over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bodybuilding vs MMA videos?

Mike Pulcinella

Banned
Registered
I've shot a few bodybuilding contests recently but find that I don't get many orders for the DVDs. I think that a bodybuilder/figure competitor can pretty much see all s/he needs to see from a good still pic. A video is not necessary. However, in boxing and martial arts a video is the ONLY way to evaluate one's performance and possibly improve it for next time.

What are your thoughts on this and does anyone know of any Mixed Martial Arts competitions in the PA/Del/NJ area that would like the services of a videographer? Or am I just wasting my time?

Thanks,
Mike

[email protected]

Samples of my work can be found at
www.mikepulcinella.com

...or on Youtube

http://youtube.com/profile?user=gatomjp

If I was going to do a fight, I would spend the money to have a quality video shot of it. One thing to consider though, is that you can only get one angle. I just watched a fight where the girl knocked out here opponent in 15 seconds. It was video taped, but the Ref was right in the way.

have you ever considered offering 2 different camera men?

Sure it might cost a bunch more, but it will make the cheaper option look better and if there is something wrong with the angle you got, they really can't complain.

I'd start hitting up the MMA boards.

If I was going to do a fight, I would spend the money to have a quality video shot of it. One thing to consider though, is that you can only get one angle. I just watched a fight where the girl knocked out here opponent in 15 seconds. It was video taped, but the Ref was right in the way.

have you ever considered offering 2 different camera men?

Sure it might cost a bunch more, but it will make the cheaper option look better and if there is something wrong with the angle you got, they really can't complain.

I'd start hitting up the MMA boards.

Good point. Without question I would be using AT LEAST two cameras if not three. The video would be high quality if I was doing it.

So what price range do you expect to charge for this? have you got a general idea yet and done any?

How many fights go on up there?

Mike, I think that's a great idea! Yea like Amazon Doll said you would def need muliti angles to capture all the action and so the fighter could see from a couple of perspectives. Goos suggestion there AD, so not just a pretty face huh?? NICE!

So what price range do you expect to charge for this? have you got a general idea yet and done any?

How many fights go on up there?

Usually my BB DVDs sell for $39 for the day or evening show and $59 for both. That's pretty standard in the industry.

For MMA it would depend on how long it takes me to shoot and edit it. Would it be the competitors ordering DVDs or would I be making it for the organization running the show and then THEY would sell it? Would the competitors want to see the whole tournament or would they just want a DVD of their own fights?

These are the kinds of details that would have to be worked out on a case by case basis.

Usually my BB DVDs sell for $39 for the day or evening show and $59 for both. That's pretty standard in the industry.

For MMA it would depend on how long it takes me to shoot and edit it. Would it be the competitors ordering DVDs or would I be making it for the organization running the show and then THEY would sell it? Would the competitors want to see the whole tournament or would they just want a DVD of their own fights?

These are the kinds of details that would have to be worked out on a case by case basis.
I can see a huge potential here. Fighters wanting to see their fights but also fighters wanting to see their opponents fight as well. To be able to study your opponents style, faults etc.

may be worthwhile getting in touch with the local athletic commisions to see what orgs are sanctioned by them. then you can contact those orgs pimp yourself out showing your past videos. Most likely the orgs will want to sell the vids on there websites, at shows and you could also sell in local gyms/ MA academys and supplement shops etc. Also alot of great BJJ gyms in NJ, they may want to do a project with you to film training to sell to students to learn tecniques. Alot of great BJJ coaches have these vids already, machado, jacare etc.

good luck bro

I'll tell you if someone came to me and showed me a portfolio of his work and it was good and said he would do a 2 angle video of my fight, I would be willing to fork over $150 for it no problem.

Trouble is most of the guys fighting are just kids. The market for higher quality work is the 35+ age bracket and theres not so many of them out there.

i guess if you had a few fighters at the same event the price could get reasonable.

Me personally........i would want a 3 angle highly edited version of my ass getting kicked by some little 20year old :eek:

My beauty gets me far Oldfella but it's my brains that get me in trouble ;)

I'll tell you if someone came to me and showed me a portfolio of his work and it was good and said he would do a 2 angle video of my fight, I would be willing to fork over $150 for it no problem.

Trouble is most of the guys fighting are just kids. The market for higher quality work is the 35+ age bracket and theres not so many of them out there.

i guess if you had a few fighters at the same event the price could get reasonable.

Me personally........i would want a 3 angle highly edited version of my ass getting kicked by some little 20year old :eek:

My beauty gets me far Oldfella but it's my brains that get me in trouble ;)
I heard that!!!:D

get in touch with local athletic commissions bro

go only for professional events, as a former boxer I can tell you that nobody will buy amateur fights

just check over the internet who is a puncher, stylist, technician .... and shoot their fights ... when it comes to fight people want to see "sensational" stuff like KO or amazing abilities on the ring.... this is how u can make sales

u would need at least 3 different angles otherwise it would be a lil boring to watch

I'm talking about boxing only, dunno about other fight sports ....

hope this helps ...

go only for professional events, as a former boxer I can tell you that nobody will buy amateur fights

Thanks for your input but I have one question...

Wouldn't the amateurs want to buy their own fights in order to assess their technique and improve for next time?

I would think it would be more of just capturing the moment (especially if they win) than the fight critique of their strenghts & weakeness. But I'm sure there are a variety of reasons.

Ask a few fighters why they would want to see their fight on video and use the vrious answers as a marketing tool.

There isn't much money in MMA especially at amatuer level, so people may not be willing to pay around $40 to watch themselves fight. If they have a good coach they will be able to tell them what went wrong/right.I know when I had a fight the dvd's where going for £15 and tbh I wasn't interested in watching it to see myself for just over 3 mins, never know tho maybe just me.But I honestly think either a professional org to film there events for them to distibute or coaching/instructional vids with a BJJ or MMA gym would be the better option to make money.

There isn't much money in MMA especially at amatuer level, so people may not be willing to pay around $40 to watch themselves fight. If they have a good coach they will be able to tell them what went wrong/right.I know when I had a fight the dvd's where going for £15 and tbh I wasn't interested in watching it to see myself for just over 3 mins, never know tho maybe just me.But I honestly think either a professional org to film there events for them to distibute or coaching/instructional vids with a BJJ or MMA gym would be the better option to make money.

You make some very good points. Thanks.

And thank you all for helping me with this.

Thanks for your input but I have one question...

Wouldn't the amateurs want to buy their own fights in order to assess their technique and improve for next time?

most of the time, amateurs have friend or a member or their family/team who tapes it for them

I would think it would be more of just capturing the moment (especially if they win) than the fight critique of their strenghts & weakeness. But I'm sure there are a variety of reasons.

Ask a few fighters why they would want to see their fight on video and use the vrious answers as a marketing tool.

the fighters don't buy their own fights on dvd / tpae

only fans do

the fighters don't buy their own fights on dvd / tpae

only fans do
then why do so many amature fighters I know always say "I wish I knew somebody who video taped my fight so I could see it" ?

then why do so many amature fighters I know always say "I wish I knew somebody who video taped my fight so I could see it" ?

bro it's been more than 9 years now that I've been involved in that game, trust me amateur fights are not a way to make money , and I repeat it most of the time in our teams there was anyone who was taping the fight on video

anyway , if only fighters want to see their fights, how many tape would be sold ? 2 ? 1 bought by each opponent ?

when it comes to fighting mike, only sensationl make sales, this is where u have to go to make $$$
u can also contact local channel to work with them too, maybe do some of them hire pofessional video makers to do that (have no clue about that)

I'm sure u can make a few $$$ on it buddy

if u are a photographer too, then u have to know that black and white shot can be absolutely beautiful and brings u $$$ too

most of the time, amateurs have friend or a member or their family/team who tapes it for them

Yes, and we all know what THAT looks like! There would be no comparison with having a professionally produced video but I can see how the cost might be a problem.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Lbmike99
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws