over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Breathing during reps??

Comegetsome

Registered
I seem to have an issue holding my breath for a few reps, maybe 3-4 then I'll pause and take a breath or two and continue.... is this hurting my strength or endurance? Also does anyone know how to get out of this bad habit?

Yes. You need to inhale on the negative portion of the rep and exhale with some force on the positive portion of the rep. This will allow you to perform at least a couple more reps. More reps = more strength.

Your breathing should be your rep-speed.

Just like the Bull said...

I hold my breath on the push, take a breath or two on the lock out, then inhale and hold right before the push.

Works well for me, right or wrong.

Thanx guys . I may try to follow the bull. I seem to burn out quick.. maybe that will change a bit . Thanx again.

I also find if you focus on your breathing you take your mind away from the pain. Might only be for a rep or two but it works well

Another thing to keep in mind is that during heavy lifts like squats if you hold your breath while you push up and lift the weight youre going to greatly increase the intra abdominal pressure and this will increase your chances of getting a hernia, especially if you don't wear a good belt.

Yes. You need to inhale on the negative portion of the rep and exhale with some force on the positive portion of the rep. This will allow you to perform at least a couple more reps. More reps = more strength.

This is a good rule to follow. Holding your breath skyrockets your blood pressure.

I struggle with proper breathing while lifting. When I concentrate on it and breath as The Bull suggested, I perform much better. It's hard for me to concentrate on it though.

I do the exact opposite. Power lifters are taught to hold their breath and use the valsava so support their spine. It makes a huge difference.

Last edited:
One way I found to get out of the habbit is to make noise IE scream or something on the way up. If you do that you are forced to breath at the top. Just an fyi.....

your muscles need oxygen to produce energy so holding your breath for several reps is not a good thing to be doing. Try using a lower weight if your having a problem breathing during each rep in the manner The Bull described. With proper breathing you should be able to do more reps and probably even more weight.

I struggle with proper breathing while lifting. When I concentrate on it and breath as The Bull suggested, I perform much better. It's hard for me to concentrate on it though.

I also have trouble remembering to breathe properly while lifting. Seems like I get lost more in lifting properly and using good form:(

breathing is for pussies

Breath at the top.

Do you breath when you have sex? We all do...lol

Just for the record, I was kidding, obviously breathing is super important. Even if you perform the valsalva maneuver for a moment during the rep, you need to breath for most of it. On things like chest and back, forcefully exhaling during the positive (even slightly before the positive, contracts the abdominald which in turn stabilizes the ribcage, which is very important to shoulder health.

Thanx for all the great info! I'm going to lower my weight a little bit just like when I was trying g to get good form. I started making noise about half way through the rep and that forces me to breath.. but when there is only 225 on flat bench it kinda looks funny.. Lol.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws