YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bodyweight squats; wow..the most unbelievable pumps and your experience with them

Anabolic_Beast

Registered
Who here has started them recently and your experiences with doing them so far? I am working up to 18 sets of 20 reps with no more than 45 secs between sets and perfect form utilizing the front squat position. My goal is to do 500 in under 20 mins according to The Shredda:
So far I absolutely LOVE them and they are giving me the most absolute mind blowing pumps to the point where my legs start to go numb with the pump pain and I can't even walk. I have not been able to replicate these kind of consistent pumps in the gym as much as I would like to be able to in the past. Im talking the kind of pump where your legs begin to have these tingling mini spasms all over but pleasurable spasms (The Arnold Cumming pumps LOL)
I used to walk past that workout park in Chinatown right off Canal street by the courthouse and see all of these incredibly fit and ripped looking brothers and they used to all be doing them and was always awestruck by them.
Do you guys believe that one can build actually MASS doing these..or is the most they gonna go is give your legs a more ripped look and better endurance? I know that the pump is important for muscle growth because its forcing nutrients into the target muscles but I just wanted to hear what you guys have to say about the bodyweight squats since that's pretty much what I'm forced to do at this point even though I'm a front squat barbell kind of guy..even though I enjoy these bodyweight a hell of a lot better lol.

I think you could utilize them for recovery the day after a hard and heavy leg day. Feeder sets. I used to do a set or two of 30 to 40 rep squats with 225 the day after I did legs. Incredible feeling, but hard to do.

I dont think bodyweight squats are going to build much mass at all. The muscles need more resistance than they are accustomed to.

Not an overload with body weight squats. But with the few guys that I actually see squat it could be useful the ones that never work their legs would get sore, especially from 500 of them.

do em tabata style and you will feel it. and u can hold weight. get a rock. do em one leg at a time.
better than nothing for guys obsessed with "mass"

I would say it's possible to gain some mass doing this as long as some of these sets are done to complete muscular failure. I'm talking falling down on your ass because you couldn't get another rep failure.

I would say it's possible to gain some mass doing this as long as some of these sets are done to complete muscular failure. I'm talking falling down on your ass because you couldn't get another rep failure.

You'd likely just the reach the point of so much lactic acid buildup that you'd be forced to stop, I doubt very much it would be true muscular failure and result in any sort of noticeable hypertrophy. That is, unless your leg development was very weak to begin with.

That said, I have really enjoyed doing sissy squats, goblet squats and regular bodyweight squats during the lockdown. They can definitely be a challenge based on speed, form, etc.

I worked up to 385 hindu squats in a row. Was doing them daily. Legs never got any bigger. Knees got sore. Wish I would have done them every other day. Would be still doing them. Great cardio.

I think you could utilize them for recovery the day after a hard and heavy leg day. Feeder sets. I used to do a set or two of 30 to 40 rep squats with 225 the day after I did legs. Incredible feeling, but hard to do.

I dont think bodyweight squats are going to build much mass at all. The muscles need more resistance than they are accustomed to.
deep hams touching calves squats or parallel squats with the hips shooting back because i can tell you the level of difficulty is immense between the two? to OP, i have a back injury so i like to superset weighted walking lunges with either bodyweight or goblet squats done on a slant board going hams to calves. my quads usually get sore doing this FWIW and i used to do powerlifting and plenty of Olympic WL style squats and years before that bodybuilding type of workouts.

My quads are roasted from doing sissy squats with a heavy resistance band this morning! FUCK

Body weight squats can be beneficial, but Idk about for mass, unless you have beginner legs. I think they're awesome, when thrown in a routine with heavier lifts like squats, lunges or leg press. Can you do pistol squats? If so, I would do those & than burn out with regular body weight squats afterwards. I will be starting a home routine with pistol squats included, starting tomorrow.

Body weight squats can be beneficial, but Idk about for mass, unless you have beginner legs. I think they're awesome, when thrown in a routine with heavier lifts like squats, lunges or leg press. Can you do pistol squats? If so, I would do those & than burn out with regular body weight squats. I will be starting a home routine
i found pistol squats to be incredibly rough on the knees
Agreed! I was just explaining this to a guy today & the reason I don't do them more often. The angle the movement creates on the knee feels rough, but I am going to try to do them seated back as far as I can. Might wrap my knees to give them some extra support.

It's common sense people won't get huge mass from doing bodyweight squats. However you could still make your legs look better from them. Plus this type of training is only temporary. It's better than doing nothing and doing high volume bodyweight exercises at home can have many other benefits (cardiovascular fitness, fatloss etc). I think anyone would benefit from this type of training even when the gyms are back open. Regarding pumps well it doesn't really matter but you can get amazing pumps and muscle soreness from any movement.

It all depends upon how much you put into that movement. The same for results as well. Meaning you could do 3-4 half arsed training sessions at home per week and it will help maintain but won't do much. But doing 4 intense sessions were you burn lot's of calories and go to muscular failure multiple times is only going to benefit the way you look over time.

I love using resistance bands but I also use my exercise bike on level 32 (max setting) as a great way to train my legs whilst I am stuck at home. Doing interval training with maximum power exertion on level 32 for a few blasts has me feeling like I have done a massive drop set of hack squats.

It's common sense people won't get huge mass from doing bodyweight squats. However you could still make your legs look better from them. Plus this type of training is only temporary. It's better than doing nothing and doing high volume bodyweight exercises at home can have many other benefits (cardiovascular fitness, fatloss etc). I think anyone would benefit from this type of training even when the gyms are back open. Regarding pumps well it doesn't really matter but you can get amazing pumps and muscle soreness from any movement.

It all depends upon how much you put into that movement. The same for results as well. Meaning you could do 3-4 half arsed training sessions at home per week and it will help maintain but won't do much. But doing 4 intense sessions were you burn lot's of calories and go to muscular failure multiple times is only going to benefit the way you look over time.

I love using resistance bands but I also use my exercise bike on level 32 (max setting) as a great way to train my legs whilst I am stuck at home. Doing interval training with maximum power exertion on level 32 for a few blasts has me feeling like I have done a massive drop set of hack squats.
Even just doing sprints outside can last the legs in a similar fashion. Running steps. Maybe the local high school football stadium/track can be accessible.

Even just doing sprints outside can last the legs in a similar fashion. Running steps. Maybe the local high school football stadium/track can be accessible.

I once had a guide in South America (Venezuela) who, in the summer time, used to
hump huge resupply loads up to cabins along the Appalachian Trail. His legs and
calves were huge. When we climbed to the top of Mt. Roraima (took us 3 days to
get to the base) he did it all, with sandals on, carrying a huge big wall climbing bag.
Guy was an animal.

Very true. I think generally a lot of "bodybuilders" are very stubborn. Usually the more "hardcore" they think they are the more they will struggle without a gym because they are too set in their way. They don't want to use resistance bands or bodyweight squats etc. Some of them can't run up a set of stairs without nearly passing out. I am far from perfect myself and need to get my own fitness up but I still see this all the time. They think they aren't flexible or agile because they are too big but anyone can increase their agility and flexibility even if they are 300 pounds. I see it a lot and can't help but think no it's because you don't do anything apart from lift heavy weights. Very few do proper stretching and their idea of cardio is 20-30 mins walk on the treadmill (totally fine especially for someone who is massive).

I think for many this time out of the gym could be a blessing in disguise. Although for others it is simply all bad because if they can't lift heavy weights they can train. I won't be making that same mistake and plan to use this time to bring up my fitness and train in a way I may have never done if I had access to the gym daily.

There's a lot of good advice on here..thank you brothers for chiming in...im glad I asked to see where the whole bodyweight squats fall into play into the whole scheme of things. I actually do them once every 3 or 4 days (as opposed to everyday like some others do..which would burn me out). I find that it's making my morning power walk through the backwoods trails much faster, my legs don't get tired anymore and my shin splints are gone and there is much more lubrication in the knees now because of these bodyweight squats, strict stretching and the consistent morning power walks. I also see that my legs are getting more vascular and much more detailed than before. Lol..I am actually power walking as fast as some of the other "runners" on that trail..they just look at me with disbelief and I just keep "walking" on lol.
If given the choice..because I am big on cardio, power walking and running..I would take a pair of vascular, shredded and top condition legs over a pair of big massive muscular quads any day because when I used to do heavy weight squats in the gym..my legs would get so big that I couldn't walk more than a mile without developing nasty friction burns between my thighs and it got to the point where I would hate to walk and took me away from the important cardio..even on the days off..the chaffing between the thighs were killing me that I had to smear myself with lubriderm and coconut oil between thighs lol.
But yeah..I DEFINITELy agree with some of you guys that our time away from the gym is a time of profound learning and focus for a lot of us..and we can make such massive improvements now that our vision is more clear and open as opposed to before when we were in tunnel vision focus in our routine that we never thought of thinking outside of the box...now we are forced to think outside of the box..and thats beautiful..

Even just doing sprints outside can last the legs in a similar fashion. Running steps
There's a lot of good advice on here..thank you brothers for chiming in...im glad I asked to see where the whole bodyweight squats fall into play into the whole scheme of things. I actually do them once every 3 or 4 days (as opposed to everyday like some others do..which would burn me out). I find that it's making my morning power walk through the backwoods trails much faster, my legs don't get tired anymore and my shin splints are gone and there is much more lubrication in the knees now because of these bodyweight squats, strict stretching and the consistent morning power walks. I also see that my legs are getting more vascular and much more detailed than before. Lol..I am actually power walking as fast as some of the other "runners" on that trail..they just look at me with disbelief and I just keep "walking" on lol.
If given the choice..because I am big on cardio, power walking and running..I would take a pair of vascular, shredded and top condition legs over a pair of big massive muscular quads any day because when I used to do heavy weight squats in the gym..my legs would get so big that I couldn't walk more than a mile without developing nasty friction burns between my thighs and it got to the point where I would hate to walk and took me away from the important cardio..even on the days off..the chaffing between the thighs were killing me that I had to smear myself with lubriderm and coconut oil between thighs lol.
But yeah..I DEFINITELy agree with some of you guys that our time away from the gym is a time of profound learning and focus for a lot of us..and we can make such massive improvements now that our vision is more clear and open as opposed to before when we were in tunnel vision focus in our routine that we never thought of thinking outside of the box...now we are forced to think outside of the box..and thats beautiful..
Yeah, I used to wear biking tights under my pants to stop chaffing. Nowadays you could wear some spanx!

Frank Zane used to run several miles every when he was living in Palm Springs prepping
for the Olympia. Granted he did not have monster legs like we see today (he would not
have wanted them would be my guess) but they sure looked great in person or on the
stage.

Good interview here, how he prepped for shows, old school style (sorry about the repost):

And Bag Balm (tm) is great for chaffing. My wife used to use it when she was long distance
cycling, like 200 miles a day.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner