over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Better Eddie?

method2madness

Registered
It's been a while since I did one of these and I thought this one would yield some very interesting results. They are from different eras and have very different physiques but lets compare and ask who was the better Robinson, Robby Robinson or Eddie Robinson. For me I recognize the iconic Robby Robinson as a standout in our sport but my physique preferences lead me to supporting Eddie robinson on this one. Thick, full muscle bellies and no lacking bodyparts unless you count his bicep injury late in career. Dude had great conditioning as well. My vote goes to Eddie Robinson. THoughts, opinions???

This is like comparing apples to oranges. Their structures were very different & every person will have their preference (blocky & thick vs. aesthetic w/small joints & small waist, etc). No disrespect but it's like comparing Lee Priest and Gunter Schlierkamp. Personally I would rather look like Robbie w/better leg development. I'll tell you one thing, Eddie Robinson was one of the strongest pros of his time. I believe he set a national bench press record for teens back in the day. Probably could've been a world champion powerlifter had he decided to go that route. I don't think he did much after the WBF folded and i believe he had a bad beck injury that he discussed in an interview a few years ago.

One has 1 pro win, while the other has many pro wins, including Mr. Olympia. You tell me.

c125d302637abeddb4cb4599e33b4d22.jpg

79beea835f7e44e64fbd84e88bfcd115.jpg

Robby was inducted into the hall of fame in 2013.

Robby on modern day bodybuilding. The quality of physiques and the direction it went.

met Eddie Robinson back in the day at his biggest, good lord. he was nice as could be and bullshitted for awhile, great dude.

The younger people, I think they will choose Eddie, he is a more modern type of physique, the 90 Vs 70-80 that Robbie represents

Robby on modern day bodybuilding. The quality of physiques and the direction it went.

He makes a lot of good points and he’s not wrong because a lot of it is his opinion. A lot of what he said comes down to beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
My opinion differs on that I look at bodybuilding as building as much muscle as possible, trying to become a real life comic book character. Pushing the threshold of what your muscle building capabilities are and trying to exceed it. I never was impressed with Arnold as kid but I saw Lou and was in awe. I saw Dorian and I wanted to know everything about him. Marcus Ruhl, Ronnie, etc. I acknowledge and respect the more aesthetic guys but I really only am a fan of the big, strong mass monsters. Unpopular opinion but I’d rather have the physique of Jordan Peters than Chris Bumstead.

Robbie had weak legs but that was par for the course back then with the exception of Platz

Why didn’t guys back then have have big legs for the most part?
your guess is as good as mine.
I'll throw out a few ideas:
  • Lack of training knowledge
    • We now know that most people's legs respond better to 10-15 reps
  • Lack of exercise variety
    • We now have so many versions of leg presses at different angles, leg extension and leg curl machines, etc.
    • Legs are the longest limbs for most people (meaning more variety in ideal ROM) and the limited leg equipment of 40+ years ago very likely limited progress - if you couldn't feel the muscle well on it then too bad, no other options
  • Lack of lifting equipment
    • Belts, knee sleeves, knee wraps, etc., let us push beyond what we'd do without them
  • Mentally holding themselves back
    • Once guys saw Dorian Yates at 300lbs. in the offseason, you started to see more and more guys reach that size
    • Perhaps Tom Platz showing how big legs could get in his prime inspired guys to really start pushing to grow theirs

The younger people, I think they will choose Eddie, he is a more modern type of physique, the 90 Vs 70-80 that Robbie represents
Been a long time since i was grouped in the younger people category! Been following BB'ing since the early 70's. I like powerful more then pretty. But i also like watching Vasily Alekseyev compete, great showman.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws