over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Blood Pressure Meds Advice

Warrior08

Registered
Blood pressure has been constantly elevated. its been 140-150 / 70-80.

Doc wants to put me on: amlodipine 5 mg p.o. daily combined with benazepril 20 mg p.o. daily.

Has anyone had experience with these meds?

How effective were they? any side effects ?

There are several different classes of blood pressure medications. I tried 4-5 due to different side effects before I settled on one (lisinopril) that worked for me. If it doesn’t make you feel right, definitely tell your doctor and ask to try something else.

I've seen a lot of patients on ACE Inhibitors acquire quite a persistent cough.

I'm not the biggest fan of them if they're avoidable.

Use your Doctor as a sounding board while on these drugs. Never be afraid to raise concerns. Those aren't medications used for 'minor' hypertension. You've got something more going on that you're not being forthcoming about, but that's ok.

I'm on amlodipine 5mg twice a day + bisoprolol 10 mg once a day & supposed to take triamterene/hctz 37.5 once a day. I dont take that one unless needed. The amlodipine & bisoprolol are keeping me around 125/70-80.

Doc wants to put me on: amlodipine 5 mg p.o. daily combined with benazepril 20 mg p.o. daily.

im on lisinipril 40mg combined with amlodipine 10mg daily - keeps me in the 130-80s area when on blast and on trt 110-70
I get no sides from either
I’m also on a statin at 20mg and no sides from those either

This may have been discussed, but how old are all of y’all?

I’m taking 10mg amlodopine and 50mg metoprolol daily. I’m 33 and have been on this regiment for ~3yrs now.

I get extremely lethargic with metoprolol, and take that one in the evening. Amlodopine at 5mg wasn’t doing much, so he upped it to 10 for the sweet spot.

I've seen a lot of patients on ACE Inhibitors acquire quite a persistent cough.

I'm not the biggest fan of them if they're avoidable.

Use your Doctor as a sounding board while on these drugs. Never be afraid to raise concerns. Those aren't medications used for 'minor' hypertension. You've got something more going on that you're not being forthcoming about, but that's ok.

Hey Justin, if memory serves me right your in the medical field ?

If so,
What’s your take on propranolol vs enalapril
I’ve been on both, prop 10mg 2x daily and then self medicated with enalapril 10mg daily . Now back on Prop..
ive read so much both good and bad about both and I’m not sure if either is ok or just bad or if I’m getting a benefit fromthe prop even now.

just curious to your experience

I take telmisartan with amlodipine and love it

For me its lisinopril and bisoprolol. Bisoprolol is a beta blocker and most of you wouldn't need that. I take it primarily so that it slows down the conduction rate of my heart, slower HR. Helps me avoid tachycardia. If you have a fast resting heart rate, then it would help. Id be seeing a doctor though if your resting rate is up around 90 to 100 or more.

I had emergency abdominal surgery back in 2013 for a perforated abcess in my peritoneal cavity. Went septic and almost died. While recovering my BP was on average 190's/115 and had the RN's kinda freaked out. They put me on Coreg, Lisinopril, Metoprolol and a bunch of others but nothing brought my BP down. This went on for the better part of a week. Then about 2 days before discharge (I was in there for 10 days) they tried Amlodipine 5mg which worked amazingly well. I responded even better to 10mg so thats what I was on until about about a year ago. Mind you I took it religiously and all the while I had this consistent SOB and this fucking cough that never seemed to go away while on it but I never put 2 and 2 together. I was also on Pantoprazole 40mg/daily for GERD. I also have a hiatal hernia. A few members here pointed out that some people have odd side effects that don't fit into the norm when taking prescription meds so I decided to drop one and then the other and it was the Amlodipine that caused my SOB/cough. You have no idea how relieved and happier I am w/o that fucking cough. It took a while for me to convince my doc but when I no longer needed the inhaler he said, "well I'll be damned!". So I needed a replacement and multiple members here suggested Telmisartan so I gave that a shot. Again, my doc was like, Telmisartan? Started me on 40mg which worked but not as good as 80mg...and no cough or SOB!! Stoped taking the PPI as well and just watch what/when I eat so as to avoid as much reflux as possible.
I think the moral here is that everyone responds differently to medication. What works for me may not for you so you kind of need to be your own advocate and having a cooperative PCP who is willing to work with you.

That's a good combo and pretty standard. If it's for only bp control ARB and ace inhibitors (benazepril) are usually the first to be prescribed. Amlodipine (calcium channel blocker) 5 mg more of an adjunctive/ add on if benazepril is not able to control your bp solo.

If your blood pressure was anxiety induced wouldn't a low dose beta blocker be the best choice to control the fight or flight response

Treating the anxiety would be the best choice
Especially since the anxiety has negative effects other than the circulatory system. The beta blocker would be good as a bridge, while you wait for the anxiety to diminish, taking both meds. Then you could go off that.

Lisinopril 10mg works for me, just be careful with some of the anxiety meds there can be a lot of side effects while getting dosing regulated and withdrawals when coming off of them.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131