over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

blood clot

GymDudeVA

Registered
I was diagnosed with a blood clot in my right calf. I'm on blood thinners, and supposedly the thing will dissolve in 2 or 3 months (!). The doctors are, however, not able to give me a straight answer about working out heavy. They say any cuts or bruising are the main concern (because of the blood thinners) but as far as, say, heavy bench press? I can't find anything much on the 'Net either.

Anyone with any experience with this? Thanks.

i had a friend NOT ON BLOOD THINNERS but juiced to the gills have an annurysme doing decline presses 20 years ago ... might wanna watch out for
those as they put a lot of strain on the brains arteries

Last edited:
Did they find this during a check up?
Or did you have symptoms that made you go see the doc? If so, what were the symptoms?

I had a bilateral pulmonary embolism as the result of air travel a few years ago. I resumed to hard training about 4 weeks after the event and have had no problems since. I was on blood thinners for a year to be on the safe side. Good luck in your recovery.

I was diagnosed with a blood clot in my right calf. I'm on blood thinners, and supposedly the thing will dissolve in 2 or 3 months (!). The doctors are, however, not able to give me a straight answer about working out heavy. They say any cuts or bruising are the main concern (because of the blood thinners) but as far as, say, heavy bench press? I can't find anything much on the 'Net either.

What was your hematocrit at the time? What did they do to address the conditions that created the clot, not just what they put you on to get rid of it? What is your current hematocrit?

Is it superficial or DVT? There is little concern for a superficial thrombosis. If its a DVT hold off on anything that greatly increases blood flow or BP for a few weeks. You'll increase the chances of developing a PE.

Had 2 bloodclots (dvt's) form and both turned into pulminary embolisms after a motorcycle crash nearly 6 months ago. Was on coumadin for the entire time until recently. They did another ct scan before taking me off my meds confirming that my body absorbed what was remaining of them. And I had several extensive blood analysis's done throughout ruling out genetic issues of why they formed. You absolutely can train hard while on thinners. Yes, do watch for head injuries or cuts as it can have fatal results at times being that you are at high risk of bleeding. Watch your diet as well, as Im sure they gave you a list of what you should not eat or eat outside of moderation while on them (mainly foods containing vitamin k). You are on thinners, and they are monitoring your INR levels, You in all accords will be fine to exercise. I personally couldn't continue to workout do to severe injuries.

But with that said, Here is my thoughts (opinions) on this if it were me:

I would workout less heavy than you were doing before, use less weight and higher volume (doesn't have to be a huge decrease in weight). I'm only saying this because if you were recently diagnosed, your clots may still be at a significant size and could potentially still be lethal. Especially because they will be changing your dosages weekly to maintain INR levels. And would wait until they see some positive changes in bloodwork or other testing before going balls to the walls. But this is just my opinion again, as I wouldn't want to take the chance unless they could guarantee that I am free of all blood clots. (it's only 2-3 months accordingly to you)

Also, not sure if you were planning on using any aas during this time. But I would personally avoid this too. Just to be safe. The other side of the coin here and has made me think more on this, is... If they have you on a blood thinner and you have not seen any adverse reactions to using them. Well then in theory, you have an ultimate tool in aas use as someone is constantly monitoring your blood work and keeping you safe from forming anymore blood clots, which are very possible with aas. However, you also Have someone else monitoring your blood work and aas is going to change the values of what they are testing. And this may be a negative thing, as it may keep you on thinners longer due to elevated numbers. Its a catch 22 in my view. But I am no expert by any means on this subject.

I know there is a thread titled "Dr. G's questions and answers" (or something like that) where you could inquire more info on this subject. I asked recently about thinners and aas just a couple days ago.

Remember, I am not a Doctor and am only giving my opinions and experience related to myself. This is a very serious medical matter and I would think it would be left best to those that are trained in this subject. Good Luck!

a lot of pro take 1 asprin aday when your on juice your blood gets thick anadrol is good for that. i use that method

I have heard of the asprin daily and giving blood is there anthing else that can be used to help prevent this? Did your doc reccomend anything you could take on a daily basis? Thanks

Did they find this during a check up?
Or did you have symptoms that made you go see the doc? If so, what were the symptoms?

My foot and calf were swollen two days after hard calf workout..thought it was a torn muscle. No other symptoms!

Thanks, all. It's DVT, no known cause. I'm on cumadin (sp?), with weekly blood monitoring to adjust dose. Big pain. This also corresponds with a time in my life when I have had a hard time getting back to normal anyway. It just all plain sucks.

Thanks, all. It's DVT, no known cause. I'm on cumadin (sp?), with weekly blood monitoring to adjust dose. Big pain. This also corresponds with a time in my life when I have had a hard time getting back to normal anyway. It just all plain sucks.

Something you may want too discuss with your Physician as 1love mentioned is food and drug interactions while on Warfarin (Coumadin)There is some evidence, though controversial, that vitamin C interacts with anticoagulant medications (blood thinners) like warfarin (Coumadin). Large doses of vitamin C may block the action of warfarin.

Last edited:

Hey man, be glad you dont have to take coumadin the rest of your life! Im on that stuff for life now. its really not that bad if you eat a consistent diet. I have found the one thing that raises my INR the most is drinking alcohol. Watch out for the booze, but if youre still a serious bodybuilder youre probably not having too much.

Something you may want too discuss with your Physician as 1love mentioned is food and drug interactions while on Warfarin (Coumadin)There is some evidence, though controversial, that vitamin C interacts with anticoagulant medications (blood thinners) like warfarin (Coumadin). Large doses of vitamin C may block the action of warfarin.

Vitamin K is an antedote, and thats what they will give you in the hospital if your levels are dangerously high. You find a lot of that in leafy green veggies. Now its ok to eat vitamin k on a daily basis in your foods, but you just have to be sure that you eat about the same amount each day. once you get your coumadin dose setup it will remain consistent levels as long as you eat the same diet each day. Being a bodybuilder is good for this. My doc tells me I am one of his most consistent patients with INR levels.

Another thing you should do is get a monitor for your home if this is going to be long term, but it does not sound like it will be. I have a monitor here at home so I can test myself. I also have a hemoglobin meter, but I dont use it anymore.

BTW, my daily dose happens to be 6mg/day. That is going to vary based on your diet and other factors.

Last edited:
This is directed at some of the replies above, not the OP:

Clots are probably the number one short term risk when using AAS or even TRT. Even if something else ultimately causes the clot, it is likely that any AAS use is a contributing factor. Even if using AAS does not cause a clot, it makes it easier for other things to cause clots.

It is VERY common for doctors to throw you on some blood thinners and never actually treat the conditions that caused the clot to form in the first place. This is especially true when the clots arise from surgery or trauma.

It isn't enough to just take an aspirin a day and call it good, you need to monitor your blood work carefully and take appropriate steps as necessary. Ideally you should have a doctor who is aware you are on AAS or TRT and is monitoring your bloodwork.

Even if you are normally fine with thick, sticky blood, all it takes is an accident or surgery and you could throw a clot. Plus your heart is working harder all the time to pump overly thick blood.

There is a surprising number of people who can be a walking time bomb even on very low doses or just TRT, while others can have no issues at all even on larger doses. This isn't something you want to gamble on, and you don't have to with simple blood work.

Last edited:
Clots are probably the number one short term risk when using AAS or even TRT. Even if something else ultimately causes the clot, it is likely that any AAS use is a contributing factor. Even if using AAS does not cause a clot, it makes it easier for other things to cause clots.

It is VERY common for doctors to throw you on some blood thinners and never actually treat the conditions that caused the clot to form in the first place. This is especially true when the clots arise from surgery or trauma.

It isn't enough to just take an aspirin a day and call it good, you need to monitor your blood work carefully and take appropriate steps as necessary. Ideally you should have a doctor who is aware you are on AAS or TRT and is monitoring your bloodwork.

Even if you are normally fine with thick, sticky blood, all it takes is an accident or surgery and you could throw a clot. Plus your heart is working harder all the time to pump overly thick blood.

There is a surprising number of people who can be a walking time bomb even on very low doses or just TRT, while others can have no issues at all even on larger doses. This isn't something you want to gamble on, and you don't have to with simple blood work.

GREAT POINT! My thought is you need to find out what caused that clot so that it doesnt happen again. Were you on steroids? If so what kind and how much? Look at those factors. You may also have a clotting genetic condition like what I have or factor 5 like Emeric does. Hemoglobin/hematocrit high?

If you dont address this issue now you are more likely to face more blood clots down the road. Blood clots can kill or ruin your life like they did mine.

GREAT POINT! My thought is you need to find out what caused that clot so that it doesnt happen again. Were you on steroids? If so what kind and how much? Look at those factors. You may also have a clotting genetic condition like what I have or factor 5 like Emeric does. Hemoglobin/hematocrit high?

If you dont address this issue now you are more likely to face more blood clots down the road. Blood clots can kill or ruin your life like they did mine.

But how do you find that out? I have been on AAS off and on on for 10 years and never had a problem...how in heck do you narrow down the cause? I was on various stuff...is there one specific one to avoid? I am so confused.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws