YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bill Phillips real deal or snake oil salesman?

i remember hanging out around frogs in solana beach, just so i could have a chance at meeting duchaine..

this was back in the mid-late 90s.. during the time of no forums outside of MFW
it's fair to say it was the phillips brothers, tc, duchaine, pa, and kneller who changed the whole game in terms of
ped use, etc.

first time I met duchaine was just dumbluck, at the Hard Rock Café in La Jolla when I was 16. Was with my dad having sunday dinner when he was coming out and we were walking in. stood in front of him thinking I was looking at Tom Cruise or something. haha. too bad we didn't have camera phones back then.

Anyone remember (I know Imabadman does) when during Phillips Anabolic reference guides toward the end of production....Met-rx was introduced..(explanation-Connelly interview)...and it was meant for burn victims and people who had wasting diseases and hospital settings....but Phillips said he had been able to get a limited supply for bodybuilders but when that limited supply runs out it runs out......that created a frenzy like noone had ever seen. You guys thinking about this now would be like "WTF Met-rx really?"...but back then they wrote this thing up as a compound formulated especially for people in dire muscle wasting situations....and Connellys expertise in the field really sold it for everyone....Milos for a lengthy amount of time was experimenting with using nothing but Metrx all day long....it was crazy the buzz it created.

I remember, the protein was supposed to be some type of super expensive special fraction from milk. Later on TC Luoma, I think, said it was just micellar casein, nothing super special about it. Outright lies with the marketing, "limited supplies" :D
Connelly still sold these "super fractions" recently, don't know enough if it's all bullshit but Patrick Arnold seems to think there is something to it, that these proteins have special metabolic effects. I listened to some Connelly interviews a couple of years ago and my BS alarms went off with his claims of "calories have absolutely nothing to do with weight gain or loss" etc.

Met-Rx had the best taste of any supplement I had tried up to that point though, maybe still :D

I remember, the protein was supposed to be some type of super expensive special fraction from milk. Later on TC Luoma, I think, said it was just micellar casein, nothing super special about it. Outright lies with the marketing, "limited supplies" :D
Connelly still sold these "super fractions" recently, don't know enough if it's all bullshit but Patrick Arnold seems to think there is something to it, that these proteins have special metabolic effects. I listened to some Connelly interviews a couple of years ago and my BS alarms went off with his claims of "calories have absolutely nothing to do with weight gain or loss" etc.

Met-Rx had the best taste of any supplement I had tried up to that point though, maybe still :D

I thought I read somewhere he died? (Connelly)
I loved the original Met-Rx packets, was working at a gym when that stuff came out and the owner gave me the supps for cost, loved the pancake mix and even pizza they sold for a short time. It was really a step up from the Designer Whey protein powders. I think Duchaine wrote a recipe in which he said you could make your own Met-Rx with whey iso, micellar casein, and pudding mix.

Yea we thought it was a secret back then special protein blend (cult like following like Rheo Blair's protein powder mixed with heavy cream :) back then they thought calcium was the missing link in muscle contraction vs Magnesium -many of the older guys died from cardiac disease cause of the calcification effects of all the hand fulls of extra calcium tabs they took along with the shakes at every meal.)

I remember the early ads with milos saying he gained 6-8 lbs of muscle off of 6-8 met-rx shakes a day between contests back in the day.

The real scam was Phillips and his myoplex copy cat of Met-Rx and other products like HMB and V2G -vanadyl sulfate caps.

I remember getting some of the first bottles of creatine when anthony almada was selling them and crapping my brains out with it (Creatine mono powder was like sand back then) and phospagen, which was enough to keep me away from cell tech later on down the road.

Most of us guys think the the sportpharma vanadyl PH had something else in it cause we got enormous pumps and some real gains out of those little blue coated tablets.

I remember faxing Phillips about his V2G and no results from it, and he gave me back my money 200% and sent me all this EAS shit in the mail, jackets hats etc via fed-x.

Last edited:
Anyone remember (I know Imabadman does) when during Phillips Anabolic reference guides toward the end of production....Met-rx was introduced..(explanation-Connelly interview)...and it was meant for burn victims and people who had wasting diseases and hospital settings....but Phillips said he had been able to get a limited supply for bodybuilders but when that limited supply runs out it runs out......that created a frenzy like noone had ever seen. You guys thinking about this now would be like "WTF Met-rx really?"...but back then they wrote this thing up as a compound formulated especially for people in dire muscle wasting situations....and Connellys expertise in the field really sold it for everyone....Milos for a lengthy amount of time was experimenting with using nothing but Metrx all day long....it was crazy the buzz it created.

They even had a before and after photo of Milos statijg he gained something like 10-20# using it, lol. I think this is still when Met-rx was in 2 separate containers? Like a Base and something else? lol

I thought I read somewhere he died? (Connelly)
I loved the original Met-Rx packets, was working at a gym when that stuff came out and the owner gave me the supps for cost, loved the pancake mix and even pizza they sold for a short time. It was really a step up from the Designer Whey protein powders. I think Duchaine wrote a recipe in which he said you could make your own Met-Rx with whey iso, micellar casein, and pudding mix.

Yea we thought it was a secret back then special protein blend (cult like following like Rheo Blair's protein powder mixed with heavy cream :) back then they thought calcium was the missing link in muscle contraction vs Magnesium -many of the older guys died from cardiac disease cause of the calcification effects of all the hand fulls of extra calcium tabs they took along with the shakes at every meal.)

I remember the early ads with milos saying he gained 6-8 lbs of muscle off of 6-8 met-rx shakes a day between contests back in the day.

The real scam was Phillips and his myoplex copy cat of Met-Rx and other products like HMB and V2G -vanadyl sulfate caps.

I remember getting some of the first bottles of creatine when anthony almada was selling them and crapping my brains out with it (Creatine mono powder was like sand back then) and phospagen, which was enough to keep me away from cell tech later on down the road.

Most of us guys think the the sportpharma vanadyl PH had something else in it cause we got enormous pumps and some real gains out of those little blue coated tablets.

I remember faxing Phillips about his V2G and no results from it, and he gave me back my money 200% and sent me all this EAS shit in the mail, jackets hats etc via fed-x.

There was Dr. X, I forgot his name, but he had AIDS, and then took his life later on. Also, there was Nadler, who also took his life....he was the plastic surgeon, and probably not who you were speaking of. He was a smart guy, and did many things behind the scene.

I may have exaggerated the 10-20#, it could have been more to 6-8# as you stated, lol. They had a before and after pic showing his gainz though:D

Duchaine stated he thought people would do better with just a whey isolate, than Met-Rx in one of the articles. He did mention adding pudding at one time too, I forgot which one that was for.

I'm gonna go and bust out my mags right now:D

They even had a before and after photo of Milos statijg he gained something like 10-20# using it, lol. I think this is still when Met-rx was in 2 separate containers? Like a Base and something else? lol

Yes I remember that Met-Rx ad like it was yesterday.....when I tried it I got softer and smoothed out - taught me the importance of real food vs "MRP's" which was really a scam.
I don't think I have had a protein shake in 15 years. Even with being able to make your own blend and flavorings today, imagine I would get very little satisfaction from them, although they do serve a purpose when used infrequently.:)

Okay, in the 1993-94 MM2K, it has Milos as the cover picture and it states, "Mishko packs on 14-1/2# of rock hard muscle." Milos goes on to say, "I first became convinced that Met-rx was for real whe I saw Lee Labrada in the '92 Olympia. He told me about Met-rx, and I've been using it ever since. Over the last 10 months, I've put on 14.5# of solid muscle using Met-Rx and training Dr. Connelly's way!"

They also promoted Jeff Everson a lot with Met-Rx.

This was a good issue, as it was also the one that Duchaine outlined how to convert Finiplix:D Next question he addresses insulin use.

Last edited:
Killerstack, I just ran across where Bill compares Phosphagen/Creatine to Dbol and HMB effects similar to Primobolan and Deca. It was noted in the July 1996 issue of MM2K. I know in a later issue, he stated directly that "HMB feels like Deca." The next issue, Ausgust 1996, he acquires EAS from Almeida. I haven't got to it yet, but I believe the deca quote is sometime after this. I haven't got to it yet, as I have to go outside and get some work done around the house, lol. I'm pretty sure he mentioned this during when he was promoting that contest with the Lamborgini, in 1997. Maybe right before it, so that it would boost sales for the contest....not sure yet.

These mags are bringing back some memories. MM2K may have went to crap later on, but they still had a ton of good info in them:D

first time I met duchaine was just dumbluck, at the Hard Rock Café in La Jolla when I was 16. Was with my dad having sunday dinner when he was coming out and we were walking in. stood in front of him thinking I was looking at Tom Cruise or something. haha. too bad we didn't have camera phones back then.

Yer name wouldn't happen to be Randy would it? I knew an American with a Pharmacy down in TJ. In 1994, he was the guy who we were buying the pink anapolan blister packs from made by Syntex. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the Pharmacy. They also had them at the TJ hospital too. We were getting them for like 40 cents per tab. We were bringing back thousands at a time, and then when Duchaine tested the results of them a few years later, the price skyrocketed and then they started making the fakes in the bottles.

You may have been a few years too young to be him though. We were only 18/19 years old at the time.

Last edited:
There was Dr. X, I forgot his name, but he had AIDS, and then took his life later on. Also, there was Nadler, who also took his life....he was the plastic surgeon, and probably not who you were speaking of. He was a smart guy, and did many things behind the scene.

I may have exaggerated the 10-20#, it could have been more to 6-8# as you stated, lol. They had a before and after pic showing his gainz though:D

Duchaine stated he thought people would do better with just a whey isolate, than Met-Rx in one of the articles. He did mention adding pudding at one time too, I forgot which one that was for.

I'm gonna go and bust out my mags right now:D
yea my bad it was Dr X, not Mooney that had AIDS and took a potent cocktail to off himself, remember TC Luoma's article on it.
I was looking through some older mags from the 90's the other day and was shocked to see how many bodybuilders in those mags had died since then - early deaths.

Yer name wouldn't happen to be Randy would it? I knew an American with a Pharmacy down in TJ. In 1994, he was the guy who we were buying the pink anapolan blister packs from made by Syntex. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the Pharmacy. They also had them at the TJ hospital too. We were getting them for like 40 cents per tab. We were bringing back thousands at a time, and then when Duchaine tested the results of them a few years later, the price skyrocketed and then they started making the fakes in the bottles.

You may have been a few years too young to be him though. We were only 18/19 years old at the time.

you may be thinking of Nathan. or Wyatt Nathan Kepley. from n. Carolina. was kinda a biz partner of ours and a RAT 100% along with the fat kid. wayat was doing biz with some highway patrols in N.C. and ratted on them and a bunch of others back in 01 or 02.

pharm was called Payless Pharmacy btw

I think we need a separate thread for Phillps / Duchaine history and stories, that would be great.

OP back to you.... It doesn't matter if Philips is a snakeoil salesman or not, get your guy started on something! In his condition anything will work some... and some is better than none! And like someone else said if he has skin in the game (cash) it may be enough incentive to move forward, then you can assist as he progresses with new ideas....

most of the behind scenes chatter is archived on misc.fitness.weights

just search through google groups during that time period and you will see threads upon threads from these guys..

in fact it was in a muscle media magazine that i disovered usenet and misc.fitness.weights.

this was way before web forums that we have today.

just search through google groups during that time period and you will see threads upon threads from these guys..

in fact it was in a muscle media magazine that i disovered usenet and misc.fitness.weights.

Yea, mfw is where it all started.

That's where I started. Where I conversed with Pat Arnold first time, along with Duchaine (before meeting in person), Bill Llewellyn, Bill Roberts, Bill Starr, Stephanie Starr, Oliver Starr, Robert Schuh, Will Brink, lyle McDonald, Bruce Kneller, among others... I have a few giant 3 ring binders filled with printouts I super-small type (so I could print as much as I could, front & back) of conversations and emails from back then. when I open those things up it's like a time-capsule and I get send back to the times when Mexican gear was cheap and plentiful and no "post 9/11" security to worry about. MMmmm 2ml Sten amps w/2 per box for $1.62, Primoteston for $6.25, 50mg Deca preloads for $8, boxes of Stenox(halo) from Atlantis for $9, lol.. ... good 'ole days. :)

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws