over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Better Quinn?

yeah, elevating the heels makes it almost like a totally different exercise. so many people would get what they're looking out of squats if they did that. Definitely the better way to squat for most bodybuilders. How many reps was he getting with 6 plates? That's pretty damn heavy!

I don't remember his exact sets.

I do know I worked my way up to 7 plates for 6 with that 2x4.
My knees have the damage to prove it :p

Would have been nice if it took off, because I think it would have made the sport more popular.

I agree. I think Vince had the right idea. How often do you hear the question, "what was ______ like outside of the gym?" I think Vince understands that very well obviously and i think the character aspect of pro-wrestling would've carried over very well into bodybuilding. Vince is a visionary. Timing seemed to be the biggest obstacle with the WBF. Now would've been a great time for it. Actually, the timing couldn't have been worse with steroid trial that was looming against Vince at the time. It's incredible how many scandals Vince and WWF/WWE have been through and still managed to come out the other side mostly intact.

I'm glad the WBF never took off. The fitness industry attracts way too many dipshits as it is. Could you imagine people in the gym and on social media behaving like "characters" like it was the norm? Most people at the gym suck as it is. I don't need them putting on an act like WWE wrestlers too. I want to see more John Meadows, Lee Haney, and Lee Labrada personalities in the sport instead of the clown show that seems to dominate it. So many people acting like buffoons with their ridiculous Instagram posts.

Everyone keeps wishing the sport was more popular, but despite never being mainstream, it's been around for decades and people are always interested. I’d say popularity isn’t an issue because anyone who lifts weights for a week is taking their shirt off to show their "gains" and talking about how they’re the next big competitor. I watched all those Valuetainment interviews with bodybuilders and that Patrick guy keeps talking about more popularity and more prize money. He mentions that Athleticon could potentially threaten the IFBB, especially if they offered a top prize of a million dollars or more. For sure some guys would absolutely gravitate towards that, but I think some wouldn’t. In the Yates interview he mentioned being offered a contract with the WBF, but for him it was about winning the Mr. Olympia. The Mr. O has been around for so long as the top contest that there’s a level of prestige and dynasty that goes with it. Some competitors will want to try and win the same trophy that Arnold, Haney, Coleman, Cutler, Yates etc won. If another federation came around in the seventies or early eighties I could have seen the tide turn if it had offered more. But this will be the 55th anniversary of the biggest show in bodybuilding. It’s been around too long for it to lose its allure as the title everyone wants. The Arnold Classic has absolutely exploded since 1989 and you still have guys sitting that show out to focus on the Olympia.

imagine people in the gym and on social media behaving like "characters" like it was the norm
That wouldn't have been a problem......there was no social media back then.

I'm glad the WBF never took off. The fitness industry attracts way too many dipshits as it is. Could you imagine people in the gym and on social media behaving like "characters" like it was the norm? Most people at the gym suck as it is. I don't need them putting on an act like WWE wrestlers too. I want to see more John Meadows, Lee Haney, and Lee Labrada personalities in the sport instead of the clown show that seems to dominate it. So many people acting like buffoons with their ridiculous Instagram posts.

Everyone keeps wishing the sport was more popular, but despite never being mainstream, it's been around for decades and people are always interested. I’d say popularity isn’t an issue because anyone who lifts weights for a week is taking their shirt off to show their "gains" and talking about how they’re the next big competitor. I watched all those Valuetainment interviews with bodybuilders and that Patrick guy keeps talking about more popularity and more prize money. He mentions that Athleticon could potentially threaten the IFBB, especially if they offered a top prize of a million dollars or more. For sure some guys would absolutely gravitate towards that, but I think some wouldn’t. In the Yates interview he mentioned being offered a contract with the WBF, but for him it was about winning the Mr. Olympia. The Mr. O has been around for so long as the top contest that there’s a level of prestige and dynasty that goes with it. Some competitors will want to try and win the same trophy that Arnold, Haney, Coleman, Cutler, Yates etc won. If another federation came around in the seventies or early eighties I could have seen the tide turn if it had offered more. But this will be the 55th anniversary of the biggest show in bodybuilding. It’s been around too long for it to lose its allure as the title everyone wants. The Arnold Classic has absolutely exploded since 1989 and you still have guys sitting that show out to focus on the Olympia.

Generational differences for sure

Most guys here would happily train in an abandoned warehouse with no mirrors in this pandemic, if it meant they had access to weights. The instagram guys are probably depressed that their dopamine fix isn't coming in now that they can't post their selfies.

Yates can say what he wants now after the fact, if the money would have been right then and for the long term, i'm sure he would've jumped. There were probably other reasons. it's a sport. it's a job. most of these guys, if not all, will put money first and rightfully so. After all, few bodybuilders are making the big bucks. Many are struggling (hence the shady activities many get involved in).

A few of the guys who made the jump have come out and said they did very well from their WBF deals. It's true though that they suffered when they tried to come back to the IFBB and that did hurt them in the long run. I hear what your saying though about gym goers acting like schmucks, no doubt about it. However, i think with or without competitive bodybuilding being popular people are going to act like idiots regardless. Social media took care of that. Personally, i love training alone in a gym and having it to myself. Never having to wait for equipment, timing my rests, never hearing shitty music, so many advantages to having a home gym, not to mention having to deal with dummies.

Saw Cormier in clothes and i don't think he was full offseason but then i don't think he was in prep either. Oddly, he didn't look massive. He looked like he had incredible shape and muscularity (very small-waisted) but not massive by any means. Meanwhile, Lee Priest looked like he was from another planet. his hands looked like softballs with Vienna Sausages for fingers. His hands were fucking massive, as were his forearms and arms. This was the late 90's btw. Both looked impressive but very different. One of the biggest guys i ever saw in the gym was Jeff Long and it was the offseason. Guy looked like he was well over 300 lbs.

Yea cormier never looked as big as some other guys in street clothes. Not like Tom prince or dillett at least. Flex looked impressive because of his cartoon injected shoulders and arms at least... And speaking of massive hands, Tom prince before he retired had hands that looked to weigh 8lbs a piece.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131