over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bigger Abs?

pt923

Registered
I've been competing for 3 years. My off season weight is around 230-240 lbs. and I will probably diet down to 205 lbs. this year. I can usually get pretty ripped and dry and get my waist pretty small, but one of the problems I seem to have is my abs won't really stick out. I can get down to seeing my 8 abs, but their just flat with no real size. I don't really think this is a carbing up/filling out thing because all throughout my diet they never seem to really stick out. I've tried doing weighted ab exercises and tried high rep exercises and just can't seem to find anything to work. It may just be a genetic thing or you guys may think it IS a filling out thing:confused:, but if you guys could give me some feedback or suggestions I would appriciate it. Or if someone has had a similar situation let me know. thanks. btw, my diet consist of 6 meal a day(every three hours) about 300g protein, 250g carbs, and low fat. Monday and Tuesday before show is 0 carb and start gradually carbing up wednesday, cut water friday night at 6-8:00.

Last edited:
Some guys don't have good abs, because of genetics. I for one have that problem. Try using weights, training 6-8 sets 3 times a week.

Thanks for the reply. Is that to failure on 6-8 reps?

A kneeling rope crunches or decline weighted cruches are great for building thicker abs. Like pesty4077 says 6-8 sets 3 times a week. As for reps and poundages, mix it up bro.

Last edited:
I used to have small abs, then when I lost weight, I went crazy with ab/core exercise 6 days a week. I did that for about a year and a half up until 4 weeks ago. During that time on gh and low dose gear. Well, now they are too big, and when I am wearing a shirt it almost looks like a gut. Now, I am doing abs just once a week hoping that my ab size will go down.

I used to have small abs, then when I lost weight, I went crazy with ab/core exercise 6 days a week. I did that for about a year and a half up until 4 weeks ago. During that time on gh and low dose gear. Well, now they are too big, and when I am wearing a shirt it almost looks like a gut. Now, I am doing abs just once a week hoping that my ab size will go down.

Lol.... Wish I had that problem.

Me too. I think it maybe genetics. I stopped training my abs regularly, over 2 years ago. This year I trained them once a week about 4 weeks out from my show. They have grown constantly over the past two years, with no direct work. I think the heavy compound movements are enough for me to keep them growing.

A kneeling rope crunches or decline weighted cruches are great for building thicker abs. Like pesty4077 says 6-8 sets 3 times a week. As for reps and poundages, mix it up bro.

Correct, two good exercises. Another good one is hanging knee raises with weight between your feet. Try getting at least 12-15 reps. Start light and work your way up.

you might want to try stretching your abs after youre done working them, just lie on your stomach on the floor and hold your top half erect with your arms - this is gonna be painful, might help to make them look thicker/more separated, but you can only do so much to work with what you were given genetically

try this, get a flat bench over to the smith machine, have your shoulders hanging off the end of bench, just drop down a little, arms are locked out. I use a 35 pd plate each side for 12-15 reps. This little bit extra range of motion has really helped me , especially the top ab. I dont have a name for this but it s basically a weighted crunch. Can also be done with db, most peeps like using smith better.

You and me both brother. i had to cut down on abs just get out of hand.

That was me too. I stopped training the altogether. I think the really heavy squats,deads, bentover rows built mine up.

My abs get sore from weighted dips, squats, and deads. It's all about your form.

I'm a firm believer in doing no direct ab work. I prefer small abs anyways, to be honest. Just a personal aesthetic preference.

I like the small midsection/thick upper-torso look.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm dropping my reps down to 12-6, so I hope this helps(never can tell until you try though). My show is in 11 weeks. This may not be enough time to make a noticeable difference, but I'll give it everything I got. I'm doing three shows this year; with my last one being 20 weeks away, so I got some time for that one.

Go all out bro.All the best!

try this, get a flat bench over to the smith machine, have your shoulders hanging off the end of bench, just drop down a little, arms are locked out. I use a 35 pd plate each side for 12-15 reps. This little bit extra range of motion has really helped me , especially the top ab. I dont have a name for this but it s basically a weighted crunch. Can also be done with db, most peeps like using smith better.

I tried these today! Seemed to work my abs very hard with few reps. Thanks a lot for the input. Everything that I read on PM really helps. Thanks again

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws