over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bodybuilders and Clothing Annoyances

hawkmoon

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
As I sit here at my wonderful home office (dining table) leaning forward to type, my right sleeve keeps riding up and getting stuck, while my left arm will work its way back down, being a 1/2 inch or so smaller.

I am mostly past those big leg days, but I hated the way my adductors and upper hams would chew through a new pair of pants in a few months of irregular wear. The jeans I could patch from inside, but the khakis had to go in the bin.
I also remember at my largest having to buy a bigger than needed waist so that I could pull my pants up over my thighs, as even a fully open fly didn't give enough room.
Tailored suits can look ok, but you really can not move as any forward extension of your arms will make the jacket ride up and get stuck on your lower lats, cut into your front delts, and ride up your forearms.

We all struggle with decent clothing being of bodybuilder size and shape, but what kind of idiosyncrasies of being a bodybuilder trying to wear normal clothes gets to you?

My main qualm is just how huge they make everything to fit fat ass America. Seems like what used to be an XXL is now a large; a 34 waist is really about a 40. Buy along size lines and you end up with your typical American silhouette; a wider waist than shoulders. It's hard to really find anything flattering, you're pretty much relegated to tailoring

I’ve had good luck with the app MTailor. It’s not perfect, but they do a fairly decent job with suits and dress clothes. As far as regular day clothes it’s a crap shoot. I only buy athletic fit… Can’t go near anything labeled slim fit. Also I find the Buckle store has very stretchy denim (BKE brand) to where I get a 34x34 and they stretch plenty in the thighs without being restrictive! Sometimes I do gotta get the waist tailored down, but that’s not a big deal. With you being in Japan I don’t know how you manage! I tried an XXXL shirt from the Asia area(somewhere) and I couldn’t even put it on.

Cage

I’ve had good luck with the app MTailor. It’s not perfect, but they do a fairly decent job with suits and dress clothes. As far as regular day clothes it’s a crap shoot. I only buy athletic fit… Can’t go near anything labeled slim fit. Also I find the Buckle store has very stretchy denim (BKE brand) to where I get a 34x34 and they stretch plenty in the thighs without being restrictive! Sometimes I do gotta get the waist tailored down, but that’s not a big deal. With you being in Japan I don’t know how you manage! I tried an XXXL shirt from the Asia area(somewhere) and I couldn’t even put it on.

Cage

I can't really buy any clothes here. All my stuff comes from the states, though I have had a couple of suits made here.
I used to order shirts from tailorstore.com, but since my company relaxed the dress code I don't wear them anymore.

I get my button-down casual shirts & khakis from LL Bean or Land's End and buy some jeans when I visit home.
The jeans still get chewed up in the crotch even with downsized legs. I found some pants and shorts by a company called CQR on Amazon Japan. They are ripstop, so these last.

I’ve always loved nice clothes, ever since I was old enough to buy them myself. I don’t know I just always have, I rarely wear them and my work clothes are the same as my gym clothes but I’ve always loved high end tailored nice clothes. By nice I don’t mean as in showing off how much it costs with a giant logo on it or some ugly ass pattern to show the brand. I don’t wear weirdo half a fag skinny hipster crap, I dress really classical I guess you would call it. Like you can tell I’m wearing something really nice even without knowing what brand it is, always hated that crap of people trying to show off fake wealth like that it’s trashy.

Well my favorite is suits, again don’t know why as I rarely wear them only to big family parties. I have a closet full of perfectly tailored Hugo boss, farragamo, Valentino…etc suits with all the accessories to go with them. Again not douchey hipster skinny pants skinny tie weird pattern crap, just really classic stuff. I just always got a kick out of being at a party and looking like the baddest fucker there without even trying to show off.

Well I haven’t had any reason to wear a suit at all because of coofid until last weekend. I was ready to rock it was my first cousins wedding 800 people, i tried on a dozen suits one by one out of my closet and not a single one fit. Then I said okay guess I’m not wearing a suit and I’m going to look like a hobo, but I’ll put on some nice links, watch, clip and shoes maybe people will just think I took my jacket off. I tried on a dozen shirts not a single one fit. I ended up wearing some garbage out of the back of my closet that I didn’t even know was there. Couldn’t even get the top button done so no tie either…..for a close family wedding.

I have a giant closet full of high end clothes that are all worthless to me now.

Moral of the story unless its casual stretchy crap don’t buy clothes you plan to wear in the future your body is always changing in what we do. This is not the first time this has happened, my friends ask when they are getting the next “Frankie Collection” when I give all my old clothes away that don’t fit, last one was in 2018 and they are getting the 2021 Collection soon it looks like…

I just happened to see this on YT tonight. Many struggle with these issues. I still wear out my pants through the crotch and don't notice for a while.

What It's Like Being A Giant Bodybuilder | Jamie "The Giant" Christian

I just happened to see this on YT tonight. Many struggle with these issues. I still wear out my pants through the crotch and don't notice for a while.

What It's Like Being A Giant Bodybuilder | Jamie "The Giant" Christian

Yeah, the crotch area seems to be the first to go. One time when I was teaching I split out the crotch area of my dress slacks and had to walk around the rest of the day with it. Luckily it was hard to see when I was standing. After that I stored an extra pair of pants in my desk just in case it happened again.

im a midget (5'3) so i do have option to upsize clothing unlike you guys, but damn shit fits weird and most shirts are long as fuck. shorts/ jeans are wild too. can't find a 30/28 but can find a 40/28 pretty commonly. so i guess being short and fat is key in the states. on top of that, most pants/ jeans cater to the skinny fit. even though my legs aren't huge, i have to upsize to a 34 waist (29-30 fits well), due to legs. fortunately my job allowed me to wear gym clothing, and when outing with wife, i wear that also. i do sometimes dress up, but everything pretty much has to be tailored or looks horrible.

im a midget (5'3) so i do have option to upsize clothing unlike you guys, but damn shit fits weird and most shirts are long as fuck. shorts/ jeans are wild too. can't find a 30/28 but can find a 40/28 pretty commonly. so i guess being short and fat is key in the states. on top of that, most pants/ jeans cater to the skinny fit. even though my legs aren't huge, i have to upsize to a 34 waist (29-30 fits well), due to legs. fortunately my job allowed me to wear gym clothing, and when outing with wife, i wear that also. i do sometimes dress up, but everything pretty much has to be tailored or looks horrible.
Pants sizing is one of the things I like about Lands End. You can select width and length.

Barbell Apparel
Tailored Athlete
Father Sons

Those are three online brands for bodybuilders and they are great. Almost every shirt I wear now is from one of those companies.

Barbell Apparel
Tailored Athlete
Father Sons

Those are three online brands for bodybuilders and they are great. Almost every shirt I wear now is from one of those companies.
Barbell Apparel jeans are trash.

Trying to find clothes for shoulders that would fit a muscular guy that is 6'3" when they are 5'6" is tough. Ends up looking like i am wearing a tunic from the medieval ages. And back when i had legs if i could get pants over my calves i had half a chance of getting them over my quads. And the waist and inseam would be way to big. The up side is that extra yard of cloth from the shirt could fit in the big ass waist when i tucked in the shirt.

My problem was always shoulder width with T-shirt’s.

i could get a shirt length wise that would work..or width wide that would work…but not both.

I only wear long sleeve T-shirts (or all shirts)…the under armour long sleeve T-shirts they came out with a few years back are better..I can wear those without binding or being too long

Another thing I notice about store bought dress shirts is that I can’t get one that fits my neck. I think the biggest without going to a big/tall size is 18”. My neck is 21-3/4” around. If I grabbed a button down from a big/tall store to fit my neck I’d have to remove a yard of fabric from the waist! So that why I use MTailor. It really is the only option for a button down.
Neck - 21-3/4
Chest - 49-3/8
Shoulders (yoke) - 25-7/8
Waist - 34-1/4

Cage

Barbell Apparel
Tailored Athlete
Father Sons

I never heard of the sites you listed (Tailored Athlete & Father Sons) but it looks like the majority of their clothes are slim fit. It looks good on the models, but I can’t fit into slim fit stuff. If I managed I’d look like a tool trying to wear a smedium! I’ll keep an eye on them though for larger sizes in the future! Thanks for mentioning them!

I’ll throw anutha retailer in here that I found works for me is State & Liberty. I have to get the XXL and sometimes the XXXL. They a tad on the pricey side in my opinion, but their clothes are quality. Maybe this will help other fellas out looking for athletic clothing that fits folks that have muscular builds!

Cage

Another thing I notice about store bought dress shirts is that I can’t get one that fits my neck. I think the biggest without going to a big/tall size is 18”. My neck is 21-3/4” around. If I grabbed a button down from a big/tall store to fit my neck I’d have to remove a yard of fabric from the waist! So that why I use MTailor. It really is the only option for a button down.
Neck - 21-3/4
Chest - 49-3/8
Shoulders (yoke) - 25-7/8
Waist - 34-1/4

Cage
This is my problem. I wear a 19.5-20 in most dress shirts but then they fit me like a tent because if you have a 19.5inch neck you must be a fat fuck

I never heard of the sites you listed (Tailored Athlete & Father Sons) but it looks like the majority of their clothes are slim fit. It looks good on the models, but I can’t fit into slim fit stuff. If I managed I’d look like a tool trying to wear a smedium! I’ll keep an eye on them though for larger sizes in the future! Thanks for mentioning them!

I’ll throw anutha retailer in here that I found works for me is State & Liberty. I have to get the XXL and sometimes the XXXL. They a tad on the pricey side in my opinion, but their clothes are quality. Maybe this will help other fellas out looking for athletic clothing that fits folks that have muscular builds!

Cage
If you get a larger size, it fits looser than slim fit. I once had to return shirts that were too large for me

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws