over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bill to outlaw prohormones introduced today in Congress

Patrick Arnold

The One and Only
Newbies
I am so glad that they got such an authority on the matter as Christine Witty to comment. "So like, this stuff is BAD, y'know?"

> Wednesday, October 9
>
> Congressmen introduce anti-andro bill
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
> ----
> By Luke Cyphers
> ESPN The Magazine
>
>
> Congress may send the Mark McGwire pill to the showers.
>
> Two Republican congressmen, including former Nebraska football coach Tom
> Osborne, on Wednesday introduced a bill in Washington to reclassify
> androstenedione and other steroid pre-cursors as controlled substances,
> effectively taking them off the market.
>
> "Andro," as it came to be known in sports circles, gained notoriety when
it
> was revealed that McGwire used it during his record-breaking 70-home run
> season with the St. Louis Cardinals in 1998. The news set off the
explosion
> in popularity of the substance, which is sold over-the-counter as a
dietary
> supplement.
>
> Rep. John E. Sweeney, R-N.Y., introduced the bill, calling substances such
> as andro and other pre-hormonal supplements "a serious public health
issue"
> with an adverse effect on the integrity of professional and amateur
athletic
> competition.
>
> Andro and other so-called "pro-hormones" have been marketed as supplements
> that, when ingested, convert to testosterone in the human body and build
> muscle. In effect, andro has been sold as a legal way to gain the benefits
> of using anabolic steroids, which are controlled substances.
>
> Many scientists disagree that andro works as an anabolic steroid, saying
> that it is more likely to convert to the female hormone estrogen and
produce
> breast tissue in males rather than muscle mass.
>
> But when McGwire admitted during the 1998 baseball season to using andro
to
> help him recover from workouts, sales soared -- especially among
teenagers,
> who can buy it at nutrition stores and on the Internet.
>
> Elite athletes in sports such as track and field and the NFL, where andro
> use is banned, also have taken the substance. Sports officials in several
> countries say the use of dietary supplements containing such steroid
> precursors has caused dozens of athletes to test positive for steroids.
>
> The bill has the support of the U.S. Antidoping Agency, the group charged
> with ferreting out drug cheats in Olympic sports. On hand at Wednesday's
> news conference in Washington was Frank Shorter, the USADA chairman, as
well
> as U.S. Olympic Committee chairman Lloyd Ward and Olympic speedskating
gold
> medalist Christine Witty. The NCAA and NFL have also expressed support for
> the bill.
>
> "I think it's great. People were definitely taking supplements they
thought
> were safe, and hidden in there were health risks," Witty said. "Everybody
> believes supplements are safe and they're taking this stuff even going
> beyond the recommended dosage on the label. You're talking about using an
> awful lot of what is a serious drug."
>
> "The message of this bill is clear and pretty simple," Shorter said.
"There
> was a loophole in the law when it was written and when people weren't
aware
> of these steroid precursors. This just closes that loophole."
>
> The bill's language does not enter the debate over whether andro and
related
> substances such as 19-norandrostenedione are effective as muscle-builders.
> It simply calls for classifying as a controlled substance "the immediate
> precursor of a scheduled anabolic steroid, without regard to . the
> requirement that the substance promote muscle growth."
>
> Andro has been legal thanks to liberalization of the United States'
dietary
> supplement laws in 1994. Substances sold as dietary supplements aren't
> subject to the same regulatory scrutiny as those classified as drugs and
can
> be introduced on the market without prior testing for safety or
> effectiveness.
>
> Steroids have long been known to have harmful side effects, including
heart,
> liver and kidney damage, as well as acne and, in heavy users, breast
tissue
> growth in males.
>
> The bill is the second major action against andro producers this year. In
> July, a class action suit was filed against several manufacturers of andro
> and other prohormones, accusing them of fraudulent marketing and selling
> ineffective and dangerous products.
>
> Vincent Lynch, an attorney for the Tampa law firm of Trenam, Kemker, and
> filer of the suit, applauded the proposed change in the law. He says
studies
> he is presenting in the lawsuit show "no increase in testosterone or
muscle
> enhancement" from andro use, but that taking the stuff can lead to adverse
> reactions, especially in children.
>
> "The bottom line is andro has all the negative side effects of steroid
use,"
> Lynch says, "and none of the benefits."
>
>

Andro, ephedrine - what's next. That bulk-building supplement Creatine? Don't laugh - I've said it before. If ANY supplement gives you an advantage, it WILL BE taken off the market eventually - all of them have!!!

I used prohormones (large amounts) very successfully (in a home-made sublingual mixed with beta-cyclodextrin). It's just a matter o' time! :mad:

xcel

Oh man, did that article just piss me off. Seriously. Do people really still believe that McGwire was using Andro? Give me a break. The side effects of prohormones are minimal at best. One of the reasons they state for wanting to make prohormones illegal is:
Sports officials in several countries say the use of dietary supplements containing such steroid precursors has caused dozens of athletes to test positive for steroids.
Big friggen deal! So discontinue steroid testing... problem solved! They think prohormones are "harmful to children"? Great! So make 21 the minimum age for legal purchase. Not the best solution, but it will help. Alcohol is WAY more deadly & dangerous than prohormones, so at least provide a similar solution. Why must the government butt into our lives so damn often?!! I know I am going to take flack for this, but I think I'm starting to get fed up with the country, with it's numbskull trigger-happy president, pushy authoritative figures, and the ever-growing removal of our freedoms!! The worst part is: this is STILL no better place on Earth to live!! Sorry for the rant... I am angry tonight.

How ironic that the sponsor of the bill is Tom Osborne, the guy who coached one of the most juiced up college football teams ever to step foot on the field

If the health industry has their way every vitamin known to man will require a script in the US. Americans are living longer due to vitamins and staying healthier the hospital industry has lost 33% of its income due to people eating and staying more physically fit. Well I dunno not where I live there are alot of phat azzes around here. But supposedly MM

Suchs CRAP!

They outlawed them in canada well back, same deal with eephedrine kind of, ephedrine is legal if not over 8mg... I mean how stupid is that, now up here we get 300 tabs x 8mg instead of 100 of 25mg.... but hey no problem going to pick up "smokes" or booze, guess they must be good for you...... it's all about money! Taxes they charge on cigs etc... so they are legal here, but are know to kill ppl. Yet i break the law by bring in some gear, un real

GODDAMNIT! We have a sniper running around MD, our country is fighting terrorism, still looking for BinLaden; comtemplating war against Iraq. But John E Sweeny is busy pushing a bill to abolish prohormones OTC. Im sure he is a real expert in the field of performance enhancing drugs also, and has done extensive research before deciding to take on this mission (sarcasm...).

Guarantee he is some cig smoking, beer drinking, corrupt fatass whos major form of sports activity/exercise comes from Channel surfing between ESPN and ESPN2. This guy should be impeached.

Im going to try to find time to write a letter to this asshole-not that he will read it or reply. But I must try-cant take this shit sitting down.

Thanks for posting this PATRICK. Although it just pissed me off totally!

MikeS said:
GODDAMNIT! We have a sniper running around MD, our country is fighting terrorism, still looking for BinLaden; comtemplating war against Iraq. But John E Sweeny is busy pushing a bill to abolish prohormones OTC. Im sure he is a real expert in the field of performance enhancing drugs also, and has done extensive research before deciding to take on this mission (sarcasm...).

Guarantee he is some cig smoking, beer drinking, corrupt fatass whos major form of sports activity/exercise comes from Channel surfing between ESPN and ESPN2. This guy should be impeached.

Im going to try to find time to write a letter to this asshole-not that he will read it or reply. But I must try-cant take this shit sitting down.

Thanks for posting this PATRICK. Although it just pissed me off totally!

You are right, these senators do not have a clue what prohormones are. They probably were just approached by these US anti-doping authorities and told that this stuff is a menace and something has to be done. So they figured OK, that sounds bad lets get the stuff banned.

LOL @ "Mark McGwire Pill".

Ignorant bastards.

has anyone noticed that lately our corrupt government is going on a rampage taking away any freedoms that we had left.were is the war on terrorism?all i see is a war on us as a people.this government is doing nothing more then waging a war on its own people and some of us are so blind to see what they are really doing.soon we will be told what time we have to be in at night!dont laugh cause the day is coming.i could go on a rant but things like this are making me so mad lately that i dont even have the words anymore!

bgmke7 said:
has anyone noticed that lately our corrupt government is going on a rampage taking away any freedoms that we had left.were is the war on terrorism?all i see is a war on us as a people.this government is doing nothing more then waging a war on its own people and some of us are so blind to see what they are really doing.soon we will be told what time we have to be in at night!dont laugh cause the day is coming.i could go on a rant but things like this are making me so mad lately that i dont even have the words anymore!

Dude, Ive been saying this too for the last couple years.
What we feared about communism, the loss of our personal rights, is upon us. And it happened in a way so people (average Joe's) dont notice. Big Brother is here.

Meese commission (ban pronography); Lowered DWI levels to intake levels of 2 beers (like thats the problem); Republican Anti-abortionists; Democrat gun control; Cameras on the highways/roads. DWI roadblocks; Laws on relatively harmless rec drug(which I dont take presonally)-ie marijuana; Laws on performancing enhancing drugs; ...and Im sure I missed many others.
Sad but true. :(

OK I wrote this shmuck Rep John E Sweeney a nice love note.
Much is cut and pasted from previous letters/rants to officials:

Dear Rep John E Sweeney- Oct 11, 2002

I have become aware of a bill you proposed to congress, attempting to classify prohormones, which are basically very weak steroid precursors, as controlled substances. The article in ESPN the Magazine, by Luke Cypher, outlines the issue.

Your case is supported by the "adverse effect on the integrity of professional and amateur competition".
And also by the "serious public health issue" of the supplement. Id like to examine these motives.

Sports are regulated by their individual governing bodies. Why should the public and recreational athletes (the vast majority of sports supplement users) be held to the moral issues of those sports? There is absolutely no need for that decision to be made by the federal government. Leave it to the individual sports
and their athletes to initiate and enforce these rules upon its own members. And to address the "health issue" claimed, I would like to know your background on performance enhancing drugs, and also please site the documentation of your research that supports these statements.

I am a bodybuilder, and not Doctors (with a few exceptions), but WE are the experts in this field. I have studied the science of anabolic sports pharmacology for 15yrs. I am well versed on the subject. What credentials do you have that supports your introduction of the current bill?

Ive been around bodybuilding for 20yrs. My wife has been a mortician for 10yrs, and a nurse for 10yrs before that. Neither of us has seen any severe adverse effects from steroids or prohormones, and certainly not death. Never. Actual causes of death, despite the media laying the blame on steroids, including-Lyle Alzado; AIDS related brain cancer. Davey Smith/Rick Rude/Brian Pillman;pain killers and the deterioration from those drugs. No proof is evident that wrestler Billy Grahams ailments are steroid related? Dont you think there should be some responsibility in researching facts supported by actual evidence, other than the outrageous, jump on the anti-steroid/prohormone bandwagon, opinions of some uneducated anti-doping authority or media representative? Its always sensationalism, and since the public has no actual knowledge of this subject, they assume the media reporters are knowledgeable, and take that information as fact. You may have done the same. It’s a similar knee jerk reaction as the reefer-madness
propaganda from the 40s and 50s. The claims on steroids and prohormones are equally as ridiculous as the reefer-madness mentality, to those knowledgable in the field of sports pharmacology.

How can you compare the safety of these prohormones to other cosmetic alternatives which are currently legal? You promote the illegalization of a performance/cosmetic enhancing drug-certainly less harmful than legal lyposuction, plastic surgery, breast enhancement...etc; and with prohormones/steroids, the performance is only enhanced by honest hard work, proper nutrition, unlike all those surgical procedures. And women can take sex hormones for aging, birth control; both sexes can use hormones if they desire a sex change. If a man required hormone replacement therapy (testosterone) is it viewed as a catastrophe; if a woman goes on HPT (estrogen), the treatment of this condition is totally acceptable.

Not to mention the legalization of very harmful drugs such as tobacco and alcohol. Making laws that affect the entire population in order to legislate or govern a minute body of athletes (Olympics, Baseball) is prepostrous. The vast majority of athletes are just looking for better bodies, increased strength, results for their gruling work and nutrition proctices;and are NOT professional athletes. These sports are fully capable of determining their own regulations, and we as citizens should not have to be held to standards set in order to govern their sports. It has happened before-the hysteria of Ben Johnson's Olympic incident resulted in the Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 1990. It criminalizes these drugs as Schedule III, along with drugs such as cocaine, amphetamines, morphine. This is a travesty! Courts are treating hard working athletes in the same vein as recreational drug addict's! Do you suggest harsher laws, now to include the weaker prohormones? I surely hope not, and if so - you are a prime example of the need for education PRIOR to comments and decisions being discussed on issues. I know vast amounts of prohormone/steroid users-it is the most typical cross section of productive America you will ever see. Lawyers, Doctors, Policemen, Firemen, computer geeks, accountants, I could go on. So why are some of the reasons that steroids are illegal, and otherwise honest taxpaying, working athletes are subject to jail for its use? And now you are looking to criminalize prohormones, turning the users of this into criminals also?

Steroids dont cause heart attacks, liver failure, rage. Rage is caused by immature behavior-its an excuse to act viscous. The early studies on liver failure was done on sickly, geriatric patients who were on massive (much more than any healthy athlete would use) doses of the steroid Anadrol. Some types of steroids can slightly raise blood pressure temporarily, while it will return to normal after cessation of its use. Adolescents should not use them regardless-and that is not effected by their being legal or not. Certainly there are some side effects. If that is reported responsibly people can educate themselves and take precautions, using these drugs in a responsible way. It is very possible-Ive been doing so for 18yrs. So have many, many people I know. I studied and became responsible for using these substances correctly-as any adult should do before they indulge in any similar type of activity. I have no aliments. My condition is amazing for a 43YO. Learn to drive before you get a car - or you would wreck it immediately; Should cars be illegal because of this? No one should spend ONE DAY in jail because of steroids, or as you promote, prohormones. The unjust laws are a reflection of general public and lawmakers uninformed opinions. Which begins with opinions not supported by facts or knowledge.

I could recommend a fine website for education made by a prominent professional, lawyer Rick Collins in your home state NY. His website is www.steroidlaw.com - examine it with open mind and then I would welcome your further comments in regard to Anabolics. Also Patrick Arnold is likely the worlds formost leading authority on prohormones, www.ergopharm.net would be his internet location.

If you have any questions or comments, I would welcome a reply. I would be willing to discuss this, on any platform, with anyone who cares to share information. Lawyer Rick Collins or Patrick Arnold would surely also welcome any discussion of these matters.

Doesn’t this country have endless REAL (terrorism, crimes with actual victims)issues, other than obsessive concerns on how to interfere with a mans right to create adaptations to his physique through hard work, nutrition, and supplementation, pharmaceutical or otherwise? See Roe vs Wade-the womans right to do as she sees fit in regard to her own body. If anything, the issue at hand should be, why are honest hardworking athletes being crucified, and at risk of incarceration, for the attempt and desire to change their physique for the better? Why not be a pioneer and take that platform?

I am not a residence of NY. But this is a National issue, and it requires educated attention. Please reply in email to this issue I present, which you have chosen to become involved with.

Sincerely
Mike S

HEY MIKE S

great email but i doubt he will respond to you.i would love for you to post his response if he does get back to you.these politicians are nothing but old,uneducated men who dont have the brain power to understand that what they are told about a substance by some ignorant doctor or researcher, could infact be incorrect.theses people in power cant even spend the time to research something on there own before they pass judgement on it.i wish i could bring my thoughts together like you and write all these miss informed politicians and join you in this mini crusade but like i said before,when i start to write something i get so mad that my mind goes blank and it ends up sounding like im some kind of raging lunatic so i just learned to let people like yourself lead the way.i have the knowledge as you do its just hard for me to get it out when im faced with some idiot who is so dumb that i cant deal with him.anyway here i go again rambling.well nicely done and keep writing these missinformed politicians.we are all behind you.
later

MikeS said:
OK I wrote this shmuck Rep John E Sweeney a nice love note.
Much is cut and pasted from previous letters/rants to officials:

Your passion for the subject certainly shines through in this letter. I fear however that most authorities do not view us weightlifting and bodybuilding types as being voters worth listening too. Yes, we may have facts on our side but we are a small minority of "freaks" i fear.

Nonetheless, your letter is still important, and it certainly beats apathy and inaction

Mike,

Outstanding and inspirational letter. Your knowledge, passion, and tact certainly warrant a response, and hopefully you get one. Maybe many of us should follow your lead?!?!? I just wanted to say "thanks"!

---slide---

I sure will post if he responds. Thanks all for the nice words, especially Pat for bring this to our attention. Grrrrrr!

Our you kidding---politicians avoid logical rational arguments like the plague, it's their kryptonite--how else can they try to purvey the BS they do!

instynct999 said:
Our you kidding---politicians avoid logical rational arguments like the plague, it's their kryptonite--how else can they try to purvey the BS they do!

Dude, Ive done this plenty of times before. Usually they dont reply and thats what I expect. But occasionally you do get a bone thrown your way. I had a long letter published in the phoenix times recently. And my 'home raid' story BUSTED was in the 09/01
Musclular Dev, and will be in Rick Collins upcoming book "Legal Muscle". The odds are usually against it, but to act gives you a way better chance to be heard - then if you dont do anything!

MikeS

Thanks, from all of us, for your fortitude in speaking out!!

xcel

Hey Mike,how can I contact this Sweeney? I'll send him a letter as well. Its true he'll probably not respond or even read the thing but at least its something more than just whining and bitching about it on a discussion board.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael_
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131