Votes: 64 56.6%
  • Training them LESS often brought them up

Votes: 17 15.0%
  • Hitting them at different angles/new exercises brought them up

Votes: 26 23.0%
  • None, i'm screwed. (explain)

Votes: 6 5.3%

• Total voters
I STRONGLY disagree. You can utilize greater weight but at the cost of significantly less direct muscle activation.

I wouldn't expect someone from Jersey where most believe the bench press is the only compound lift to understand :D

I saw more arm size from the 5x5 routine and that's for strength and revolves around the major 3 lifts ( Google squats and deadlifts) than I have from preacher curls and kick backs.

Just to agree with ya that was after I have been lifting only a couple years....a few years later I'm into less weight and slow megs, etc. So assuming whoever asked about getting bigger arms is still fairly new to this, I 100% believe heavy pulling compounds will get him there sooner.

My biceps always grow when i include pull ups in my workout....doing reverse grip really fries them....you are contracting the bicep both at the origin and insertion.

Isnt reverse grip pull-ups the awkward way of saying chin-ups? Similar movement, more bicep influence, ja? For me, another movement i love is the upright row. There are several muscles putting in work, and i love how i can mentally focus on the involvement of a certain muscle, be it bicep, posterior delt, or upper trap. I think that mental focus on a specific muscle can influence an entire compound movement.

Isnt reverse grip pull-ups the awkward way of saying chin-ups? Similar movement, more bicep influence, ja? For me, another movement i love is the upright row. There are several muscles putting in work, and i love how i can mentally focus on the involvement of a certain muscle, be it bicep, posterior delt, or upper trap. I think that mental focus on a specific muscle can influence an entire compound movement.

according to Webster dictionary:

Verb 1. chin up - raise oneself while hanging from one's hands until one's chin is level with the support bar

also according to webster chin-up is same thing as chin-up.

Doesn't mention supination or pronation.

Last edited:
started hitting calves 2-3 times a week and they blew up! Even putting calves first on leg day drastically helped and didn't hinder the rest of my leg exercises. Started doing chest 2x week and same thing, noticed improvement. With chest i did first workout to hit upper pecs and second to hit lower. Then played around with just hitting upper 2x a week and still had success. I will say, I think it helps to vary the exercises from workout to workout within a given week. Worked for me. Hope this helps.

In my experience, if you boost the frequency and the training volume between 3-6 weeks and then deload you get better gains on that body part. I think that this is called overreaching.

started hitting calves 2-3 times a week and they blew up! Even putting calves first on leg day drastically helped and didn't hinder the rest of my leg exercises. Started doing chest 2x week and same thing, noticed improvement. With chest i did first workout to hit upper pecs and second to hit lower. Then played around with just hitting upper 2x a week and still had success. I will say, I think it helps to vary the exercises from workout to workout within a given week. Worked for me. Hope this helps.

Are both chest workouts heavy or one heavy and one lighter??

Arms and calves

Train more often with more angles and less weight. Find the form that works for your body and hit em in all angles. My arms grow alot this year form training them with lightish weight n focusing on negatives slow controlled contractions . I also incorporate static holds.

. I really broke down my arm training and focused my arms grew siginfcantly. I over emphasize every head of the tricep. Seperate inner and outer head and inner head bicep of bicep.

For calves i tested this this year too. I just did calves with mind muscle connection in every postion/angle possible up to 5 times a week more than once a day on those days too with moderate light weight. Pretty much every time i thought about my calves i did them and they grew.

Joints seem to get a worn out from all the volume so be careful. But works for me.

Are both chest workouts heavy or one heavy and one lighter??
Depends. Sometimes both heavy, sometimes one heavy one light. I just listen to my body. You can't go wrong either way imho.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

DC training is totally opposite.

Less frequency and less volume.

But intensity is high.

For me, low volume per workout, but more frequency throughout the week. This is what I must do for my arms to even grow a little. Different body parts are different for me though. For instance I must go heavy on chest for it to grow, same for legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone is giving different options on what they do to help grow their lagging muscle groups, yet all it comes down to is what works for you. It is different for absolutely everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U have to figure what works for u. For example, i read mountain dog workouts are high volume, where else DC are low volume, low frequency. Totally opposite.

I like to switch things up every 4-5 weeks.

I think everyone agree somewhat with what Dante is saying.

But frequency also has been huge for me personally.

From 15-20 sets on an arm day can somewhat work...for awhile.
But the minute i break the volume into high frequency training, i see great results.

This past year i saw great gains in my biceps and back width...something I've tried for the past 5 years. I'd do 30 sets on back and bi days and felt nothing was changing.

But just adding 5 sets to everyday in the gym, basically keeping the same volume but higher frequency, DRASTICALLY changed.

I think everyone agree somewhat with what Dante is saying.

But frequency also has been huge for me personally.

From 15-20 sets on an arm day can somewhat work...for awhile.
But the minute i break the volume into high frequency training, i see great results.

This past year i saw great gains in my biceps and back width...something I've tried for the past 5 years. I'd do 30 sets on back and bi days and felt nothing was changing.

But just adding 5 sets to everyday in the gym, basically keeping the same volume but higher frequency, DRASTICALLY changed.

Biceps and back every day? 5 sets of each? How may reps? Do you change the exercises daily? Do you go heavy or light?

How long did it take for you to see progress with that protocol?

It depends. And you really have to figure out what works for you. Whenever I want something to grow more I hit it 2x week but at different angles/exercises and give ample time for recovery between sessions.

Biceps I had to train LESS for them to grow, but I really have to focus on the contraction and the negative in each set.

Calves I had to train more for them to grow. I wasn't doing enough sets to really beat the crap out of them to stimulate growth...they seem to have much higher endurance than other muscle groups.

Time under tension has given me the best results I've ever seen. 3-4 second negative on most exercises with a full contraction, trying to establish a mind-muscle connection in EVERY REP to make EVERY REP count. That works me harder than anything and gives me the best results!

But like I said, everyones different, and what works for me today might not work for me in a year.

I think you also need to check if the muscle is lagging due to a structural imbalance and or nerve issue. For example someone who has forward head posture may have poor arm size due to Cervical Radiculopathy taking place along C4,C5 and C6. No modifications in volume, loading, or even angles will get the muscle to fire well...if you correct the alignment of the cervical spine though, then suddenly they can feel the muscle and it responds to training like everything else.

Didn't the golden eagle himself say he trained legs very infrequently? Like every 2 or three weeks? And I seem to see a lot of pros say they hit everything 1x a week training only every other day. But a lot of people see improvement with more frequency. I started hitting chest 3x a week and have seen great improvement. I also agree with Dante on "tweaking" things or doing different exercises. For instance I attribute most of the improvement I have seen on my biceps recently to one new exercise that I started doing. I have also seen some calf growth not from doing anything too unique but from hitting them approximately EOD.
Im wondering too if you increase the frequency and then you stall, if you could go back to 1x a week and get a good heavy session in if you would again see improvement.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfdh2XzEPZE"]The Science and Strength of Scott Stevenson (Part 3) "Training Frequency" - elitefts.com - YouTube[/ame]

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear