over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bicep workout...

I think most guys are training their arms wrong to begin with. Especially biceps, they're using weight that is way too heavy. The next time you do some standing dumbbell curls, start at 15 lb db's and make it hard to do 12 reps with them. Also, keep your hands in straight line with your forarms, most people want to curl the hands in and when you do that you put more on the forearm than the bicep. Next, go to 20 lb dumbells and do the same thing, every rep your goal is to squeeze that arm like your flexing it, to force as much as possible into that bicep. Make them hurt, force yourself to make a set of 12 w/ 20 lb dumbells hard, every rep you need to tell yourself the form on the last one wasn't good enough and the next one needs to be better. Now go to 25's, again same thing. By the time you get to 30's or 35's, if your doing them right you may find them more difficult than they used to be. I think very few people should be using db's heavier than 50's for biceps. VERY FEW

Hey guys thanks alot for the advice. I usually do biceps on chest days and triceps on back days. I always thought more for arms was better so i always did alot of reps. I usually do 2 sets of 21's, 3 sets of drop sets preacher curl, and 3x10 of reverse curls. Tris I do 3 sets 135lb weighed dips til failure, ropes 3x10 and single oh ext 3x10. I guess that's y my arms don't grow probably overdoing it. So 5-8 reps is ideal?

That does sound like the problem.. Not necessarily 5-8 reps - but just don't overdo it.. For starters just try doing 1, maybe 2 bi workouts, like straight-bar curls, 3-4 sets.. 8-10 reps that you really gotta work for.. And they need their time off to heal - a full week IMO.. Also, I don't think doing bis on chest day is the greatest idea if you're looking to put size on.. IMO chest should be left for it's own day..

I'm not saying I know exactly what I'm doing - but here's how I break it down for days:

1) Chest
2) Bis / Back
3) Shoulders
4) Tris / Traps
5) Legs - (although I'm guilty of not having done legs for a WHILE lol)

Anyways, I'd been off lifting for a few years, wasn't eating good, and was really thin - still toned, but just lacking size.. So for my New Year's Resolution I started working out again and eating good..

I do the 1st 4 exercises I listed, and do 1 every other day, so I'm getting back to each exercise every 8 days.. I feel the rest is really important, and I go for the philosophy that less (but hard) is better.. For chest, shoulders, and back I do 2 exercises - but for bis, tris, and traps, only 1 (but intense) exercise.. And in the past 2 months doing this while eating tons of protein (which I wasn't doing before at all), I'm up 15-20 lbs (depending on what time of day I weigh myself) - no gear or anything..

Last edited:
longlac ... 3 sets of 8 on back day for biceps- straight bar curls - no cheating - squeeze the bicep at the top and come all the way down. use 85% of your 8 rep max for all 3 sets. they will grow, but you have to get past the mental block of doing VERY little work. After every 2 bicep workouts, add 5lbs to the weight you are using

right on!

I think most guys are training their arms wrong to begin with. Especially biceps, they're using weight that is way too heavy. The next time you do some standing dumbbell curls, start at 15 lb db's and make it hard to do 12 reps with them. Also, keep your hands in straight line with your forarms, most people want to curl the hands in and when you do that you put more on the forearm than the bicep. Next, go to 20 lb dumbells and do the same thing, every rep your goal is to squeeze that arm like your flexing it, to force as much as possible into that bicep. Make them hurt, force yourself to make a set of 12 w/ 20 lb dumbells hard, every rep you need to tell yourself the form on the last one wasn't good enough and the next one needs to be better. Now go to 25's, again same thing. By the time you get to 30's or 35's, if your doing them right you may find them more difficult than they used to be. I think very few people should be using db's heavier than 50's for biceps. VERY FEW

amen.

you guys that have built formidable arms with less than five sets or so a week please indulge me with some pictures

anyone here do 21's with a barbell? do 7 reps from below the belt to the belt, then 7 from your chin down to your titties, then 7 full curls without stopping.

nothing pumps my bi's even remotely close

im waiting.....come on, i did expect a few.....

ok here's mine

im 5'4" tall, arms presently in this pic measure 17" cold, im gonna guess my bf to be about 10%, don't know for certain.

Attachments

• DSC02029b.jpg
    DSC02029b.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 545
  • DSC02034b.jpg
    DSC02034b.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 471
I don't think this was intended to end up a pissing contest, lol.
It's just mainstream info that for bis, less is USUALLY better, since so many people overtrain them which is counterproductive when you've reached a plateau in size.. Your arms look good, but you have it alot easier than some other guys trying to get their arms big, being 5'4. :)

I don't think this was intended to end up a pissing contest, lol.
It's just mainstream info that for bis, less is USUALLY better, since so many people overtrain them which is counterproductive when you've reached a plateau in size.. Your arms look good, but you have it alot easier than some other guys trying to get their arms big, being 5'4. :)

im not trying to make a pissing contest, i think my arms are just ok, but thanks. not sure why its "easier" for me, that is not true at all, i've been training for a long time, its not easier at all. i just want some proof of these extremely low volume routines, because i don't think they do anything for the vast majority of people

Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise:Volume 32(1)January 2000p 235
Single versus multiple sets in long-term recreational weightlifters
[SPECIAL COMMUNICATIONS: Methods]

Abstract TOP
HASS, C. J., L. GARZARELLA, D. DE HOYOS, and M. L. POLLOCK. . Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 235-242, 2000.

Purpose: The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of increasing training volume from one set to three sets on muscular strength, muscular endurance, and body composition in adult recreational weight lifters.

Methods: Forty-two adults (age 39.7 ± 6.2 yr; 6.2 ± 4.6 yr weight training experience) who had been performing one set using a nine-exercise resistance training circuit (RTC) for a minimum of 1 yr participated in this study. Subjects continued to perform one set (EX-1;N = 21) or performed three sets (EX-3;N = 21) of 8-12 repetitions to muscular failure 3 d·wk-1 for 13 wk using RTC. One repetition maximums (1-RM) were measured for leg extension (LE), leg curl (LC), chest press (CP), overhead press (OP), and biceps curl (BC). Muscular endurance was evaluated for the CP and LE as the number of repetitions to failure using 75% of pretraining 1-RM. Body composition was estimated using the sum of seven skinfold measures.

Results: Both groups significantly improved muscular endurance and 1 RM strength (EX-1 by: 13.6% LE; 9.2% LC; 11.9% CP; 8.7% OP; 8.3% BC; and EX-3 by: 12.8% LE; 12.0% LC; 13.5% CP; 12.4% OP; 10.3% BC) (P < 0.05). Both groups significantly improved lean body mass (P < 0.05). No significant differences between groups were found for any of the test variables (P > 0.05).

Conclusion: Both groups significantly improved muscular fitness and body composition as a result of the 13 wk of training. The results show that one-set programs are still effective even after a year of training and that increasing training volume over 13 wk does not lead to significantly greater improvements in fitness for adult recreational weight lifters.

Resistance training has become one of the most popular forms of exercise for developing musculoskeletal fitness and overall health (9). Musculoskeletal fitness decreases the risk for orthopedic injury and delays the onset of frailty associated with aging (8,18). Resistance training reduces the risk of coronary heart disease (CHD), osteoporosis, and non-insulin-dependent diabetes and lowers the risk for obesity by elevating resting metabolism when part of a comprehensive exercise program (6,9,21). The physiological adaptations resulting from a well-designed resistance training program include increased strength, muscle hypertrophy, lean body mass, bone mass, connective tissue thickness, and improved physical function (27,28,30).

The beneficial effects conferred by resistance training depend on the manipulation of several factors, including the intensity and frequency of training, and the volume of exercise needed to meet the goals of the individual (9). The volume of exercise is a product of the number of sets completed of each exercise and the number of repetitions completed in each set. For adults interested in general health and fitness, the American College of Sports Medicine and the Surgeon General recommend a weight training regimen that requires a minimum of a single set per exercise for 8-12 repetitions (1,31). These recommendations are based on the time efficiency of single-set programs and the similar improvements in strength observed when comparing single and nonperiodized multiple-set programs (1).

However, Fleck and Kraemer (9) suggest that the use of single-set programs are most appropriate for individuals who are untrained or are just starting a resistance training program. These authors suggest that once initial fitness has been achieved, multiple sets become superior to a single set in acquiring optimal physiological adaptation. Presumably, the proposed greater improvements in performance conferred by multiple-set programs would surpass the time advantages of one-set training. There are few published studies examining the effects of training volume on muscular hypertrophy and strength in previously resistance trained adults. Kramer et al. (16) examined the effects of a single set of weight training exercise to failure and two multiple-set protocols (three sets of 10 repetitions (MS) and a multiple-sets program using varied set and repetition schemes (MSV)) on the 1-RM parallel squat in recreational weight lifters. The results indicated that the 1-RM parallel squat increased significantly in all groups and that the MS and the MSV increased strength significantly more than the single-set group. Conversely, Ostrowski et al. (19) reported that one set per exercise was as effective as two sets and four sets for improving muscular size, strength, and upper body power in recreational weight lifters during a 10-wk total body training program.

Apparently, the optimal volume of resistance training for recreational weight lifters is undetermined. Further, the efficacy of one-set programs have not been evaluated in long-term lifters. The purpose of this study was to determine whether increasing training volume (from one to three sets) would elicit greater improvements in muscular strength, muscular endurance, and body composition in recreational weight lifters. We hypothesized that both weight trained groups would show similar improvements in muscular strength, endurance, and body composition. Further, it was hypothesized that no additional improvements would occur with the higher volume of training.

METHODS TOP
Subjects recruited for this study were between the ages of 20 and 50 yr and were active members of Gainesville Health and Fitness Center (GHFC), in Gainesville, Florida. They were apparently healthy volunteers with no history of cardiovascular disease, orthopedic problems, or other medical conditions that would contraindicate exercise. All subjects were recreational weight lifters with an average of 6.2 ± 4.6 yr resistance training experience who had been performing one set of the nine exercise circuit for an average of 2.7 times a week for a minimum of 1 yr. The training goals of these individuals were improved health and muscular fitness. Descriptive characteristics of the subjects are presented by group in Table 1.

I was lanky all my life so when I started training it was hard to get the mass I wanted on my bi's and tri's. I started this through supersets. I would do 4 supersets of a bi/tri combo to start arm day then typically 4 more pump sets that the weight was lighter with higher reps for bi's. For tri's I would hit one maybe 2 exercises sometimes mass builders and sometimes they would be rope pulldowns, etc... This was a great jump start to growth.

I have since switched to Rest Pause training where I do one set to failure 3x's then do a widowmaker in the 20 rep range along with a static hold, along with lots of stretching. This has been good for me too I do them 2x per 8 days. Training like this chest/back, shoulders/arms, legs with 2 days on 1 day rest.

I'm not the biggest guy around by any means but when i have short sleeves on I get a lot of comments about having "guns".

Also, listen to the overtraining thing because I watch a lot of guys with poor arms in the gym and most of them have the same problem, they do VOLUME, VOLUME, VOLUME and some of them are training like the 2x per week on a little muscle group. :confused:

my arms fluctuate from 18.5 to 19 inches.. depending upon if im dieting or not.. here is a full on diet shot..

Attachments

• IMG_3839_1.jpg
    IMG_3839_1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 662
Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise:Volume 32(1)January 2000p 235
Single versus multiple sets in long-term recreational weightlifters
[SPECIAL COMMUNICATIONS: Methods]

Abstract TOP
HASS, C. J., L. GARZARELLA, D. DE HOYOS, and M. L. POLLOCK. . Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 235-242, 2000.

Purpose: The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of increasing training volume from one set to three sets on muscular strength, muscular endurance, and body composition in adult recreational weight lifters.

Methods: Forty-two adults (age 39.7 ± 6.2 yr; 6.2 ± 4.6 yr weight training experience) who had been performing one set using a nine-exercise resistance training circuit (RTC) for a minimum of 1 yr participated in this study. Subjects continued to perform one set (EX-1;N = 21) or performed three sets (EX-3;N = 21) of 8-12 repetitions to muscular failure 3 d·wk-1 for 13 wk using RTC. One repetition maximums (1-RM) were measured for leg extension (LE), leg curl (LC), chest press (CP), overhead press (OP), and biceps curl (BC). Muscular endurance was evaluated for the CP and LE as the number of repetitions to failure using 75% of pretraining 1-RM. Body composition was estimated using the sum of seven skinfold measures.

Results: Both groups significantly improved muscular endurance and 1 RM strength (EX-1 by: 13.6% LE; 9.2% LC; 11.9% CP; 8.7% OP; 8.3% BC; and EX-3 by: 12.8% LE; 12.0% LC; 13.5% CP; 12.4% OP; 10.3% BC) (P < 0.05). Both groups significantly improved lean body mass (P < 0.05). No significant differences between groups were found for any of the test variables (P > 0.05).

Conclusion: Both groups significantly improved muscular fitness and body composition as a result of the 13 wk of training. The results show that one-set programs are still effective even after a year of training and that increasing training volume over 13 wk does not lead to significantly greater improvements in fitness for adult recreational weight lifters.

Resistance training has become one of the most popular forms of exercise for developing musculoskeletal fitness and overall health (9). Musculoskeletal fitness decreases the risk for orthopedic injury and delays the onset of frailty associated with aging (8,18). Resistance training reduces the risk of coronary heart disease (CHD), osteoporosis, and non-insulin-dependent diabetes and lowers the risk for obesity by elevating resting metabolism when part of a comprehensive exercise program (6,9,21). The physiological adaptations resulting from a well-designed resistance training program include increased strength, muscle hypertrophy, lean body mass, bone mass, connective tissue thickness, and improved physical function (27,28,30).

The beneficial effects conferred by resistance training depend on the manipulation of several factors, including the intensity and frequency of training, and the volume of exercise needed to meet the goals of the individual (9). The volume of exercise is a product of the number of sets completed of each exercise and the number of repetitions completed in each set. For adults interested in general health and fitness, the American College of Sports Medicine and the Surgeon General recommend a weight training regimen that requires a minimum of a single set per exercise for 8-12 repetitions (1,31). These recommendations are based on the time efficiency of single-set programs and the similar improvements in strength observed when comparing single and nonperiodized multiple-set programs (1).

However, Fleck and Kraemer (9) suggest that the use of single-set programs are most appropriate for individuals who are untrained or are just starting a resistance training program. These authors suggest that once initial fitness has been achieved, multiple sets become superior to a single set in acquiring optimal physiological adaptation. Presumably, the proposed greater improvements in performance conferred by multiple-set programs would surpass the time advantages of one-set training. There are few published studies examining the effects of training volume on muscular hypertrophy and strength in previously resistance trained adults. Kramer et al. (16) examined the effects of a single set of weight training exercise to failure and two multiple-set protocols (three sets of 10 repetitions (MS) and a multiple-sets program using varied set and repetition schemes (MSV)) on the 1-RM parallel squat in recreational weight lifters. The results indicated that the 1-RM parallel squat increased significantly in all groups and that the MS and the MSV increased strength significantly more than the single-set group. Conversely, Ostrowski et al. (19) reported that one set per exercise was as effective as two sets and four sets for improving muscular size, strength, and upper body power in recreational weight lifters during a 10-wk total body training program.

Apparently, the optimal volume of resistance training for recreational weight lifters is undetermined. Further, the efficacy of one-set programs have not been evaluated in long-term lifters. The purpose of this study was to determine whether increasing training volume (from one to three sets) would elicit greater improvements in muscular strength, muscular endurance, and body composition in recreational weight lifters. We hypothesized that both weight trained groups would show similar improvements in muscular strength, endurance, and body composition. Further, it was hypothesized that no additional improvements would occur with the higher volume of training.

METHODS TOP
Subjects recruited for this study were between the ages of 20 and 50 yr and were active members of Gainesville Health and Fitness Center (GHFC), in Gainesville, Florida. They were apparently healthy volunteers with no history of cardiovascular disease, orthopedic problems, or other medical conditions that would contraindicate exercise. All subjects were recreational weight lifters with an average of 6.2 ± 4.6 yr resistance training experience who had been performing one set of the nine exercise circuit for an average of 2.7 times a week for a minimum of 1 yr. The training goals of these individuals were improved health and muscular fitness. Descriptive characteristics of the subjects are presented by group in Table 1.

That was a good read thanks hotrocks!!!

One thing i have found successful.. Has been doing any type of preacher curl and only doing 3/4 of a rep.. The bottom 1/4 of the rep just taxes ur forearms.. I have been able to go heavier and get a better feel on the bicep this way.. Forcing it to adapt to the heavier weight and grow...

Wow, thats funny you say that because that realization has just dawned on me a few months ago. I couldnt understand why i couldnt get my lower bis up when i was killin em with all types of weight, rep schemes, and rest periods on preacher. It took me this long to try the 3/4 cause of the whole 'full range of motion' ive had pounded into my head. To bad the last thing i tried is what ended up working :p

my arms fluctuate from 18.5 to 19 inches.. depending upon if im dieting or not.. here is a full on diet shot..

looking good biguns, whats your height and what were your starting measurements before training and that entire time you've only done 3 working sets twice a week?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member