over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bodybuilding is NOT a sport

damn... you read my mind as i was scrolling down, that's what i was saying.

the only reason people try and try and try to define bodybuilding as a sport is because they want to have a convincing arguement whenever they talk with someone who says "this is stupid anyway... bodybuilding isn't a sport. basketball players are a million times more athletic than bodybuilders" or whatever...
there threads are everywhere at getbig :D

lifting weights is a sport (as in powerlifting and olympic weight lifting) because there is a clear cut goal you have to acheive. BODYBUILDING is just a beauty pageant for men. sad, but true. A soccer match can't be thrown off by "politics" (well, you can always argue that they bribe the judge or whatever, but that's different)... you never find people saying such and such got robbed in the 100 meter dash... cuz there's a goal, and whoever acheives it first, wins. In bodybuilding, it's up to how the judges feels that day, not by acheiving the goal... the goal is to be dry, shredded, big, and bring your god given "beauty" on stage.

I can't speak for everyone, cuz other people have different opinions about why they want bodybuilding to be a sport so bad.. but if someone is bugging you about it not being a sport, just say "hey, a broke soccer player can't get laid for shit. a broke ass ugly bodybuilder has a much better chance... and if you don't agree, my arms are bigger than your thighs so you can imagine what would happen if i clothelined your ass."

that, to me, is much better than trying to argue about how it is a sport :D
j/k

great points:D

Tflexxin.... You say the general public ant bodybuild and COMPETE but everyone can golf...well, really everyone can golf but may take them 200 strokes to get around course, anyone can pay the registration and step on stage too....neither one actually COMPETEING in the full sense of the word.

Not sure where I stand... I'm like all here, likely sick of justifying the "sport" to others that don't have the willpower to compete with THEMSELFS

Phats.

Tflexxin.... You say the general public ant bodybuild and COMPETE but everyone can golf...well, really everyone can golf but may take them 200 strokes to get around course, anyone can pay the registration and step on stage too....neither one actually COMPETEING in the full sense of the word.

Not sure where I stand... I'm like all here, likely sick of justifying the "sport" to others that don't have the willpower to compete with THEMSELFS

Phats.

No need to justify it bro. Whether it IS or IS NOT a sport in people's minds does not matter. It takes nothing away from the difficulty surrounding it.

The way I see this question, to answer you must first determine, IN YOUR OPINION, what factors differentiate sports from non-sports. Then see how bodybuilding fits in.

The topic was for debate, and the responses prove that this board is not filled with 17 year old pimply faced kids sitting a their parent's computers, but rather guys/gals interested in bodybuilding and also interested in THINKING about it!!

Bodybuilding isn't a sport, Marbles is.

... and this is important because?

Its a competition based on looks so I would say no not that takes anything away from it more of an art like someone else said.

Bodybuilding isn't a sport, Marbles is.

... and this is important because?
If you did'nt like the thread, why bother reading it, athought I doubt you did because you would then have known why....
It's NOT important. It's a topic for people to read and think about.

Chess isnt a sport but that takes nothing away from its diffuclty to master. defining yourself by a label is a grave mistake. define yourself by your passion, dedication, effort, and actions.

Chess isnt a sport but that takes nothing away from its diffuclty to master. defining yourself by a label is a grave mistake. define yourself by your passion, dedication, effort, and actions.

I think you just shut everyone on both sides up, well said.

Awesome post.

Honestly, bodybuilding kinda transcends traditional labels.
Bodybuilders live and breathe this stuff.

excellent quote. there really IS no need to define bodybuilding as a sport for this very reason..
NUFF SAID TKAV. You win the door prize for best answer!!!:D

there it is... it's settled!

its a competion u compete against other competetors. does this make it a sport i think its open for interpritation. is a chilli cook off a sport is a cattle show a sport. but it is a competion thats a fact.

I dont really know if you could classify it as a sport but bodybuilders def work harder and have it harder than any other sport.

damn... you read my mind as i was scrolling down, that's what i was saying.

BODYBUILDING is just a beauty pageant for men. sad, but true. j/k

What a virtual spectrum of views. About a month ago a few guys referred to dog fighting as a sport and recently BBlders were compared to a blood sport of Roman times "gladiators".

What is posing to music? A form of dancing? Is dancing a sport?

Gymnastics are scored much the same as BBing. That IS a sport. They probably put in the same kind of hours as a pro BBer. They have a HUGE level of skill. As we all train in the gym, get jacked and lift alot of weight it's hard to think that it's a "beauty pageant" that were training for.

I think I agree with you Buselmo. I just want to know why they didn't give Cutler a crown and roses this year.:D

What a virtual spectrum of views. About a month ago a few guys referred to dog fighting as a sport and recently BBlders were compared to a blood sport of Roman times "gladiators".

What is posing to music? A form of dancing? Is dancing a sport?

Gymnastics are scored much the same as BBing. That IS a sport. They probably put in the same kind of hours as a pro BBer. They have a HUGE level of skill. As we all train in the gym, get jacked and lift alot of weight it's hard to think that it's a "beauty pageant" that were training for.

I think I agree with you Buselmo. I just want to know why they didn't give Cutler a crown and roses this year.:D

In gymnastics they judge based on 2 things: difficulty of the routine, and execution. This involves great skill and athletecism DURING the competition.

Bodybuilders are judged by how they look. They have a set of mandatory poses for displaying their body.

This is more similar to a beauty pageant than anything. Physique competition/beauty pageants are not sports, but the competitors are often times athletes.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke
NapsGear