over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bit off topic, Auto Racing Shoes

maldorf

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Elvia's post made me think about this, his post about the nice shoes. Ive been looking on the net and cannot seem to find much input on my question. Are auto racing shoes really necessary, do they act much different than a regular gym shoe while in your car on the track?

I will be going to the track in June. I know Big A runs on the track and I figure there are probably a few others on here too. Ive only been on the track on 4 different weekends and just use my regular shoes now. I will be going to a racing store in the area soon to finally buy my own helmet, been borrowing the club's, and figure maybe I should get some shoes too. I hate to waste the money though if I don't need any. Seems they run about $150 or more a pair. A lot of the guys in the club swear by them but I am just looking for some outside input. My 911 turbo is automatic too so I figure it might not make nearly as much difference since I wont be so worried about heel and toe.

I'm a big fan of Oakley shoes. Their race shoes hug your feet nicely. Smooth with rounded edges, so they don't catch on anything. Really good peddle feel through them, almost like driving barefoot. But then Oakley casual shoes have pretty much the same feel and design to them as well. But you can get more use out of them. I've even got a pair of their 8" si assault boots for hunting, the assault boots are not good for even normal driving. I say treat yourself to a pair, whatever brand you decide on.

I'm a big fan of Oakley shoes. Their race shoes hug your feet nicely. Smooth with rounded edges, so they don't catch on anything. Really good peddle feel through them, almost like driving barefoot. But then Oakley casual shoes have pretty much the same feel and design to them as well. But you can get more use out of them. I've even got a pair of their 8" si assault boots for hunting, the assault boots are not good for even normal driving. I say treat yourself to a pair, whatever brand you decide on.

I am leaning that way. Its not a lot to spend but I don't want to spend anything if they don't feel any better than just my walking shoes. Probably a reason why so many of the guys have them.

MASSIVE difference in pedal feel and control.

I also love driving with Ottomix but they don't pass scrutineering for races.

My new OMP's arrived the other day. I can't wait to try them on when I'm back in the country in a few days :D

Attachments

• IMG-20170424-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20170424-WA0000.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 60
I'd say it all depends on your budget and driving ability. If it's something that you can easily afford, go for it, it certainly won't hurt to have a good set of shoes.

But, if you're still a novice and you're on a budget, I'd say using the money for more track/seat time would be a better choice.

Which reminds me, I need a new Helmet and fire jacket, mine expires this year :banghead:

I'd say it all depends on your budget and driving ability. If it's something that you can easily afford, go for it, it certainly won't hurt to have a good set of shoes.

But, if you're still a novice and you're on a budget, I'd say using the money for more track/seat time would be a better choice.

Which reminds me, I need a new Helmet and fire jacket, mine expires this year :banghead:

I need a helmet too. Up to now I have just been borrowing the club's helmets. I am going to get one and think I will probably pick up a pair of shoes too. The store has a nice deal for $450 you get a helmet, shoes, and suit. The track I go to though does not require we wear a suit, just long sleeve shirt. I don't compete in racing, I am just doing DE events. No speed limit or anything but we have to signal for cars to pass etc. I am in class C now. Class A and maybe B can pass each other without being given permission so its a bit more like real racing. I will check out those shoes Big A linked, if they have them.

In a couple of weeks I am upgrading my turbo's suspension to a racier bilstein setup that is more like what is found in the GT3. I want to put in new control arms to get some negative camber but that would be another $3000 :( Shit gets expensive fast. Still have to pay for track insurance too.

Helmet brand

I see I can get a Racequip brand full face helmet for just $200. I was planning on getting a Bell since it has been around a long time and always seemed like the standard. An equivalent though in a Bell runs about $360. What do you guys think about Racequip? Are they junky? I should know more once I get to the store, just looking for some input. Big thing of course is safety and then how comfortable it is. When I was borrowing a helmet I just wore an open face with just a visor up top. More comfortable I think, but I worry if something did happen it seems like your jaw would be gone after a bad blow to the head.

I raced Porsches in SCCA 96-2000. racing/driving shoes are worth it if you're gonna be on the track regularly and if you take racing/track-days seriously. even if you're racing an auto (auto-manual/pdk/F1/etc...), the thinner sole and narrower toe-box gives a much better 'feel' of the pedals when heel-toe, matching revs, trail braking etc... I wear a wide shoe usually (my Reebok Crossfits are my fav, with their super wide toe-box.. new balance as well), but I'd never trust them while racing because they'd be too 'numb' feeling.

consider how much racing you'd be doing and factor that into how much you're willing to spend. (like comparing baseball gloves. if you just play catch with your kids, or even coaching and throwing batting practice 2 days a week, you wouldn't drop $220 on a custom tri-color exotic hide glove from Eastbay when a $35 glove from Walmart would do the job.)

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131