over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Breathing at night

graybass

Registered
Hey guys, like to get a couple of opinions or your experiences.
Almost every night I wake up gasping for air. I have long history of family heart disease. Had bi pass surgery 15 years ago. Never had trouble breathing back then. I don't smoke, on HRT 250 mg test e EW. (I'm on pause for that) I'm older, over 60 but, been working out hardcore my whole life. Had to take a break because of ruptured Quad tendon 7 weeks ago. So my cardiologist said I was exhibiting signs of congestive hear failure. Holding a lot of fluid in my torso. Always had a thick barrel chest body. So put me on a ton of Lasix. Did Nuclear test decided one of my old bi passes was clogging again, so put in stent. I was told by the team of docs that all my other arteries look great. Felt good for a while but now trouble sleeping and breathing at night is back. Can't do cardio yet but soon. People keep saying classic COPD. I never smoked, lifting and cardio for 40 years. I'm going back to see cardiologist Monday.
Couple other details. I'm coughing up some flehm that is very white and thick. Not getting good sleep is killing me!
Also don't know how good it is to be on 80mg of Lasix daily either.
Thanks for reading this,
Old time brother in iron.
GB

The COPD that I know of, is an all-day issue, all the time, just not when sleeping.
The fluid thing "may" be coming into play while lying down/sleeping (just a guess) causing some shortness of breath.
Try propping yourself up a bit when sleeping to see if it helps? Phlegm may also have something to do with the fluid (again, just a guess).

I prop myself up a bit and use CPAP, it helped my horrible sleep issues 100%. I wish you nothing but the best, keep us posted...

Sounds like sleep apnea, which isn't good if you have heart issues. Do a sleep study and see what they say.

Do you also have seasonal allergies? Sinuses could be draining at night when you're laying down causing the phlegm.

The COPD that I know of, is an all-day issue, all the time, just not when sleeping.
The fluid thing "may" be coming into play while lying down/sleeping (just a guess) causing some shortness of breath.
Try propping yourself up a bit when sleeping to see if it helps? Phlegm may also have something to do with the fluid (again, just a guess).

I prop myself up a bit and use CPAP, it helped my horrible sleep issues 100%. I wish you nothing but the best, keep us posted...
Probably going to have get sleep study done. I just don't see myself sleeping with the CPAP on.

Sounds like sleep apnea, which isn't good if you have heart issues. Do a sleep study and see what they say.

Do you also have seasonal allergies? Sinuses could be draining at night when you're laying down causing the phlegm.
Thanks BIO, No allergies though.

Not to downplay your other symptoms but the gasping for air is a red flag for sleep apnea. I hear it all the time that people have CPAP machines but don't like using them. WTF? If a person isn't breathing or waking up gasping for air then these machines will literally save your life. I'd start with a sleep study.

Seeing my primary Monday. I'll ask about sleep study. Hope my insurance covers.

Seeing my primary Monday. I'll ask about sleep study. Hope my insurance covers.
I agree with the above opinions that you may need a CPAP Machine. Not a doctor so this is just a guess but a know a few guys who use them and it’s really not a big deal. Good luck.

Probably going to have get sleep study done. I just don't see myself sleeping with the CPAP on.
Famous foot ball player died from sleep apnea because be didn't use it please use it brother

1000% sleep apnea.

Not good for your heart at all and is a dangerous thing. VERY common in lifters too.
Easy fix though, you'll get used to the max, I guarantee. AND you'll sleep like a baby.

If you indeed have congestive heart failure, having problems breathing lying down is a common problem. Like another member said, prop yourself up some. The Lasix should help. Just be sure your BP doesn't drop too low. That'll make you dizzy.

I have heart failure, but no congestive. As of yet. Didn't they tell you what your ejection fraction is? They did a nuclear test and that gives a figure just like an echo does. It's called a MUGA scan.

If you have heart failure, then it's down low like mine. Mine is now below 20%. If it's below 35% then you're at a high risk of going into cardiac arrest, especially if you're exercising hard. They would have had that discussion with you though if your heart was in bad shape.

The wisp nasal mask imo is about as comfortable as you can get with the CPAP on.
Was it a LIMA/LAD graft that needed stenting? How many vessels was your CABG? What is your EF now?

Sleep study, period. Ask no more questions here and seek professional advice. Don't go buying a cpap thinking it's going to help. You don't know what pressure you need until a study is done. Talk to a doctor, no a bodybuilding forum. No offense to the guys but this could potentially be a serious matter in which we can't help you. Sleep study.

I had a sleep study done once and it was inconclusive because I couldnt really sleep in their strange bed with all of the various wires etc connected to me. I just tossed and turned most of the night and really didnt sleep. I was destroyed the next day. Wish I could have slept.

Famous foot ball player died from sleep apnea because be didn't use it please use it brother

i’m not trying to be cute here but how does somebody die from sleep apnea? When you can’t breathe / stop breathing —wouldn’t that wake you up that’s causing you to breathe? Just curious. Scary crap.

Probably caused him to stroke out. More than likely already had underlying issues.

i’m not trying to be cute here but how does somebody die from sleep apnea? When you can’t breathe / stop breathing —wouldn’t that wake you up that’s causing you to breathe? Just curious. Scary crap.
It can lead to heart failure and stroke. You die from it indirectly

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bradyfan127