over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bodyfat scales...how accurate?

kinglewy

Banned
Bought a nice "Homemedics" scale yesterday. Ever since dropping down to trt dose I have been reluctant to step on a scale because I know im shrinking fast.

Just by looking in the mirror I visually estimated my bodyfat at 10%. I have all 4 top abs coming in and the top 2 obliques on each side are visible.

Surprisingly enough when I set it to bodyfat% it said I was 10.5% bodyfat. I was kind of surprised that it was so close to what I visually estimated.

How accurate are these things? For a guy like me who doesn't compete I dont need to know exact % down to the decimal but if it's within a point or two of being accurate thats pretty good.

They can vary pretty significantly depending on hydration and electrolytes...

If you use it in a consistent manner (for example immediately upon waking) it can be a tool to gauge a general trend in lbm, but not to be taken as gospel.

You can see how wide the variation can be by using it several times throughout a day and noting the different readings it will give you.

my tanita that ive had since 06 told me this was 10%, i remember i averaged the readiings. this pic was back then, and low res, so i looked leaner in person.

61459_460855583937112_1185869083_n[1].jpg

I think the only machine I would ever come close to trusting is biolectrical impedance mad only for scaling BF. Even then I think skin folds are still superior to these machines if you do them properly.

I think the only machine I would ever come close to trusting is biolectrical impedance mad only for scaling BF. Even then I think skin folds are still superior to these machines if you do them properly.

I agree, but even those can be up too 4 points off. The more skin fold measurements, the more accurate.

my tanita that ive had since 06 told me this was 10%, i remember i averaged the readiings. this pic was back then, and low res, so i looked leaner in person.

View attachment 75958

Looks to be a bit lower than 10%, maybe 8 or so.

Bought a nice "Homemedics" scale yesterday. Ever since dropping down to trt dose I have been reluctant to step on a scale because I know im shrinking fast.

Just by looking in the mirror I visually estimated my bodyfat at 10%. I have all 4 top abs coming in and the top 2 obliques on each side are visible.

Surprisingly enough when I set it to bodyfat% it said I was 10.5% bodyfat. I was kind of surprised that it was so close to what I visually estimated.

How accurate are these things? For a guy like me who doesn't compete I dont need to know exact % down to the decimal but if it's within a point or two of being accurate thats pretty good.

These scales you have are more commonly referred to as bioelectrical impedance measurements. When you step on the scales, the electrodes you stand on pass a very weak electrical current through the body to test the resistance to current flow. As you know electricity moves faster through muscle and bone than it does through fat. The device measures this difference to calculate how much fat you have on your body. For the average person they are not so bad but when it comes to the elderly or athletes the accuracy starts to drop. Furthermore, readings can be affected by hydration levels, food intake, skin temperature, and other factors such as callouses on the feet, caffeine and diuretic intake and even dirty feet. Most of these things will cause a false high BF reading.

I do have a study that found there was a 8-9% error rate in using a bioelectrical impedance measurements. How does this compare with other more accurate methods?

1. Dual Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry (DEXA) is the new "gold standard."

2. Hydrostatic weighing has a +/- 1.5% error.

3. Skin fold caliper testing has a +/- 3% error.

4. Bod Pod (Air Displacement) has a +/- 3% error.

OK, so here are some tips for using you scale and getting the best reading you can.

• Don't eat and drink within 4 hours of the test
  • Avoid exercising within 12 hours of the test
  • Urinate prior to testing
  • Do not drink alcohol within 48 hours of the test
  • Avoid taking diuretics a week prior to testing
  • Take the test at the same time every time you take it

Last edited:
It looks to me to be around 7 or 8%. I would measure 3 to 4 times a day and see if it stays pretty accurate

There are no forms of home testing that are very accurate. For at home use, I simply use a tape measure - at least its consistent. Then every 6-8 weeks get an actual bodpod or dexa test done.

I agree, but even those can be up too 4 points off. The more skin fold measurements, the more accurate.

true
calipers are great

you have to keep in mind though that with calipers you do NOT measure visceral / organ fat... the vital fat in your body makes up about 3%, this is NOT included in the bodyfat calculation charts of calipers.

so you are always 3% bf HIGHER than your caliper tells you (plus/minus deviation)

my caliper puts me at 4% bodyfat when i can still pinch 1/3 inch of fat off my stomach lol.

most all bf measurement devices use some sort of mathematical algorithm. based off of your average person. so the father you are from average the less accurate they are going to be.

One of those scales would tell Phil Heath he was 30% bodyfat before he steps on stage at the Olympia. It does a mathematical calculation based on your weight, height, and age. It's all hooey.

One of those scales would tell Phil Heath he was 30% bodyfat before he steps on stage at the Olympia. It does a mathematical calculation based on your weight, height, and age. It's all hooey.

and electrical impedance....

if y'all judge my pic at 8-9 percent, then what would having striated upper glutes be, i wonder. that pic was my normal walking around condition, the next year i got alot leaner, had the cut glutes, and the scale read 7.7 percent, the lowest it ever read.

I have a Taylor that cost about $50 it always says the same thing even though my body fat fluctuates and its alway way high! These things are worthless!

They're hit or miss. I have the one you stand on with 4 sensors for your feet, and a hand held part as well with a sensor for each hand. Measured mine... Seemed a little high where as my other device which is purely handheld lined up with what I thought I was.

However I had a female friend of mine try the one you stand on.... It said her 5'4 115lb body with visible abs was 32% bf. Lol so there's no telling.

I've heard people talk about an "in body" body composition analyzer which seems very accurate. Actually tells you how much lean mass and fat mass is in each limb as well as your torso so that would be excellent to show imbalances.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131