over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

"Bodybuilding"

It's debatable, they're tiny and not impressive to me
Lol they may not be impressive to you but that's your opinion. The word "bodybuilding" has an actual definition - "Bodybuilding is the use of progressive resistance exercise to control and develop one's muscles by muscle hypertrophy for aesthetic purposes." You may not like classes that don't push the body the way the open class does, but that doesn't change the definition.

Anywayyyy this thread took a weird turn lol. Was just looking for other ways people here describe themselves within the bodybuilding lifestyle.

True to a point, but would you call a 6 foot 1 inch 170 lb man a bodybuilder? If he is, he's really bad at it or has terrible genes.

Or doesn't juice. Most contest lean, legit naturals usually weigh in the 150's or 160's on stage (Bob Waterhouse, AJ Morris, Jack Thorburn). If someone weighs in the 180's he's usually 6'4 or a freak. It just goes to show how everyone thinks 250+ is attainable with just diet, hard work, and enough time put in. Everyone is so used to watching IFBB pros that anything less is ridiculed. Drugs raise the ceiling of potential by 100 lb. Obviously those guys still work their asses off in the gym and with their nutrition, but downplaying the drugs is laughable.

Lol they may not be impressive to you but that's your opinion. The word "bodybuilding" has an actual definition - "Bodybuilding is the use of progressive resistance exercise to control and develop one's muscles by muscle hypertrophy for aesthetic purposes." You may not like classes that don't push the body the way the open class does, but that doesn't change the definition.

Anywayyyy this thread took a weird turn lol. Was just looking for other ways people here describe themselves within the bodybuilding lifestyle.

That's interesting the definition is very broad, it implies that a broad range of people are bodybuilders aka anyone who lifts. I think true bodybuilders and those who train but don't want to be labeled a bodybuilder would both have an issue with this.

Powerlifters probably view themselves as more hard core and don't want to be called bodybuilder.

Lean fit guys don't want to be lumped in with bodybuilder due to the negative connotation associated with it.

Athletes would probably be offended if someone called them a bodybuilder.

True bodybuilders probably take pride in being called a bodybuilder and don't want any of the above to be classified with them lol.

That's interesting the definition is very broad, it implies that a broad range of people are bodybuilders aka anyone who lifts. I think true bodybuilders and those who train but don't want to be labeled a bodybuilder would both have an issue with this.

Powerlifters probably view themselves as more hard core and don't want to be called bodybuilder.

Lean fit guys don't want to be lumped in with bodybuilder due to the negative connotation associated with it.

Athletes would probably be offended if someone called them a bodybuilder.

True bodybuilders probably take pride in being called a bodybuilder and don't want any of the above to be classified with them lol.
At this point we are arguing literal definition of a word versus the culture nuance associated with it

Curious what other synonyms you guys have used over the years for "bodybuilding" when having conversations with the average Joe. Like it or not the term has some negative connotations and/or preconceived notions in certain circles. When most people hear the term bodybuilding they think of a 300lb mass monster using steroids. Was having a conversation with my mother the other day and she had no clue how mainstream it's become; its no longer a subculture. For example I explained to her how there is the bikini division for females and some of them have more followers than Victoria Secret models. I guess I'm looking for other terms that still encompass the life but easier to digest for the ill informed.

I think it was Jay that said you are not
bodybuilder until you step on stage.

Like it or not bikini competitors are bodybuilders. Just because you don’t compete in “open bodybuilding” shows doesn’t take away from the fact that all of us here are “bodybuilders”. We spend half our lives building up our bodies for a certain type of aesthetic. Don’t matter if it’s men’s physique style bodies or open style bodies. Same goes for women.
What bikini competitor do you know that claims she’s a “bodybuilder”? I know a good bit and not a one would spout off bodybuilder when asked by a regular joe.

if you have not, or are not competing in bodybuilding, don’t claim your one.. if you compete in other divisions, your a xxxxxx competitor, fill in the blank, simple enough. I’m not a xxxxx competitor, I just like lifting weights... so when people ask if i’m a bodybuilder (well used to ask), i simply say, no I just like lifting weights.

I was never 300 pounds and was often asked if i was a bodybuilder. If people want to look down on that term, i think that is great. It sets the bar low as to what they expect of me. Which allows me to make it over much easier.
That's also true 🙂

And for me bubble gut is not impressive so what who is better ? Guy who looks like a million bucks or a guy who looks like he is 7month pregnant?????
You have a point lol.

I usually go with, "I'm a Fuck your preconceived notions I don't need your approval you twat..."

This is usually when they no longer wish to speak with me.............I do acknowledge there may be other approaches to the question.

I usually go with, "I'm a Fuck your preconceived notions I don't need your approval you twat..."

This is usually when they no longer wish to speak with me.............I do acknowledge there may be other approaches to the question.
THIS ^^^^^^^^

I've never concerned myself over how others interpret bodybuilding. Most with a negative view probably don't work out and wouldn't have the commitment it takes to be a bodybuilder! Real commitment to exercise and diet isn't for most!!
Agreed.

I’m pretty tall and carry a lot of size at my largest. Most people assume I’m a football player or something similar. Most people who I tel I bodybuild are genuinely curious and ask me training and diet questions

Why would anyone be ashamed of their passion?

Be proud of what you do, no matter what.
People don't want to be labeled something they aren't it's offensive. I view myself as qbkilla a guy who is tattooed and lifts weights. If someone refers to me as a bodybuilder (something I don't view myself as) I correct them.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • Bio
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear