advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Best way to avoid glutes while doing legs?

VNV

Registered
My glutes are huge. They're completely overdeveloped. They always have been, even when I started lifting. Because of this, I feel like my legs don't get hit as hard as they could; my glutes do so much of the work.

What's the best way to workout legs, with the least amount of emphasis on the glutes? I'd like to involve my glutes as little as possible when doing legs. How can I do this?

Pre-exhaust with extensions.
Squats, hack squats, leg presses in the top ROM.

Glutes activate in deeper ROM. Also, narrower stances over wide stances.

Sissy squats.

Check out John Meadows and Tom Platz doing hacks on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leg extensions...........all others use the glutes to assist in the movement.

I have the exact same issue. I removed deadlifts. Started squaring at top / middle ROM with accommodating bands (more resistance at top), lots of leg extensions. This has worked nicely so far. My quads are growing and glutes are still just fine.

keep your weight towards the toe for more quad stimulation on squatting movements.

Do NOT keep your weight towards your toe unless you're doing very specific movements (sissy hacks). That's just asking for knee issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don't have long legs:D
-JS

As mentioned above, i'd also prioritize front squats or back squats. If you are going to do any back squatting switch to high bar Olympic style squats, this will keep your trunk more upright and you'll have less glute and hamstring activation. Looking into actually weightlifting shoes with a heel would be very helpful as well. Tom Platz used to use these :)

I had this problem. I fixed it. Try this out:

-Leg Extension
-Leg Press

If you want to keep squats in your program, do it while pre-exhausted from 1-2 exercises(as people already suggested).

I like front squats after regular squats to hit the quads harder

hacks w feet and knees close the whole rom (maybe a few inches from bottom depending on the sleds stopping point) and not letting your butt wink at the bottom...

How is this considered a problem? Chicks love a big ass. The only issue I can think of is certain pants not fitting, but clothes not fitting is already an issue and kind of a bitter sweet one.

How is this considered a problem? Chicks love a big ass. The only issue I can think of is certain pants not fitting, but clothes not fitting is already an issue and kind of a bitter sweet one.

Its not unless your fine with having no quad sweep...

Its not unless your fine with having no quad sweep...

Front squats may help. Maybe some pre exhaust with leg extensions then front squats.

Certain variations of leg placement on the leg press and squats will hit your quads harder as well.

That's a hard one to avoid for sure. Also keep the weight on the heels. Major knee probs. If you put weight on front of your feet.

Sissy squats

And if you do them right they are brutally hard.

I use to love doing ext with drop set then place a chain around side of ext machine with a tricep push down v bar attached and superseted sissy squats leaning back holding to chain

Feet together heavy leg press with shortened range of motion(top) keeping constant tension

you can rely on the leg extension yeah, but other than that it's just a question of learning to place the tension on certain muscles.. it's just a skill needed in bodybuilding.

let's face it all other quad exercises... squat variations, leg presses, machine squats etc will move both the knee and hip joint, the glutes are the primary hip extensor so they will activate whether you like it or not, you've just gotta get better at putting the tension through your quads and flexing them hard against resistance. Changing foot positions and angles can help too, and starting the exercises with a pump in your quads from leg extensions could help too.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131