advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bringing up a lagging bodypart after nerve entrapment?

tkav1980

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I went to a doctor and my nerve issue is resolved. However my right arm and shoulder is still smaller/weaker than my left.

I'm training each bodypart twice a week with low volume and high intensity. Im at 5 straight sets per bodypart with one day between chest/back and shoulders/arms. would there be any benefit to doing any light shoulder/bicep training on my right side only after chest/back? I'm thinking very light just for a bit of a pump to get some blood into that muscle.

I'm sure it will just even itself out in time but I'd rather speed up the process if possible.

Or would it be better to just add a widowmaker 20 rep set to that side on shoulder/arm days?

i had the same problem with RH pec, tri and lat. i herniated a couple discs in my c5,c6,c7 and pinched a nerve, damn near lost all strength in that side in october/november 2011 and it's just now almost as strong as the left side 6 months later. i just trained normally but with much lighter weight and higher reps for months and now am just starting to lower reps with more weight.

has your range of motion changed on that side? i couldn't push a full rep for months with any kind of weight

I went through the same thing with nerve impingement in my neck last year. This resulted in loss in size and weakness in my left shoulder and arm when the nerve roots were damaged.

After this problem was corrected, the doctor told me that peripheral nerves DO regenerate after being damaged, but its a slow process. Nerves regenerate at about 1 mm per day as a rule. After a year +, I have regained my size and most of my strength. It was a very slow and steady progress though. No big sudden rebounds. You will get there but be patient. And keep providing the stimulus through your workouts for the nerve to regenerate. The key is getting those nerves reconnect to get to where you want to be.

L-carnitine has been shown to be beneficial for nerve regeneration in studies. Good IGF levels is huge too

I did quite a bit of unilateral work with dumbells and cables. If I could only get 7 reps on my right arm, then I stopped at 7 on my left. IMO, best not to perpetuate the imbalance. Given enough time and persistence, you will not be able to tell the difference.
I had approx a 70% loss of strength and 30% loss of girth in my right arm within 6 weeks. No difference now.

I did quite a bit of unilateral work with dumbells and cables. If I could only get 7 reps on my right arm, then I stopped at 7 on my left. IMO, best not to perpetuate the imbalance. Given enough time and persistence, you will not be able to tell the difference.
I had approx a 70% loss of strength and 30% loss of girth in my right arm within 6 weeks. No difference now.

Forgot to mention that this a great point to remember in the workouts. They had me working those muscles unilaterally as well. Make those weaker muscles work without support from the stronger side.

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator
  • Bio
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar