over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bilateral quad tendon tear

bigdog123

Banned
Ok so 6 weeks ago I was squatting 250kg on Smith machine.

Had done this every week for years. Had started AAS about 3 weeks before after a long lay break and did have some right knee tendonitis.

Got to rep 9 and thought I had a 10th in me.

As I got parallel on 10th rep I didn't have enough to get back up and I remember just being in limbo land a few inches above parallel for a few seconds before my right quad tendon snapped. Sounded like a pad of paper ripping in half. The weight then shifted to my left leg which a second later then also went.

it was fucking horrendous. Ended up on the floor. The weight hit the support.

Next day tendons were reattached and has all gone well since.

I'm now six weeks on and doing ok but a long long way from training legs again properly. AM just planning to walk first and then cycle. Light legs maybe after 4 months. Totally freaked me out and have no inclination to train like that again after bodybuilding for so long.

I'm 40 now and was 250 odd.. Planning to return at 220 and be fitter and safer.

Damn man.

Sorry to hear, it's amazing how indestructible you feel until you injure yourself. Then you're reminded that you're just human. Little more muscle maybe, but by no means special.

Good to see you have a positive attitude.

I'm really sorry to hear that! I hate hearing anyone experiencing a serious injury. All of us put in many years of dedication and it can all be over in an instant!! Heal up and take your comeback slow and steady. Best of luck to you! Keep us posted.

Best of luck going forward.

Had done this every week for years. Had started AAS about 3 weeks before after a long lay break and did have some right knee tendonitis.

As I got parallel on 10th rep I didn't have enough to get back up and I remember just being in limbo land a few inches above parallel for a few seconds before my right quad tendon snapped. Sounded like a pad of paper ripping in half. The weight then shifted to my left leg which a second later then also went.

I'm now six weeks on and doing ok but a long long way from training legs again properly. AM just planning to walk first and then cycle. Light legs maybe after 4 months. Totally freaked me out and have no inclination to train like that again after bodybuilding for so long.

I thought I'd bump this thread to see how OP is doing, because I just did the same - Here's my story:
Since the whole Quarantine thing, obviously the gyms are closed so I've been attempting to get a system down at home, and ironically for about 2 weeks prior to myself getting a bilateral Quad Tendon tear, I was beginning to dial them in pretty well.

For starters, working from home has given me the oppty to get in some '2-a-days' getting a small AM workout in then another one around 5PM as soon as the work day ended. I have 2 30lb dumbbells that I've been walking the top part of my complex holding (approx 600 steps) then I'd walk the entire complex without them (approx 1,100 steps). I'd come back up, grab the weights, do the 600 again, then the 1,100 without, rinse/repeat.

Plus, I'd been taking my dumbbells and just doing low weight/high rep exercises in the sun and I have to say, not only was I getting MORE steps/cardio in than when the gym was open but I was outside in the sun and it was awesome :)
But one day, I saw a guy down by our dumpster doing pull-ups on this awning-type thing that hangs over the side and I thought 'Hmmmm...' so of course, I had to give that a shot and I did, This is where it went bad...

I actually had to climb the little wall that was there in order to get up to where I could grab onto the awning because, looking back I *think* the awning may very well be about 12-14 feet off the ground. So, I did my set and was just thinking "I'm glad I saw that guy doing thus because this is going to be great..' BUT, when I dropped off the the awning I was holding onto, I FORGOT that I actually had to CLIMB up there in the first place (big mistake).

SO, when I dropped my knees IMMEDIATELY buckled, and I was on the ground, unable to straighten either leg. I called my wife (who was at home, thankfully) and asked her to bring down an RTD protein shake and the last 2 bananas that we had (all I'd had before exercise that day was a LOT of coffee and my water bottle) so I figured I was just cramping REALLY bad.

Wife came down and saw my knees looking ALL sorts of messed up and was trying to hold it together, and when nothing was helping my legs, she called the Urgent Care and they said ti come on in. Getting me in the car - I have no clue how I did it, but I did (my wife could NOT lift me) so when I got there they gave me the news - both tendons had pulled away from my patella on each knee. And with all this Covid-19 shit going on, the chances of me getting surgery anytime soon was slim to none.

But thanks to good folks at Emory University here in Atlanta GA - they were able to operate the very next day and I just had my first follow-up appt today where they removed the staples and put my legs into a different set of braces from 100% straight to where they can now bend 30 degrees. Looking at several months of rehab and such but given the circumstances I'm just glad the situation wasn't worse.

My wife works from home and therefore has been such an angel, getting me to the bathroom, have to use one of those rolling hospital shitters (which she cleans out every time) and has been waiting on me hand and foot. I'm very lucky :)

But I wanted to shout out to bigdog123 and see how everything was going. I have to say for being 2 weeks out after the surgery, I feel pretty good getting around with the help of my wife (obviously) and my walker but actually getting out today and having the staples removed I just wanted to see what the rcovery was looking like for the OP of this thread.

So, if you get a chance bigdog123 feel free to chime in and give me an idea as to what I may be up against here or, at least what to expect.
Thanks.

I thought I'd bump this thread to see how OP is doing, because I just did the same - Here's my story:
Since the whole Quarantine thing, obviously the gyms are closed so I've been attempting to get a system down at home, and ironically for about 2 weeks prior to myself getting a bilateral Quad Tendon tear, I was beginning to dial them in pretty well.

For starters, working from home has given me the oppty to get in some '2-a-days' getting a small AM workout in then another one around 5PM as soon as the work day ended. I have 2 30lb dumbbells that I've been walking the top part of my complex holding (approx 600 steps) then I'd walk the entire complex without them (approx 1,100 steps). I'd come back up, grab the weights, do the 600 again, then the 1,100 without, rinse/repeat.

Plus, I'd been taking my dumbbells and just doing low weight/high rep exercises in the sun and I have to say, not only was I getting MORE steps/cardio in than when the gym was open but I was outside in the sun and it was awesome :)
But one day, I saw a guy down by our dumpster doing pull-ups on this awning-type thing that hangs over the side and I thought 'Hmmmm...' so of course, I had to give that a shot and I did, This is where it went bad...

I actually had to climb the little wall that was there in order to get up to where I could grab onto the awning because, looking back I *think* the awning may very well be about 12-14 feet off the ground. So, I did my set and was just thinking "I'm glad I saw that guy doing thus because this is going to be great..' BUT, when I dropped off the the awning I was holding onto, I FORGOT that I actually had to CLIMB up there in the first place (big mistake).

SO, when I dropped my knees IMMEDIATELY buckled, and I was on the ground, unable to straighten either leg. I called my wife (who was at home, thankfully) and asked her to bring down an RTD protein shake and the last 2 bananas that we had (all I'd had before exercise that day was a LOT of coffee and my water bottle) so I figured I was just cramping REALLY bad.

Wife came down and saw my knees looking ALL sorts of messed up and was trying to hold it together, and when nothing was helping my legs, she called the Urgent Care and they said ti come on in. Getting me in the car - I have no clue how I did it, but I did (my wife could NOT lift me) so when I got there they gave me the news - both tendons had pulled away from my patella on each knee. And with all this Covid-19 shit going on, the chances of me getting surgery anytime soon was slim to none.

But thanks to good folks at Emory University here in Atlanta GA - they were able to operate the very next day and I just had my first follow-up appt today where they removed the staples and put my legs into a different set of braces from 100% straight to where they can now bend 30 degrees. Looking at several months of rehab and such but given the circumstances I'm just glad the situation wasn't worse.

My wife works from home and therefore has been such an angel, getting me to the bathroom, have to use one of those rolling hospital shitters (which she cleans out every time) and has been waiting on me hand and foot. I'm very lucky :)

But I wanted to shout out to bigdog123 and see how everything was going. I have to say for being 2 weeks out after the surgery, I feel pretty good getting around with the help of my wife (obviously) and my walker but actually getting out today and having the staples removed I just wanted to see what the rcovery was looking like for the OP of this thread.

So, if you get a chance bigdog123 feel free to chime in and give me an idea as to what I may be up against here or, at least what to expect.
Thanks.
Hanquin, if you have any questions feel free to hit me up. I had bilateral quad tendon tears and reattachment surgery going on 4 years ago at 45.

A year and and a half ago a guy I know at my gym, a competitive powerlifter, was under around 700lbs. He was wearing wraps. His technique was sound, he was doing everything right and his legs just gave out. His happened in the exact same spot as yours. Right after he started driving up out of the hole both quad tendons completely ruptured and he ended up getting folded up under the weight which caused him to tear blow on of his knees out. Then in the hospital before surgeries he found out he had congestive heart failure.

I thought the dude was done for good, but he did everything right and got himself in better shape and after 8-9 months was back to pulling over 600 again. I think his squat took a bit longer, probably just out of fear. I moved away so I'm not really sure where he got back to.

Anyways, you can recover quicker than you think.

Thanks.

Hi

I'm 10.5 weeks now post operation. I noticed the first 5-6 weeks things were quite slow and then suddenly things have picked up. The biggest issue has been the stiffness in the knees, and gaining knee bend. My flexion now is around 105-110 degrees after they are warmed up sufficiently. Straight out of bed though or if I sit or stand too long they drop to maybe 70 degrees. Takes a minute or two.
Swelling is the other issue. I can walk now without crutches for a few miles but an hour later there will be swelling around the patella. Swelling is definitely worse later in the day.
I have lost muscle for sure but that was inevitable. Anyone going from squatting 550 regularly to nothing for 11 weeks will do so. I can now do bodyweight squats and with knee supports on walk a mile in around 20 minutes. The big long braces I had came off after six weeks and I now have smaller knee supports for a few more weeks.
I've been doing a few hours rehab a day on my own this must have helped. Knee bends, bw squats, I can walk up stairs now but coming down I go sideways, lots of 8-10 inch Step ups etc. Some mobility drills, it all helps.

A year and and a half ago a guy I know at my gym, a competitive powerlifter, was under around 700lbs. He was wearing wraps. His technique was sound, he was doing everything right and his legs just gave out. His happened in the exact same spot as yours. Right after he started driving up out of the hole both quad tendons completely ruptured and he ended up getting folded up under the weight which caused him to tear blow on of his knees out. Then in the hospital before surgeries he found out he had congestive heart failure.

I thought the dude was done for good, but he did everything right and got himself in better shape and after 8-9 months was back to pulling over 600 again. I think his squat took a bit longer, probably just out of fear. I moved away so I'm not really sure where he got back to.

Anyways, you can recover quicker than you think.

since my injury happedned, exactly the same as you describe, I have noticed a lot of people have done similar, many one leg, not two though. But most are back after 5-6 months training fairly well again. Probably 2/3 their original bests. My plan is lighter weight in the future anyway and more supersetting. Maybe 350, higher reps incorporating other exercises in a giant set. No point ever risking this again, it'll be 4-5 months out the game the time I'm good to squat 225 again.

Hanquin, if you have any questions feel free to hit me up. I had bilateral quad tendon tears and reattachment surgery going on 4 years ago at 45.

Hey kandaandm, I sent you a PM. I appreciate any input you may have to offer

Hi

I'm 10.5 weeks now post operation. I noticed the first 5-6 weeks things were quite slow and then suddenly things have picked up. The biggest issue has been the stiffness in the knees, and gaining knee bend. My flexion now is around 105-110 degrees after they are warmed up sufficiently. Straight out of bed though or if I sit or stand too long they drop to maybe 70 degrees. Takes a minute or two.
Swelling is the other issue. I can walk now without crutches for a few miles but an hour later there will be swelling around the patella. Swelling is definitely worse later in the day.
I have lost muscle for sure but that was inevitable. Anyone going from squatting 550 regularly to nothing for 11 weeks will do so. I can now do bodyweight squats and with knee supports on walk a mile in around 20 minutes. The big long braces I had came off after six weeks and I now have smaller knee supports for a few more weeks.
I've been doing a few hours rehab a day on my own this must have helped. Knee bends, bw squats, I can walk up stairs now but coming down I go sideways, lots of 8-10 inch Step ups etc. Some mobility drills, it all helps.

Man, well it sounds like you're doing pretty well (all things considered). When mine occurred, I was lucky enough to be right near Emory hospital here in Atlanta GA and they actually have an Orthpoedic and Spinal clinic where I actually had the surgery performed. I was told (by the Dr) that I was only one out of about 100 cases in recent, RECORDED medical history where someone had ruptured both tendons at the same time (which would have included YOU, as well) so of course EVERYONE was interested so said doctor brought in a team of ortho surgeons to talk to me (not to mention that I have a TON of scars - one is on my side from a 3rd degree burn where I actually have shark cartilage in place of my ribs *story for another time* so they wanted to see THAT as well lol.

But since the Covid-19 situation, surgeries are being turned away and in order to get this approved, I was told that they had to take it 'all the way up to the board' (whatever THAT means) so I had it the next day. I'm thinking this wasn't considered an 'elective surgery because it rendered me - basically, a paraplegic - and I live on the 3rd floor of my apt. But for having the surgery 2 weeks ago exactly today, things are a lot better than I had originally thought they'd be, but it's still pretty tough to deal with. But as I said earlier, my wife has been incredible.

Third floor apartment is crazy
I have a house in the UK. They have me a hospital bed in my house as I couldn't get in a normal bed. How are you getting in and out of bed?
Going to the toilet was rough for the first 6 weeks, even now I can't fully squat down as it's too low so have to be careful. It's a very bad injury for sure, I'm in week 11 and obviously much better every week but I think another month I'll be like a normal person, able to do things without thinking about my legs first. I can make the stairs now without holding on, coming down is hard, that's going to be another few weeks for sure. Not many people have done this. I would have only done right one but I was stuck at bottom of squat with 240kg on back and left one went also. Make sure you eat well, do 2-3 hours rehab a day, focusing on flexion as much as anything and in two months you'll be a lot better. I can today stand in one leg and bend 30 degrees, I couldn't hardly bend on both legs a month ago.

Savikas did both patella tendons and 8 months later win Lithuanian strongest man years back. Jean Pierre fux retired after it. Many others have done one leg and came back , branch Warren won Arnold's 8 months later .

Third floor apartment is crazy
I have a house in the UK. They have me a hospital bed in my house as I couldn't get in a normal bed. How are you getting in and out of bed?
Going to the toilet was rough for the first 6 weeks, even now I can't fully squat down as it's too low so have to be careful. It's a very bad injury for sure, I'm in week 11 and obviously much better every week but I think another month I'll be like a normal person, able to do things without thinking about my legs first. I can make the stairs now without holding on, coming down is hard, that's going to be another few weeks for sure. Not many people have done this. I would have only done right one but I was stuck at bottom of squat with 240kg on back and left one went also. Make sure you eat well, do 2-3 hours rehab a day, focusing on flexion as much as anything and in two months you'll be a lot better. I can today stand in one leg and bend 30 degrees, I couldn't hardly bend on both legs a month ago.

Well, I had to have a hospital toilet the first 2 weeks because my legs were in immobilizers, and wouldn't fit in the bathroom. That was awful, wife had to help me. Getting upstairs was easy enough just pulled myself up by the hand rails. I'm just over a month now, gone to PT twice and my braces are allowing my legs to bend to 60 degrees. Been doing upper body workouts pretty regularly and stretching legs, etc. Left leg is a little worse than my right one. Without the brace, I can bend it about 67 degrees and the right one I can bend 70. All in all, coming along well, but man I'm tired of these braces. Getting in bed isn't much of a problem, but if I'm not laying down, it's actually more comfortable standing than sitting, oddly enough.

Yowza! Bilateral quad tear! It hurts just to think about it. I hope your recovery is fast and smooth.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear