over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bodybuilders in their 40's and beyond - training /cycles - etc

Lots of material to learn, for a younger lifters like me, thanks. I am only 28 years old training since 17, but only last few years I am starting to realise things which were mentioned in this thread - lifting smart is the key, you cant go always heavy heavy weights, smart lifting is the key, more drugs is not the answer and not always leads to better gains and good diet is everything no matter what these truth threads about pro dosage says I experienced on my own that you cannot outdrug bad diet, bad diet ontop of grams and grams of drugs taxes the body so much the there is no space left for a muscle growth

Been at it since 14, now at 47 I have few regrets and still try to train as hard as possible. I have noticed a few things though. My form has always been very good but at 40 I started getting injured, never much before that but since 40 I have torn my tricep, rotator cuff, quad tendon, partial pec tear and probably a few other things. I think if I was to do one thing, it would be to start taking GH before the age of 43, seemed to help a bit with the tightness that precluded injuries. I never did GH in all my earlier competing days as it was too expensive and I seemed to not need it at 270+. Taking just 2 ius does the trick for me. My massive poundages I would move in my 20s and 30s are much lower and more machine driven (Hammer Strength etc), I make up for that by going quicker and more for the pump, while still moving head turning weights.
As for drugs, I never went too high in dosages, but seemed to be always on. I am still on more than off but my choices of drugs stay on the conservative side (less tren, drol, winny etc).

Curious how crazy your doss ages were when you were young?

Biffnbash... How old are you?

I doubt you will agree with that statement when you turn 40.

Exactly. I take a lot more then trt because I'm still a growing boy. Who wants to just maintain?

Lots of material to learn, for a younger lifters like me, thanks. I am only 28 years old training since 17, but only last few years I am starting to realise things which were mentioned in this thread - lifting smart is the key, you cant go always heavy heavy weights, smart lifting is the key, more drugs is not the answer and not always leads to better gains and good diet is everything no matter what these truth threads about pro dosage says I experienced on my own that you cannot outdrug bad diet, bad diet ontop of grams and grams of drugs taxes the body so much the there is no space left for a muscle growth

Hit the nail on the head with diet. I wish I would have learned that much sooner and never got into the perma-bulk mentality. 300 lbs on a 5'8" frame is not pretty. That coupled with cruising between cycles instead of coming off would have made me look alot different.

I just turned 40 and been on cycles since 30. Things I learned over the years as other have mentioned is diet is key and less is more. 300 test per week and anther compund at about the same amount per week for a long and steady cycle. Also, no more crazy amounts of weight. My joints just cannot handle it anymore. Managable weights and slow movements with high reps.

Curious how crazy your doss ages were when you were young?

I was looking at an old training journal recently and training for 1991 Jr USA, at three weeks before I was taking 25 mgs drol/day; 75 mgs cytomel; 50 mgs winny/EOD(went to every day) ; 150 mgs test suspension/EOD(dropped to 100 mgs); 50 mg primo tab/day; 15 mgs anavar.
Cut the drol out as I had the state show two weeks before the Jr USA. Did very well in both shows.
I just notice the gear now is under dosed or I don't respond to the same to these small doses. I could never think of taking 2000-3000 mgs per week, I think my body would feel like shit. Even right now I am taking 530 mgs test with 375 mgs deca and feel and look pretty good.

I was looking at an old training journal recently and training for 1991 Jr USA, at three weeks before I was taking 25 mgs drol/day; 75 mgs cytomel; 50 mgs winny/EOD(went to every day) ; 150 mgs test suspension/EOD(dropped to 100 mgs); 50 mg primo tab/day; 15 mgs anavar.
Cut the drol out as I had the state show two weeks before the Jr USA. Did very well in both shows.
I just notice the gear now is under dosed or I don't respond to the same to these small doses. I could never think of taking 2000-3000 mgs per week, I think my body would feel like shit. Even right now I am taking 530 mgs test with 375 mgs deca and feel and look pretty good.

Those are responsible doses.

Hey guys! 42 years old.
Lifting since 13.
juicing since age 18.

I now get effected by the sides of some of the drugs like never before. The grumpiness, headaches, joint aches, bp, and horrible cardio... hit me harder.
So lower doses. My training has changed.
I love anavar, winny, dbol under 40mgs. Test from 250-500 per week. Masteron or EQ.
Haven't tried tren in 9 years. But thinking about adding 200 mg a week.
Before it was all about size and bulk and strength.
Now its more about feeling better, looking jacked, being a stud But feeling good is important. When I was young, I never considered it.

I train different. I can lift, run, do 100 burpees or 100 pullups. I am way more well rounded and feel way better than being bloated and able to bench but not able to run a half block without pulling a quad.
I have 225 6'1" with 8 abs that are chiseled 365 days a year. Not when I was young. I was a mass monster dough boy.
Here's a hint: chicks like the abs, not the moon face.
I still love the gear and feel like a 10 year old on Christmas morning when my gear arrives!
That's some stuff I learned.

Last edited:
I'm 48
First cycle of Deca at 22.
Last cycle of Test-E at 42.
Have done PH's since then.
One thing I've learned is Muscle Memory. It doesn't take much to keep size and strength.
I look around and there and not that many men that look good at 48. Majority of them have let themselves go.

Biffnbash... How old are you?

I doubt you will agree with that statement when you turn 40.

43 buddy.

All about health and longevity now. I maintain fine, love my lifting.....can feel my natty test levels getting down and will look at TRT soon...

I just don't get why you would want to get bigger at such an age....I mean its time to grow up boys, all you are doing to killing yourself IMHO

Last edited:
42 years old.
Lifting since 16.
Juicing since 28

:star-war: Sorry just wanted to use this ;)

Still use Test at 600mg a week when on.
Will be using Tren and Mast with Test soon at 100mg EOD!

When my shoulder is good I still lift like a beast.

Do not want to get old man ass as my wife calls it.

As i have gotten older I tend to do more "GPP" things to keep young.

42yo
Wished I knew PCT in my 20s.
Training during younger days was heavy duty/HIT style, later move on to Hardgainers/5x5 stuff.

Now Been using Eric broser's PRRS routine, it's great for those abv 40s as it cycles between Heavy /low rep training with Higher reps and also HIT training. You never get bored!
**broken link removed**

Im 41 I stick with test mostly. Decca sometimes for my joints and GH

42 years old.
Lifting since 16.
Juicing since 28

:star-war: Sorry just wanted to use this ;)

Still use Test at 600mg a week when on.
Will be using Tren and Mast with Test soon at 100mg EOD!

When my shoulder is good I still lift like a beast.

Do not want to get old man ass as my wife calls it.

As i have gotten older I tend to do more "GPP" things to keep young.

Sounds alot like . What are gpp things?

started working out at 43, put on HRT at 44. never used aas before that. Started competing at 46 , run a couple test/deca cycles twice a year. Don't use orals anymore except some var a few weeks out from comps. tried tren once it killed my prostate, same with mast. Now i mainly use test e or c and npp. 52 now and plan on competing as long as i can. my training i always warm up, then moderate weight with strict form. Joints ain't what they use to be.

Sounds alot like . What are gpp things?

GPP is general physical preparedness. Basically an all around base of good fitness. Someone, who can run, jump, lift, push, pull, crawl.

Stay with 20 mg prop daily with HGH,will add primo,npp,mast when blast once or twice yearly for 8-10 wks.

52 y.o. here. I honestly am bigger and stronger than I've ever been . Been lifting since age 14, but no juice until around age 40. I'm on about 500-100 mg test, plus some tren or masteron or deca (I switch it up). I tolerate it all ok. I do DC training, and the short intense workouts suit me better at my age. Been pretty lucky with injuries, etc., but then again I never did exercises that were not right for me (deadlifts, for example). I do rotator cuff maintenance exercises, and so far so good with shoulders.

My biggest regret is all the years I wasted not lifting heavy or progressive enough (there was less info in the old days)...way too many sets, etc. back then with moderate growth but not like I could have. And I hate to say it, if I had it available, I would have juiced much earlier, and probably be easing off by now, but I sort of feel I am making up for lost time and have the body now I should have had at 30.

The only real change at my age, for me, is it seems to take longer to recover between workouts, and I have less stamina during workouts....sort of poop out earlier.

I should add that I am have always been single, cushy job, etc so I've been able to keep it up steadily into middle age and keep bodybuilding a priority.

Of you 40+ yr old guys who responded how many still compete?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws