over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bodybuilding and working 3rd shift.

Try to keep as many days of the week the same sleep wise as possible. The biggest problem people have is try to change back to a "normal" hours for days off. I had the best results when I had another job, working 11-7 or there abouts seven days a week. It was EASY. My worse were 2 years of 11-7 friday and sat, them 8-5 monday-friday. That was truly HELL I'd just get adjusted to 8-5 by thursday, then it all started over friday. Slept most of the day sat and sunday, It truly was hell...

Get light blocking shades and several box fans for noise...

Remember IMO, a job you like and pays well (money for food, juice, etc), no matter the hours, beats the hell out of a low paying one or one you hate...

currently been doing the 7pm-430am shift for a year. It was tough adjusting at first, but my best gains came this last year. Now I know its not because of the shit, obviously but it didn't hinder anything or at least I didn't use it as an excuse. I busted my ass to prove I can take on a bigger role within the company dealing with customers/liasons so I pretty much got a promotion and will be switching back to day shift obviously.

Not sure how your social life is/if your married or single, but the hardest part was losing a lot of your social life working the night shift.

I work damn swing shifts. I find the midnight shift 12am-8am for me is one miserable shift. I have no appetIte until 7 in the morning and I always lose weight on that shift. I tried training after work but just can't have decent workouts. Once I wake up at around 4 or 5pm is when I work out. Actually I have 6 midnights this week, not looking forward to it but the money is great

currently been doing the 7pm-430am shift for a year. It was tough adjusting at first, but my best gains came this last year. Now I know its not because of the shit, obviously but it didn't hinder anything or at least I didn't use it as an excuse. I busted my ass to prove I can take on a bigger role within the company dealing with customers/liasons so I pretty much got a promotion and will be switching back to day shift obviously.

Not sure how your social life is/if your married or single, but the hardest part was losing a lot of your social life working the night shift.

I'm soon to be married, and she is a 9-5er, kind of concerned about seeing one another...

I work as a bouncer 10pm-6am
It has affected my bodybulding regimen in a negative way from many stand points.
Diet/sleep go to shit. It depends also where you work. (night club..or maybe deskjob)
The money makes it worth it for me but Im thinking about not doing competitions anymore becouse of it.
If bodybuilding is important to you , I would not recomand you take the job.
The human body responds best to sleep starting at 10-12 PM and is made for sleeping at night.
All my friends who compete in diffrent sports that work with me ( strongman/kickboxing) take a few weeks free before.
For bodybuilding it doesnt really work.. At least for me

I'm soon to be married, and she is a 9-5er, kind of concerned about seeing one another...

It's tough on all aspects of life....face it you are working when everyone else is winding down..you have to weigh the positives though not just in bodybuilding...my gains and personal life took a back seat to a career for 6 months I worked a 5-5 shift 4 days a week...but it lead to a day shift promotion 6 months later.
In addition to your girl...lots of other things you miss out on the days when you are sleeping--if you can sleep that is....I went through hell got home at 7 am and was up by 1 pm everyday. I even blacked out an entire room as well as had to wear earplugs as it was from spring to fall and you would not imagine the noise outside that gravitates in-and I live in a "secluded" area I thought.
Yours might not be as bad being 8 hrs but I even tried staying on schedule the whole seven days going to bed @ 5-6 am ....I just recall it as a very miserable time of my life when it came to family and bodybuilding I was always tired and out of sync.
But like I said it was not permanent...since that time over a decade ago I was offered some even more lucrative pay at another company -which was terrible...rotating shifts and rotating work days ..between 3 5 and 7 days per week and 8-12 hour days....

everything you said here is true. Been working 10p-6a for 17 years. At first it's great, something different. As the years pass your sleeping will struggle to the point where your getting 4 hours of sleep a day. You will get moody and cranky towards people. Your body can't a just on your off days, it doesnt know whether to sleep or stay up. Alot of guys I know stay in "night shift mode" even on their off days. Your eating gets all screwed up.

Have a plan if you decide to go for it. Work a few years and get to a different shift the first chance you get.

I work as a bouncer 10pm-6am
It has affected my bodybulding regimen in a negative way from many stand points.
Diet/sleep go to shit. It depends also where you work. (night club..or maybe deskjob)
The money makes it worth it for me but Im thinking about not doing competitions anymore becouse of it.
If bodybuilding is important to you , I would not recomand you take the job.
The human body responds best to sleep starting at 10-12 PM and is made for sleeping at night.
All my friends who compete in diffrent sports that work with me ( strongman/kickboxing) take a few weeks free before.
For bodybuilding it doesnt really work.. At least for me

This is by far the worst part of it, not the gym. In reality it shouldn't be, as she's going to bed when you're going to work, but it just feels unnatural. The gym is great early at 7AM, or even at 2:00 PM if you go home straight away and get to sleep. I also found myself leaner when I worked that schedule. The timing of when I ate I guess, coupled with not having to wake up for a day shift. I was young then, and I often went to bed at 2AM and had to be up for work at 5:30 the next day when I worked days. Working that night schedule, you get your sleep and wake up when she'll be getting home if you need some extra rest on your off days. I was undisciplined then, so it worked out for me because I wasn't missing anything at 2:30 PM. Getting errands done while everyone is at work is also great and a time-saver. But, I was young then, and it affected my social life, and I actually was fortunate that I worked Sun-Thurs, yet I still hated that part of it. It wasn't hard on my body at all, but I was always a night-bird, and still am, so it was in line with my natural rhythm.

Last edited:
Where I live we call it the GRAVEYARD SHIFT and it's for a reason. I quit after 6 months ( this was way back when the economy was booming; you quit 1 job you get another within a week:) I was making good money especially on weekends as a bartender but the hours were brutal (12 am-8am) I dreaded going to work and I use to live in a new area where construction was going on all the time!!
so when i get home the noise level was depressing.
the only reason I accepted the gig was the fact that the bar manager promised me a swing shift position after my 90 days probation period, 6 months later, not only i was not given the swing shift but they went ahead and hired a NEW bartender (blonde with big fake tits) for that shift. So i gave my 2 weeks notice and quit. I hated waking up laaaate in the afternoon and going to the gym
At a prime time when it was so freaking packed, most times I ended up cutting my workouts short:( if I recall correctly i had gained a substantial amount of fat because i was not motivated, lazy to cook my meals so i mostly eat at work
(most of the food is pizza, burgers, hot dogs, fried chicken, pasta, shepards pie,cake...) sometimes i'd try to push myself to workout after my shift but i'll be so tired that I end up going home to sleep?well this was my experience and I hope you'll have a better one.

Last edited:
I work 3rds.I get up have my meal go to the gym come home eat spend time with the family make my meals for work go to work come home repeat.#rds work out the best for me and my family,

I work 3rds.I get up have my meal go to the gym come home eat spend time with the family make my meals for work go to work come home repeat.#rds work out the best for me and my family,
My EXACT schedule, only replace family tine with "me" time lol

I don't exactly work 3rd shift, but I am a bouncer at a nightclub so my hours are about the same. Boxing is my sport, but training is training, and it's going to be tough to adjust your training and meals and such to the times, but I enjoy it. Honestly, it ends up being a really secluded, really aloof lifestyle for me which I find is helpful though mentally its tough to stick with it.

that is the true questions man, you will find out if your soon to be wife will still be able to take on you being gone when she sleeps. Women need that "safeness" when they go to bed. They want to be held and cuddled. Forget the gym you will get that shit down just like I did and many others have. I broke up with my gf/soon to be wife partially because of the night shift. We had other problems add up but I know for a fact the night shift took a toll on both of us. I also missed the company of waking up to her and what not. It will be tough and little things you will notice won't happen no more.

that is the true questions man, you will find out if your soon to be wife will still be able to take on you being gone when she sleeps. Women need that "safeness" when they go to bed. They want to be held and cuddled. Forget the gym you will get that shit down just like I did and many others have. I broke up with my gf/soon to be wife partially because of the night shift. We had other problems add up but I know for a fact the night shift took a toll on both of us. I also missed the company of waking up to her and what not. It will be tough and little things you will notice won't happen no more.

Yeah I know for a fact she will miss me in bed (cuddler haha)...and I'm pretty sure it would suck for me too.

I'm thinking the only way I'd do it at this point is if there is a clear timeline to landing a daytime position...if so, then it would be worth it for a bit.

Thank you all for your input!

Did it for years. Make sure you dont do much when you get off work, sun light will make you loose track of when you should be sleeping...get very dark curtains for your room.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws