over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bicep curls - Wide grip vs Narrow grip

If you just look at the bicep working you can see what happening.

Hold the arm bent 90deg and give a thumbs up with your hand... Look at the bicep.
Now turn the thumb out, supination the hand. Watch the bicep contract more.

No w imagine a straight bar, as you go wider you have to further supinate the wrist at the top...

Personally I like to do shoulder width for straight BB standing curls. If I want to really focus on the top contraction in a supinated position I will use DBs so I can really turn the hand. It also allows the muscle to go through the full rotating motion involved in supination the hand.

I go wide grip most times because it allows my to lift heavier weight.

Choose the grip that allows you to lift more weight with more reps.

we agree on something lol...

to me a curl is a curl... my bicep can pull my forearm up and down in a straight plane...thumb to delt thats it...how your arms are assembled has more to do with where that plane of motion is inner or outer...... safest movement for reps for the win imo, i never noticed a thing from switching hand positions in out or twisting the weight at top for "contraction"...

Logical thinking would dictate if one head is getting stimuli then the other is a well, it's not an overly complex muscle, both fullfill pratically the same function, the only difference is the long head has some minor action on shoulder movement.

IMO use whatever grip feels comfortable for you and focus on always ysing the most amount of weight on whatever rep range you pick.

Last edited:
mostly i think it is about curling the weight up and not swinging it up with the shoulders.

We are picking fly shit out of pepper.

My opinion.

It does not matter. Do them any way you want; inside out, outside in, upside down, downside up, backwards,
forwards, incline, decline, bla, bla, bla. Machines (cams, no cams), free weights, cables it does not matter. Just
do them. Your arms will look the same regardless what you do or how you do them. A curl is a curl is a curl.

You can work too hard, do too much, or not work hard enough. Those are the only things of any value in my
simple mind. When in doubt, do less. Just be consistent and for heaven’s sake, don’t hurt yourself. That is the
fasted way to stop all progress. That and getting too fat which will disguise your best efforts.

And remember; genetics dominate, trumps all other cards. If t raining truly has a meaningful effect on the
‘shape’ of a muscle, then all bodybuilders would eventually look alike. I think it was Arnold who told me (or I read
what he said) that he would have done anything to have the legs of Tom Platz. Anything. And Arnold being Arnold,
and having what he had at his disposal, I have no doubt that if he could have changed the shape of his legs or
the ultimate size of his legs, he would have. But he didn’t.

The primary function of biceps is supination (think opposable thumb); the secondary function is flexion
(think curling); the tertiary function is raising the elbow. (Do all those three things simultaneously and will have
the perfect curl.) So, forget wide or narrow grip. Make an attempt towards supination, t rain in a controlled
progressive fashion and let the cards land where they may.

Now let’s go talk about lunch boxes. :)

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner