over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Beta Alanine Useless?

greaser13

Registered
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphys.2018.00111/full

Here's the abstract. The full text is available at the link above.

Purpose: To investigate the influence of β-alanine (BA) supplementation on muscle carnosine content, muscle pH and the power-duration relationship (i.e., critical power and W′).

Methods: In a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study, 20 recreationally-active males (22 ± 3 y, V°O2peak 3.73 ± 0.44 L·min−1) ingested either BA (6.4 g/d for 28 d) or placebo (PL) (6.4 g/d) for 28 d. Subjects completed an incremental test and two 3-min all-out tests separated by 1-min on a cycle ergometer pre- and post-supplementation. Muscle pH was assessed using 31P-magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS) during incremental (INC KEE) and intermittent knee-extension exercise (INT KEE). Muscle carnosine content was determined using 1H-MRS.

Results: There were no differences in the change in muscle carnosine content from pre- to post-intervention (PL: 1 ± 16% vs. BA: −4 ± 25%) or in muscle pH during INC KEE or INT KEE (P > 0.05) between PL and BA, but blood pH (PL: −0.06 ± 0.10 vs. BA: 0.09 ± 0.13) during the incremental test was elevated post-supplementation in the BA group only (P < 0.05). The changes from pre- to post-supplementation in critical power (PL: −8 ± 18 W vs. BA: −6 ± 17 W) and W′ (PL: 1.8 ± 3.3 kJ vs. BA: 1.5 ± 1.7 kJ) were not different between groups. No relationships were detected between muscle carnosine content and indices of exercise performance.

Conclusions: BA supplementation had no significant effect on muscle carnosine content and no influence on intramuscular pH during incremental or high-intensity intermittent knee-extension exercise. The small increase in blood pH following BA supplementation was not sufficient to significantly alter the power-duration relationship or exercise performance.

I don't care for it... I hate the "tingles" that you get from it.

No place really in a BB style type routine. Useful for endurance athletes.

I havent used it in years but remember it burning my lips when ever i tossed it into my protein shakes. I do recall being told it worked well with creatine.

I actually liked the tingling I get from it, which is weird I guess. I suppose it just made me feel like I'd taken a supplement that was actually doing SOMETHING -- it turns out that's maybe all it does though!

I fucking hate beta alanine. My ears and lips itch like crazy. Even if it did work I wouldn't use it. I cant even concentrate

It's fucking been useless. I'm still surprised some 'ahead of the curve' are still using it in their products. Maybe the formulators will now omit that in the future and replace it with any number of the worthwhile compounds we know work amazingly well.

I love it, it's one of the only supplements I can noticeably tell gives me more energy towards the end of my workouts. I don't get the tingling thing from it at the doses I do.

I truly think the only way it might work is after months of [email protected] 4x daily. It's just not very practical and a 3.2g dose or higher in pre workouts gives 95% of people tingling. I have never noticed any sort of extra energy...or reps from it IMO and that's over about a decade since it's been popular.

Ive used it since 2007. theres too much literature and studies on it showing it works

If you know about carnosine levels they can take some time to build. Easy to maintain. 4-6 grams a day is fine

I Love it. I have A large amount of Lactic acid buildup during my workouts.
Could be from the Gallon of Milk a day. But It helps Buffer it so I can get an extra rep or two and recover faster in between sets as well.

Useless supp imo. trained with or without it. still the same output in the wt room. keep in pulled out no diff

CM great supp
beta ala waste

i will never buy it. haven't used in like 2 year's.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

In order to saturate your levels, you need to be dosing for at least 12 weeks @ 3.2 grams. If you don’t want tingles, take with carb meals and low dose throughout the day, but I wouldn’t waste my time or money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faBx55xX41Y"]The Pros And Cons Of Beta Alanine Supplements | Straight Facts With Jerry Brainum - YouTube[/ame]

I'm surprised more don't talk about it/use it as an indirect antioxidant. Of course if it doesn't increase carnosine then it wouldn't work.

It's been shown to improve endurance but I don't think by that much. It's ridiculously cheap though

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisaac062224
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws