me was: adding poundage to exercises for a good amount of reps which itself necessitated an appropriate diet from which to recover and build - No specific set days, so long as everything was/is hit frequently.

Honestly, I don't understand this thread.

If you've got a top coach handling, thinking and planning your stuff what do you think we can bring to this table?

This storming of ideas will only add confusion to your journey.

Stick to whatever Shelby says and stop over thinking things.

He's doing my nutrition and cardio programming only. Training with FT has been going very nicely. We're making good progress.

The thread is to understand other physique competitors training routines. What, if anything, they do differently.

I was looking to switch things up for a short time and take a break from FT. I'd go right back to after 8-10 weeks. It's a fantastic program.

I'm not seconding guessing anything from my coach.

The best recipe for me was: adding poundage to exercises for a good amount of reps which itself necessitated an appropriate diet from which to recover and build - No specific set days, so long as everything was/is hit frequently.

Thanks brother. How frequently are you training each body part. What is your typical rep range?

Thanks a lot ya dick - that made me spit my coffee all over my desk! :D

No hate on you OP - I am not one to talk I promise. You look a lot younger than 45 too

Yeah I know my posing sucks. Luckily I'm going to be working with a local competitor on physique posing -- yes there are actual poses [emoji3]

You do need some more muscle but I remember asking Jay Cutler about competing and I wasn't as big as I wanted to be.... He replied: I'm not as big as I want to be but compete. So compete when YOU want to.

I think that's excellent advice.

I don't think your split matters much at all. I like 3 on 1 off OR 2 on 1 off
-F2S

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil