advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

bodybuilders you have met or have witnessed training?

When I was 14 years old me and my buddy stood outside the auditorium and talked with Tom Platz for a good half an hour.

He was smoking a cigar before guest posing.

Did you guys know he put cotton balls in his cheeks to make his jaw appear like it did.Saw him do it and asked him why? he said he simply just liked the way it looked.

As an adult I met Haney at a seminar in Atlanta.

Last edited:
Ron Love trained at my gym around 1986. He trained lighter than any big guy and little guy like me. Crazy how big he was for using such light weights. James Demelo trained at out gym and he was strong as hell, huge ass calves.

kai greene i trained next to this year in my gym

last year i trained next to phil heath, spotted him, and told him hed win MR O this year, boo yea got it right

I trained a few times with sonny , many years ago .
we used to spar a bit as well . he was a very good fighter , almost as good as a bodybuilder. boy he could hit hard..
I was very young and new here , In the beginning I did not know that he was famous , till my wife said to me that it was him on the gym wall...

The biggest for me to date was Lou Ferrigno when he made his comeback, he was guest posing in town and was at my gym to train. His calves were the size of NFL footballs no word of a lie. He was by far the biggest Pro Ive seen and Ive seen many going back to Vic Richards and Nimrod King, two of the thickest guys Ive ever seen.

My gym back in the early 90's, Gators Gym, was full of power lifters and bodybuilders all big and ripped, it was an amazing time back then to be in the gym. These days is a way different scene. Nobody wants to be huge anymore. :confused:

Met many at the Arnold classic. Jay, Phil, Branch, Dexter, Evan, Fuad, Dave Palumbo.. and some other.. Very cool experience. Biggest fan of Jay, Phil and Evan. I like them the most because of how they portray themselves as a person.

My most exciting moment so far was when I was contraction overseas for the State Department. Arnold came into Baghdad and our team was fortunate enough to get assigned to his security detail. haha EVERYONE was interleaving to work that day! Here I am to the right of Arnold (his left).
**broken link removed**

I have met and talked with Coleman, Jay, Dennis James, Gunter, Shawn Ray, Flex, Lou, Sergio Oliva, Bob Chic, Lee Priest, Johnny Jakkson, Branch,Phil Heath and a few others. I have pictures with most that I have listed here. I have also talked on the phone several times with the great Phil Hernon, but have not met him in person yet.

Between attending some Olympia events, Jr Nationals, Nationals, Sacramento Pro, NPC SanFranciso, The Emerald Cup, Bodybuilding.com Expo, and a few supplement store openings I have managed to talk with several of these guys on multiple occasions.

David Henry last year, was happy to stand and chat for a bit about training, diet, etc, real cool dude. Cutler and hidetada at last year's phx pro show, both also chill dudes who seemed very personable. Last one is not a pro, but dusty hanshaw. he was guest posing at my show and had an iforce table set up. great guy with a great sarcastic sense of humor lol.

Mainly national level competitors...trained with a couple...Lance Dreher, Tim Belknap (trained at Champions Gym in Rockford IL...saw him get his ass handed to him in a bar fight. Didn't get a chance to really know him, kept to himself working out), Jeff Munson, Jeff Primm.

Met a few pros at various shows...Tom Platz, Bertil Fox, Mike Francois, there could be more that come up if my gray matter will release those names.

I also worked security for the WWE for a couple of years for events in the northern IL area...and met all the champs/chumps of the day...that really was a cool gig.

cool ass pic snrose

Thanks man.

I meant contracting.. not contraction. Also, volunteering..not interleaving..haha. I have NO idea why those came out. I never type that bad.

Last edited:
I also worked security for the WWE for a couple of years for events in the northern IL area...and met all the champs/chumps of the day...that really was a cool gig.

that would be a cool gig....

Ron, Gunther, Kris Dim and a few others. I saw Ron at his peak in year 2000...when i was just 17 years old skinny little kid in the gym. Ron was doing guest posing in my city, and worked out at my gym. I have seen a lot of bodybuilders...but when i saw Ronnie Coleman....he didn't even look like a human being. A bodybuilder that i would love to see workout and meet is Markus Rhul.

Grew up in Hawaii, I saw Chris Faildo train more than a few times. Now Hawaii has some big dudes. Hawaiians, Samoans and Tongans can be particularly large. Now Chris wasn't very tall and even off season he stays very lean but he was a specimen. So one year 93 or 94 I was home from college during the summer and he was at the gym I was training at [more like I was at the gym he was training at.] He was doing shrugs and so was I. Chris grabbed some 150 DB's and did his set. I thought I'd be cool and grabbed the 200's and did my set. However, when trying to rack them I didn't get the 2nd one back on right and it crashed to the floor. The big dude behind the front desk came out running and yelling at me. As he's yelling at me I see Chris behind him look at me and he just shrugged his shoulder and gave me a half smile/smirk. Tried to show off and got put in my place. :eek::banghead: oh to be young and dumb again.

BTW I think he's au naturale too

Many years ago I met Chris Dickerson and I personally know Katherynne Ramirez IFBB Fitness Competitor

I've saw Robbie Robinson train at my gym when he was in town...22 years ago!LoL! Nancy Lewis used to train at my gym regularly (That was about the same time too!).

I've met Lee Priest, Dorian Yates, Ronnie Coleman, Mike Matarazzo, Jay Cutler, Flex Wheeler, Troy Alves, Dexter Jackson, Don Long, Victor Martinez, Ed Corney, Clancy Ross (Not sure if he was ever a pro), Flavio (Not sure how to spell his last name), and I'll be visiting/training with Emeric Delczeg next week! I'm sure there's more, I just can't think of any off of the top of my head!!

and I'll be visiting/training with Emeric Delczeg next week! I'm sure there's more, I just can't think of any off of the top of my head!!

wow, that should be fun doing the emeric training system...please come back and tell us how it goes...

Hidetada Yamagishi a couple weeks after the Olympia this year. I was blown away by how good of shape he was in and when he said he liked the way my chest and triceps looked, well that pretty much made my day.:st:r-wars

Trey Brewer...2 years ago. He was in decent shape then. Not so much anymore...:eek:

Thank you all for your responses. I have enjoyed reading all your comments and experiences.
While I have written here in great detail about some of my experiences, I will add a few more
observations and comments . . .

I think it is fair to say that when I saw my first real bodybuilder (Arnold at Gold’s, Venice Beach)
I was totally unprepared mentally, was blown away by his size and shape. And generally speaking,
was also in total disbelief by their “loose” form and the amount of weight they used, which to my
thinking and from what I read and saw in the magazines at the time, was far less then I had anticipated.
That is not to say they were not strong, they were; far stronger that I was or would ever be. I
just anticipated, was led to believe the weights to be more in-line with their size. Silly me.

I also observed that they did not train as hard as I thought they would (or should?), which is also
to say, to muscular failure, though there were a few exceptions, which I will get to later. They all
seemed to have this innate ability to know just how hard to push themselves. Not too much and
not too little. And all appeared to have the ability to “connect” with their muscles while training,
knowing just what part of the movement produced the desired effect.

Arnold Schwarzenegger like I said above, was my first encounter and he was everything and
more than what I expected. He was very friendly and nice and trained with total concentration
and focus. I also attended one of seminars in Chicago, spent a day with him and a few other
people, and trained with him, with him critiquing. Special. Lance Dreher was in the gym at the
time and I watched him train also. Franco Columbo was very strong for his size. I did not talk
with him much. (Did not talk to any of the bodybuilders when they were training, only before
or after.) I seem to remember a language barrier or he was just not interested in talking to me.
Irvin 'Zabo' Koszewski was there too, doing his endless ab crunches. That is all I saw him do.

Tom Platz was a total animal in the gym. Probably one of the hardest training bodybuilders I
have ever seen. Unfortunately I did not get to see him do a leg workout. Serge Nubret was
probably one of the most “beautiful” physiques I have ever seen. Just stunning. I saw him train
many times, always doing many many “light” sets, never to failure, always pumping it seems.
Danny Padilla was one of the most impressive; densely packed, thickly muscled, with full and
round muscles, almost ridiculously so. Hard to believe anybody could have that much muscle
on their frame.

Charles Glass, very friendly and knowledge, sharing and working in with other bodybuilders. Peter
Grymkowski was another monster (with very bad skin). I met him when he worked / owned Gold’s
Gym in Santa Monica. David Johns I met while standing in line at the Mr. Universe contest in LA. Nice
guy, very friendly with huge arms which he had no problem displaying. The Pumping Iron film crew
was there, outside, filming all the people in line. I landed on the cutting room floor (the story of my
life, hahahah) as did the entire scene if memory serves. Ray Mentzer I saw training and was surprised
at the number of sets he did per body-part and lack of intensity in his training as I was led to believe
otherwise by his writings. Got a foto of him and my adorable female cousin, have been trying for
ages to get that from her. Oh well. Also attended one of Mike’s training seminars in Oakland, CA.

Casey Viator was another monster who trained very hard and very strictly. (There is foto of me
with him in Florida on this board somewhere if I haven’t deleted it. Standing next him I look like a
stick man, which I was as I had just returned from Africa, where I had been working of a game
preserve, having lost ~ 20lbs) Unfortunately I did not get to see Arthur put him through a workout,
which is what I was hoping for . . . now that would have been something to see! Ellington
Darden I met in Florida many times, he was never interested in talking bodybuilding, at least to me.

Bob Birdsong did the exact same forearm routine as outlined in a muscle magazine I had just read.
Wonder of all wonders . . . just as advertised! C F Smith another high intensity, low frequency training
guy with very impressive results. Nice guy. Very open and honest. Watched him train a couple of times.
He did an interview with Bill Reynolds when I was there. I read a copy of the interview later and he did
what he said he did training wise. Then there was Steve Davis (who I forgot to mention) who was then
known for his “transformation” from fat to muscular, which at the time was really something. A friend
and I spent an afternoon with him at a (his?) gym up in the Valley. He was remarkably open and honest
about drug usage and diet such as it was back the day . . . Lou Ferrigno, just a huge man is all physical
regards. Don’t think he was in his prime, maybe “Hulk” condition. Greg “Rocky” DeFerro, another very
hard trainer. I think he has since passed away.

Frank Zane, I attended one of his seminars in Oakland CA. He would get lost in a crowd in his street clothes,
but when they came off . . . wow! Robby Robinson was super impressive. The Barbarian Brothers (David
and Peter Paul) were crazy strong. Never saw any skin, they were always covered up, looked like monster
construction workers. Vince Gironda, met him at his gym, was friendly and nice contrary to what I had
expected. Met Dennis Tenerino there also though did not see him train, just talked with him and Vince.

Mike Dayton I met at bodybuilding show in Oakland where he guest posed and then gave a strength demo,
breaking a pair of police handcuffs. I then hunted him down, introduced him to my Karate instructor who
was somebody I told him he had to meet. They went on to become good friends, eventually taking Karate
lessons from him. I met Mike a year or so later at a Christmas party at my Sensei’s house where he proce-
eded to hang himself, literally, from his neck with a regulation noose, from a second story hand railing, a
demonstration of how strong his neck was, dangling among a crowd of onlookers. Amazing.

Chris Dickerson I saw train very briefly at Gold’s (after hours, he had a key, liked to train alone I guess) when
I stopped there to get a ride to a Tom Platz, pre-Olympia posing exhibition. Ron Teufel looked very young.
Ed Corney was super nice. Manual Perry I think had won the Mr. America when I was there. Tim Belknap,
just wow!, Roger Callard, movie star good looks with a great body. Ken Waller, very strong and a no non-
sense guy. Kent Kuehn, friendly and funny. Tony Pearson, great taper, no calves. Roy Callendar used sponges
in his hands for gripping, what’s up with that?

All were friendly and nice. I don’t know what the bodybuilding environment is like now a days, if the top dogs
are even approachable. Some are some aren’t like most people in life I suppose, but I don’t think we have
the same comradery or the same concentration of bodybuilders in same place at the same as it was back in
day.

My training “takeaways”, based upon my conversations and observations is this . . . they all trained hard, some
harder than others. Most all used a volume based routine, multiple sets, multiple exercises, with moderate reps.
All one would consider very strong. Their style of training would be considered “loose”, not perfect form (Casey,
Mentzer, and C F Smith being exceptions) but not sloppy or stupid. They all knew what worked for them, felt
right for them, and they did it with total and absolute concentration, a real mind / body connection.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear