over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

bone spurs in hip socket..

jlm25

Registered
I recently have been having a lot of thigh pain in both legs. I finally got in to see my doc, we did x-rays on my hip bones and found bone spurs on both sides. I am not able to squat deep, or do any sumo pulls. I'm getting a mri with dye injected into my hip to see if there is any cartilage damage. My question is this; is it worth getting the bone spurs removed? I do competitive body building and I need to be able to squat. For me, I would do it, but I do not know of anyone who has had them removed, what the recovery time is, if they come back, etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

I recently have been having a lot of thigh pain in both legs. I finally got in to see my doc, we did x-rays on my hip bones and found bone spurs on both sides. I am not able to squat deep, or do any sumo pulls. I'm getting a mri with dye injected into my hip to see if there is any cartilage damage. My question is this; is it worth getting the bone spurs removed? I do competitive body building and I need to be able to squat. For me, I would do it, but I do not know of anyone who has had them removed, what the recovery time is, if they come back, etc.

Whether you compete or not, lifting weights is a life style for all of us. To me, the recovery time would be irrelevant...it has more to do with your quality of life which is already compromised for you and will only worsen over time.

Deep squats

Too much hip and knee distortions as ull pay later in life . 90 degrees max and the wear tear is virtually none.. pro

Depends on where the osteophytes are and what sort of other damage is already done

Whether you compete or not, lifting weights is a life style for all of us. To me, the recovery time would be irrelevant...it has more to do with your quality of life which is already compromised for you and will only worsen over time.

Good advice, I needed to hear this, thanks. I have bone spurs in my left shoulder. Sometimes the pain is almost unbearable.

I think this is a question you're going to have to ask your arthroscopic surgeon.

Although mine aren't in my hips, I had two reconstructive shoulder surgeries that results in tons of bone spurs in my shoulders. Both times I went to get DYE injection MRI's their explanation to me was as simple as, "I'm not sure....some people we cut a spur off and they get 15 degrees more range of motion....others get 90 degrees. Very individual."

I made the decision to NOT get cut on based on those comments. I don't want stop lifting, atrophy and rehab just to find out it's basically the same range of motion.

I also think you can be a pretty competitive BBer WITHOUT squats....that's assuming you have a decent amount of size and years of training under your belt.

I don't have bone spurs but I did break off my femoral head in 2000 and then needed two surgeries to fix it, the second one involved a bone graft because I got AVN(avascular necrosis) which is basically when the blood stops flowing to your hip.

After the second surgery I seemed to have just a little pain and pain killers helped until I walked again, it took 18 months to walk without crutches or a cane. Three years after learning to walk I began training again but very slow and started out with the bar and each workout I would add 5-10 pounds to the bar.

Soon my squat got back over 300+ and before the accident it was 400+ but I began to have pains again around my hip, they checked and told me it looks fine and is non-surgical but I had chronic pain and it was ruining my life...doctors started me on Oxycodone and it was 8 years of hell and I stopped training.

Last year I got off the painkillers, took back my life and I am squatting again with minimal pain but if their is anything I *learned* from all this I would have to say I wish I didn't start the painkillers, it only seemed to intensify the pain and cause me to take more and more.

I also think I am better of these days squatting less with higher reps, I'm late 40's and I've done my time and can't afford my hip snapping off again this late in life.

I hope it all works out for you.

**I still have two long pins/screws going through my femur into my femoral head but I can still comfortably squat.

Attachments

• hip_2.jpg
    hip_2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 71

dont have an opinion for the exact question, all I want to advice is when it comes to hip, please be very careful with selecting the right surgeon.

Make sure you get some advice from some one who has atleast 10 years or more of expereience as an attending orthopedic who specialize in hip. Just like a general practitioner, a general ortho specializes broadly but hip is a very complicated joint and the cause of the pain could be many different things, and some of the imaging abnormality could simply be incidental.

"measure twice cut once"

Last edited:

You're right! My hips throb just sitting down in a chair. I just wasnt sure about either doing physical therapy or opting for surgery. I have heard higher levels of igf can cause bone spurs to grow back.

I do have an mri next week to see if theres been any cartilage damage!

I think this is a question you're going to have to ask your arthroscopic surgeon.

Although mine aren't in my hips, I had two reconstructive shoulder surgeries that results in tons of bone spurs in my shoulders. Both times I went to get DYE injection MRI's their explanation to me was as simple as, "I'm not sure....some people we cut a spur off and they get 15 degrees more range of motion....others get 90 degrees. Very individual."

I made the decision to NOT get cut on based on those comments. I don't want stop lifting, atrophy and rehab just to find out it's basically the same range of motion.

I also think you can be a pretty competitive BBer WITHOUT squats....that's assuming you have a decent amount of size and years of training under your belt.

He did mention my range would get better, but he was uncertain to what degree it would improve. How long is the rehab? From my googling it seemed about 2 months total.

Unfortunately, I don't have years of training under my belt. About 5 years only of training. I'm a tall bastard & squats seemed to be one of the lifts that really helped my legs grow. I am unable to do deadlifts without any hip pain either. I do not think I can build a pro quality physique without those two lifts.

@ ripper99 - so far I have stayed away from painkillers. I do want to take them, just to get some sort of relief, but my wife would kill me lol. She gives me a lot of freedom steroid wise, but she does draw the line with using painkillers on a consistent basis.

dont have an opinion for the exact question, all I want to advice is when it comes to hip, please be very careful with selecting the right surgeon.

Make sure you get some advice from some one who has atleast 10 years or more of expereience as an attending orthopedic who specialize in hip. Just like a general practitioner, a general ortho specializes broadly but hip is a very complicated joint and the cause of the pain could be many different things, and some of the imaging abnormality could simply be incidental.

"measure twice cut once"

awesome advice, thank you! I will be looking around at different doctors to make sure I select the best. The ortho who looked at me the other day, is well known in the community and does surgery for most of the athletes around my area. However, I do not know what he specializes in. I will look into that, thank you!

I would have it done. Your quality of life could diminish over time if you don't. Be sure you do your homework and use a solid M.D. to do your surgery. I would guess 6-8 weeks for a recovery time,,,but that's just a guess. Often in this day and age they have you back on your feet before you know it.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisaac062224
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws