over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Beta Alanine Useless?

I can say the biggest I have looked while being natural my supplement routine did include beta-alanine in every pre-workout protein drink. I would use about 2-3 grams with 5 grams creatine and glutamine with about 10-15 grams whey. I never even knew about the tingling people talk about. I never experienced that besides it burning my lips if the shake touched then yet it resolved by wiping my lips off.

Last edited:
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphys.2018.00111/full

Here's the abstract. The full text is available at the link above.

Purpose: To investigate the influence of β-alanine (BA) supplementation on muscle carnosine content, muscle pH and the power-duration relationship (i.e., critical power and W′).

Methods: In a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study, 20 recreationally-active males (22 ± 3 y, V°O2peak 3.73 ± 0.44 L·min−1) ingested either BA (6.4 g/d for 28 d) or placebo (PL) (6.4 g/d) for 28 d. Subjects completed an incremental test and two 3-min all-out tests separated by 1-min on a cycle ergometer pre- and post-supplementation. Muscle pH was assessed using 31P-magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS) during incremental (INC KEE) and intermittent knee-extension exercise (INT KEE). Muscle carnosine content was determined using 1H-MRS.

Results: There were no differences in the change in muscle carnosine content from pre- to post-intervention (PL: 1 ± 16% vs. BA: −4 ± 25%) or in muscle pH during INC KEE or INT KEE (P > 0.05) between PL and BA, but blood pH (PL: −0.06 ± 0.10 vs. BA: 0.09 ± 0.13) during the incremental test was elevated post-supplementation in the BA group only (P < 0.05). The changes from pre- to post-supplementation in critical power (PL: −8 ± 18 W vs. BA: −6 ± 17 W) and W′ (PL: 1.8 ± 3.3 kJ vs. BA: 1.5 ± 1.7 kJ) were not different between groups. No relationships were detected between muscle carnosine content and indices of exercise performance.

Conclusions: BA supplementation had no significant effect on muscle carnosine content and no influence on intramuscular pH during incremental or high-intensity intermittent knee-extension exercise. The small increase in blood pH following BA supplementation was not sufficient to significantly alter the power-duration relationship or exercise performance.

I personally believe its a waste. I also believe supplement companies look for any study to validate putting it in their prewkt products. Here is the explanation for that.. It gives the consumer a tingle thus the consumer thinks "Oh wow this stuff is working cause im all tingly" This is the same concept as when toothpaste companies added the foaming to the toothpaste. The foaming is unnecessary but because of it you think its working. All you need is small amount of fluoride to protect your teeth. The foaming action does nothing.

I personally believe its a waste. I also believe supplement companies look for any study to validate putting it in their prewkt products. Here is the explanation for that.. It gives the consumer a tingle thus the consumer thinks "Oh wow this stuff is working cause im all tingly" This is the same concept as when toothpaste companies added the foaming to the toothpaste. The foaming is unnecessary but because of it you think its working. All you need is small amount of fluoride to protect your teeth. The foaming action does nothing.
I remember guys thinking they were all fired up from the tingling, "yea bro I'm feeling it, I took 2 scoops" lol.

I love it, it's one of the only supplements I can noticeably tell gives me more energy towards the end of my workouts. I don't get the tingling thing from it at the doses I do.

I get the tingling, which increases with dosage, but it does work for cardio work. Worth it for any athletes who need a boost with conditioning.

Definitely keep the dosage as low as possible though; the tingling can get distracting at higher doses.

After a few yrs now of supplementation I No longer get the Tingles.
I use upwards of 5 gms Pre.

I remember guys thinking they were all fired up from the tingling, "yea bro I'm feeling it, I took 2 scoops" lol.

I enjoy the tingles :eek::D It's one supplement I am not too bothered about. It has it's uses though. I am using it now at 5g+ pre and intra. I got the bag on a massive sale for something silly like $5 so thought why not. I wouldn't look out for it or buy it at full price. BA is in most pre workouts though so I going to use it indirectly quite a lot in the future.

I enjoy the tingles :eek::D It's one supplement I am not too bothered about. It has it's uses though. I am using it now at 5g+ pre and intra. I got the bag on a massive sale for something silly like $5 so thought why not. I wouldn't look out for it or buy it at full price. BA is in most pre workouts though so I going to use it indirectly quite a lot in the future.

Same, love tingles and if you dosing it at 5grams its cheap

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner