over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Breaking down the Magnesium salts..

Knight9

Featured Member / Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Magnesium is a super-important health supplement that many overlook because they don't understand how important it is to heart health. I have been quite confused over the past several years at times concerning which magnesium to use. I have personally been using Aspartate the last year or so due to True Nutrition using that in their ZMA formula. Another one that I have heard a lot about is Cardiomag 2.0 (OROTATE). Here is a breakdown I found very helpful.

Understanding Different Types of Magnesium | Dr Nibber

Magnesium is one of those supplements that is very well known for its benefits throughout the natural health community. Magnesium is involved in over 300 biochemical processes in the body. One of its most important functions is that it plays a key role is producing energy, this Element makes it vitality important for all cellular functions and processes. It helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function, keeps heart rhythm regular, supports a healthy immune system, and keeps bones strong. Its wide range of health benefits and biological activity make it effective in addressing a number of common diseases and conditions including fibromyalgia, chronic pain, diabetes, osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease and headaches. Numerous studies have demonstrated that magnesium supplementation and correction of deficiency has improved the aforementioned conditions. The problem with this essential mineral is that most people do not have sufficient levels for optimal health. A gradual depletion of nutrients from our soils has left many vegetables with lower levels of magnesium. Another factor that contributes to magnesium deficiency is that it often is depleted by various common conditions (i.e. IBS, Crohn’s disease) and medications (i.e. proton pump inhibitors, diuretics).
For a more complete discussion please see the article The Many Faces of Magnesium in the Heart Health issue of Advances.

As a supplement, magnesium is most commonly found in small amounts in multivitamins and in certain over the counter laxatives. Minerals such as magnesium or calcium are combined with another molecule to stabilize the compound. Each combination, referred to as a chelate, (such as magnesium citrate) has different absorption, bioavailability and therapeutic value. These additional molecules can really impact the medicinal value of the magnesium and some even have beneficial effects in their own right. The most common forms and their benefits are listed below.

Magnesium oxide: Often used in milk of magnesia products since this form has a strong laxative effect. Even though this combination contains a large proportion of magnesium compared to the oxide molecule, it has poor bioavailability and readily causes loose stools; therefore it is considered the least optimal form to use as a supplement.

Magnesium sulfate: This form is often used as an intravenous preparation but it is not used in oral formulations. Since it does have some absorbability through the skin, it is also found in Epsom bath salts.

Magnesium citrate: A commonly used form that has a good bioavailability compared to oxide. It is also very rapidly absorbed in the digestive tract but it does have a stool loosening effect.1 This form is found in many supplements and remains a solid option for delivering magnesium into the body.

Magnesium Aspartate: This form has increased bioavailability compared to oxide and citrate. There were some promising clinical trials conducted in the 1960s that found a combination of magnesium and potassium aspartates had a positive effect on fatigue and they reduced muscle hyper-excitability.2 Physiologically this makes sense since both magnesium and aspartic acid are critical players in cellular energy production. This form is not commonly found but has been used for chronic fatigue syndrome.

Magnesium Glycinate: Glycine is a well-known calming amino acid. This combination has good bioavailability and does not have a laxative effect since glycine is actively transported through the intestinal wall. Due to the calming and relaxing effect of both glycine and magnesium, this combination has been used successfully for chronic pain and muscle hyper tonicity.3

Magnesium Malate: This less well-known combination has been studied for use in fibromyalgia. Since malate is a substrate in the cellular energy cycle, it can help improve ATP production; there is some preliminary evidence that it may reduce muscle pain and tender points in fibromyalgia patients.4

Magnesium Orotate: This is another relatively unknown chelate combination containing orotic acid. This form has good bioavailability has had been studied specifically for heart health. Orotates can penetrate cell membranes, enabling the effective delivery of the magnesium ion to the innermost layers of the cellular mitochondria and nucleus. Orotates themselves increase the formation of RNA and DNA which can help heart cells repair and therefore improve function. The combination has been shown to improve heart failure, symptoms of angina and exercise performance in clinical trials.5,6

Magnesium Taurate: Both magnesium and the amino acid taurine share the ability to improve cardiac function; each has a potentiating effect on insulin sensitivity and also a calming effect on neuromuscular excitability. The actions of both have striking similarities when it comes to cardiovascular health. They both have blood pressure reducing effects, stabilize nerve cells, improve the contraction of the heart muscle and have an anti-thrombotic effect.7 Additionally, low levels of vitamin B6 have been shown to further deplete both magnesium and taurine.

Magnesium-L-Threonate: This form of magnesium has recently been studied to improve memory and brain function. One preliminary study in animals found that it significantly enhanced both short-term and long-term memory, boosting scores by 15% for short-term memory and 54% for long-term memory compared to magnesium citrate.8 Based on this study, it appears that magnesium-L-threonate is a highly absorbable form of magnesium that can improve brain function. While this research is promising, more is needed to confirm its benefit.

Magnesium Pidolate (or picolinate): This form of magnesium has generated interest because it is very inexpensive and can easily be made into a liquid supplement. There really have not been any substantial research trials supporting its specific health benefits. The down side of this form is that the pidolate molecule does not have any additional health benefits.

Due to its broad ranging beneficial effects, magnesium has really emerged as a quintessential health supplement with an excellent safety profile. Various forms of magnesium can be employed for specific health concerns and to increase bioavailability. Consider the research evidence and activity of each form to choose one that is most appropriate for you.

References
1) Coudray C, Rambeau M, Feillet-Coudray C, Gueux E, Tressol JC, Mazur A, Rayssiguier Y: Study of magnesium bioavailability from ten organic and inorganic Mg salts in Mg- depleted rats using a stable isotope approach. Magnes Res 2005;18:215–223.
2) Nagle FJ, Balke B, Ganslen RV, Davis AW. The mitigation of physical fatigue with “Spartase”. FAA Office of Aviation Medicine Reports. Rep Civ Aeromed Res Inst US. 1963 Jul;26:1-10.
3) Lamontagne C, Sewell JA, Vaillancourt R, Kuhzarani C, (2012) Rapid Resolution of Chronic Back Pain with Magnesium Glycinate in a Pediatric Patient. J Pain Relief 1:101
4) Abraham GE, Flechas JD. Management of Fibromyalgia: Rationale for the Use of Magnesium and Malic Acid. Journal of Nutritional Medicine (1992) 3, 49-59.
5) Stepura OB, Tomaeva FE, Zvereva TV. Orotic acid as a metabolic agent. Vestn Ross Akad Med Nauk. 2002; (2): 39-41.
6) Geiss KR, Stergiou N, Jester, Neuenfeld HU, Jester HG. Effects of magnesium orotate on exercise tolerance in patients with coronary heart disease. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 1998 Sep; 12 Suppl 2:153-6.
7) McCarty MF. Complementary Vascular-Protective Actions of Magnesium and Taurine: A Rationale for Magnesium Taurate. Medical Hypotheses (1996) 46. 89-100
8) Slutsky I, Abumaria N, Wu LJ, et al. Enhancement of learning and memory by elevating brain magnesium. Neuron. 2010 Jan 28;65(2):165-77

Good post Knight

I've been taking the glycinate version because I like taking magnesium before bed and the glycine helps with my sleep and memory formation (supposedly).

Orotate interested me for obvious reasons and also the threonate version because of the neuronal effects the studies showed.

Although... I am a little skeptical about the more expensive threonate version because I believe the glycinate version gets an adequate amount of magnesium through my blood brain barrier (I notice a difference when I take and don't take it).

Actually, I need to check if the citrate amount they used was equivalent to the threonate amount in the study.

Swansons Magnesium L-Threonate is 48 mg Magnesium per capsule and they recommend 3 a day = 144 mg. At $27.99 that is pretty expensive.

I'd rather just take double that magnesium amount in a glycinate form (Even citrate form) for 1/3rd of the price and compensate for any brain barrier absorption advantage the threonate version may have had.

Since there aren't many studies done, I just have to rely on assumptions and a bit of educated guessing here..

Quite honestly I am wondering if I am using the most optimal magnesium. Aspartate is great, but I am contemplating glycinate and orotate. I wonder why orotate was selected/chosen to be researched so much medically.

What about Magnesium Chloride?

Among many tribes all around the world, it's said to be a cure it all. Nigari - name given by the Japanese - is its natural form... a miracle for the immune system according to their beliefs.

Last edited:
Isn't the main issue with oral magnesium administration the absorption ? I thought the amount you need to take for the benefits will give your the runs pretty bad ?

Ive always skipped the oral route and usually do a few Epson salt bath a week. I do agree though that Magnesium has a myriad of benefits.

Many of you have seen my suggestions and conversations about health supplementation on this board. I have consulted with some of the best minds on this forum and several doctors in this lifestyle in real life and have gained an absolute TON of knowledge and viewpoints with great reasoning. I never thought about Magnesium til a couple years ago. These days my list looks something like...

D3
EPA/DHA
Ubiquinol
Curcumin
Vitamin K2
Tocotrienols
Astaxanthin
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Magnesium

You read this as a "top 9" but to me they all are essential in our lifestyle. There's a handful more but I just wanted to illustrate magnesium really is one of the heavy hitters that you should use for heart health.

Isn't the main issue with oral magnesium administration the absorption ? I thought the amount you need to take for the benefits will give your the runs pretty bad ?

Ive always skipped the oral route and usually do a few Epson salt bath a week. I do agree though that Magnesium has a myriad of benefits.

Citrate and Oxide both mention stool loosening effects....
And many companies use/used magnesium citrate in their pre workouts and other supplements hence leading to names like "super dump" etc.

Most magnesium I have seen in supplemental form calls for 450mg a day for men. I believe that changes with things like orotate and I am unsure regarding glycinate.

This is a good thread discussing the different forms of magnesium. Does anyone have any input or experience on the better absorbed forms requiring a lower dose? Like Knight said above, 450 mg always seems to be the recommendation and I think ZMA might have influenced that. With these newer forms that can get expensive fast as the tablets or capsules have 200 mg or less in each.

Ive been taking Magnesium Oxide,https://www.costco.com/nature-made-...-400-mg.,-180-softgels.product.100494097.html

I don't have any loose stool problem and everything seems ok with me so far. Been taking that now for about 10 years. The softgels are 400 mg and I see that it is 95% of the RDA. I see I could buy the Citrate at Costco, https://www.costco.com/nature-made-magnesium-citrate-250-mg.,-180-softgels.product.100416097.html. Maybe I should think about it, but right now there doesn't seem to be" anything broke so why try to fix it?" Those are more expensive and only provide 60% of the RDA. I wonder how much better it absorbs? I bet taking the 400 mg of oxide form more than makes up for the absorption being lower. Ive had no side effects from that form either.

Been taking KAL brand Magnesium Glycinate for about 2 years....4-800mg/night. They are big pills.

Many of you have seen my suggestions and conversations about health supplementation on this board. I have consulted with some of the best minds on this forum and several doctors in this lifestyle in real life and have gained an absolute TON of knowledge and viewpoints with great reasoning. I never thought about Magnesium til a couple years ago. These days my list looks something like...

D3
EPA/DHA
Ubiquinol
Curcumin
Vitamin K2
Tocotrienols
Astaxanthin
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Magnesium

You read this as a "top 9" but to me they all are essential in our lifestyle. There's a handful more but I just wanted to illustrate magnesium really is one of the heavy hitters that you should use for heart health.

Good list. I take the exact same as you as more core. I do add ALCAR with my ALA. Astaxanthin is legit...not saying I feel anything. I have using MAG for years....Recently ZMA, with Mag Malate or Mag Glycinate. There's a bunch of others I use too. Forgot to mention, PQQ too.

taurate has been my traditional favorite, i used orate for over a year.
i prob wouldnt buy it again and will go back to taurate or glycinate might be interesting.
pre wo aspect of taurate i like

good idea on thread thread bump fellas, this should be a staple supp for all along with d3, b complex, aquality multi or beef organ complex, taurine, probiotic blend, fermented food etc

I use magnesium bisglycinate but there are a few superior forms of magnesium that are very effective. I should mention you can get the powder cheaper than the caps but the caps might be best for most because it tastes horrible :D

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear