over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bromelain. Protein digesting enzyme

devenidas

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Hi All

Just wondered to check who uses Bromelain as a standalone supplement here and find it helps with protein digestion and inflammation in the body ? I am not talking about taking Bromelain as part of a standard digestive enzyme supplement which most people do. I have taken many diff brands and types of digestive enzymes over the enzymes. I am interested to try Bromelain on its own in decent dosages not the small amount you get in various multi digestive aids and see what it does. Wanting to gather some feedback. Many thanks in advance. cheers

Bromelain is a general name for a family of enzymes extracted from the pineapple plant (ananas cosmosus). The enzymes are found throughout the pineapple. For commercial production however, it is extracted from the stem of the pineapple plant where most of the bromelain is concentrated.

Bromelain consists mostly of proteolytic enzymes which digest protein. When Bromelain is taken with a meal, it helps with digestion. When taken on an empty stomach, it enters the blood and has beneficial anti-inflammatory activity in the body. Research indicates that Bromelain's anti-inflammatory activity is due not only to its proteolytic enzymes but also to various other constituents in the pineapple.

Bromelain's anti-inflammatory activity appears to occur in a variety of ways. It is believed that bromelain inhibits the formation of thromboxanes, substances that cause joint soreness and stiffness. Bromelain's ability to help control run-away inflammation in the body has broad health benefits.

The strength or activity level of bromelain is usually measured in GDU (gelatin digesting units) per gram. Gelatin is protein. GDU per gram is a measure of how much protein a gram of bromelain can digest.

In order to understand the label of a product containing bromelain, you need to look at the GDU content per serving. It doesn't matter what the GDU per gram is. The only thing that matters is how much GDU you get in a serving of the product.

For example, if the bromelain in the product is 2,000 GDU per gram, and there is 100 mg (1/0th of a gram) of bromelain in a serving, then the amount of GDU you get per serving is calculated as 2,000 x 1/10th = 200 GDU per serving. This is important to understand because many products contain small amounts of 2,000 GDU or 2,400 GDU bromelain and you might think you are getting a lot but you actually get very little GDU per serving. Responsible manufactures should include the GDU per serving on the label. Otherwise you should calculate it as shown here.

For anti-inflammatory purposes, it is best to take bromelain on an empty stomach so it doesn't get used up digesting protein from food you ate. However, if the GDU per serving is high enough, it won't all get used in digestion and there will still be some left over to get absorbed into the blood.

References

Brien, S., Lewith, G, Walker, A, Hicks, SM, Middleton, D. Bromelain as a Treatment
for Osteoarthritis: a Review of Clinical Studies, Evid Based Complement Alternat Med.
2004 December; 1(3): 251–257.

Cooreman WM, Scharpe S, Demeester J, Lauwers A. Bromelain, biochemical and
pharmacological properties. Pharm Acta Helv. 1976;51:73–97. [PubMed]

Maurer HR. Bromelain: biochemistry, pharmacology and medical use.
Cell Mol Life Sci. 2001;58:1234–1245. [PubMed]

Taussig SJ, Batkin S. Bromelain, the enzyme complex of Pineapple (Ananas comusus)
and its clinical application. An update. J Ethnopharmacol. 1988;22:191–230. [PubMed]

Pirotta F, de Giuli-Morghen C. Bromelain: anti-inflammatory and serum fibronolytic activity
after oral administration in the rat. Drugs Exp Clin Res. 1978;4:1–20.

Pirotta, F. Bromelain: A Deeper Pharmacologic Study. Exp. Clin. Res., vol. 4, 1978, pp. 1-20

Kumakura S, Yamashita M, Tsurufuji S. Effect of Bromelain or kaolin-induced inflammation
in rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 1988;150:295–301. [PubMed]

Mojcik C, Shevach E. Adhesion molecules: a rheumatologic perspective. Arthritis Rheum.
1997;40:991–1004. [PubMed]

Leipner J, Iten F, Saller R. Therapy with proteolytic enzymes in rheumatic disorders.
Biodrugs. 2001;15:779–789. [PubMed]

Klein G, Kullich W. Short-term treatment of painful osteoarthritis of the knee with oral
enzymes: a randomised, double-blind study versus Diclofenac. Clin Drug Invest. 2000;19:15–23.

Singer F, Singer C, Oberleitner H. Phlyoenzym versus diclofenac in the treatment of
activated osteoarthritis of the knee. Int J Immunother. 2001;17:135–141.

Tilwe GH, Beria S, Turakhia NH, Daftary GV, Schiess W. Efficacy and tolerability of oral enzyme
therapy as compared to diclofenac in active osteoarthritis of the knee joint: an open randomised
controlled clinical trial. Journal of the Association of Physicians of India. JAPI. 2001;49:621.

Walker AF, Bundy R, Hicks SM, Middleton RW.Bromelain reduces mild acute knee pain
and improves well being in a dose dependant fashion in an open study of otherwise healthy
adults. Phytomedicine. 2002;9:681–686. [PubMed]

Brien, S., Lewith, G., Walker, A.F., et al. 2006.Bromelain as an adjunctive treatment for moderate-
to-severe osteoarthritis of the knee; a randomized placebo-controlled pilot study. QJM. Dec99(12):841-850.

Kamenicek V et al. "[Systemic enzyme therapy in the treatment and prevention of
post-traumatic and postoperative swelling.]" ActaChir Orthop Traumatol Cech. 2001 68 (1):45-9.

Seligman, B. Bromelain: An Anti-inflammatory Agent. Angiology, vol. 13, 1962, pp. 508-510.

© 2009 IntraCell Nutrition Inc

Blonstein, JL, Control of Swelling in Boxing Injuries. The Practitioner, vol. 203, 1969, pp. 206.

I have ordered source naturals brand bromelain which comes in 600 GDU/ Gram , 500 mg , 120 tabs . source naturals and NOW Bromelain gets th highest reviews. I am going to try it with solgar advanced acidophilus plus probiotics to see if it makes a diff in digestive issues bloating etc

Bromelain with Quercetin as well as bromelain as one of the ingredients if I recall in the now super digestive enzymes. Another key ingredient is betain

I've been taking it for anti-inflammatory purposes. Dr. Sinatra (cardiologist) recommends 600mg a day. I've been taking 500mg.

Do you know what the suggested dose is for anti-inflammatory purposes?

I've been taking it for anti-inflammatory purposes. Dr. Sinatra (cardiologist) recommends 600mg a day. I've been taking 500mg.

Do you know what the suggested dose is for anti-inflammatory purposes?

Hey warlock how u doin mate. long time. i don't know about dosages tbh but what i did come across is the timing. It was said if you taking it for digestion then take just before a protein containing meal but if taking for anti - inflammatory effect to take it IN BETWEEN meals. so not with meals.

Bromelain with Quercetin as well as bromelain as one of the ingredients if I recall in the now super digestive enzymes. Another key ingredient is betain

hi mate... the thing with betain is not everybody needs it. If i remember it correctly it regulates the stomach acid levels so lets say if you naturally had enough stomach acid then its not necessary. Betaine helps people with low stomach acid. I believe i did not need it ever really . every brand of digestive aid i have taken with it made my stomach go weird. i also tried betain hcl by twinlab on its own & it did do me no good. so I personally stay away from betaine hcl supps. please correct me if i m wrong on this by all means. cheers

Hey warlock how u doin mate. long time. i don't know about dosages tbh but what i did come across is the timing. It was said if you taking it for digestion then take just before a protein containing meal but if taking for anti - inflammatory effect to take it IN BETWEEN meals. so not with meals.

Doing well my friend. Hope you are too.

I noticed that and that will help. I have been taking mine with a meal, but I will take it on an empty stomach from this point on.

Good info. :)

THIS...

hi mate... the thing with betain is not everybody needs it. If i remember it correctly it regulates the stomach acid levels so lets say if you naturally had enough stomach acid then its not necessary. Betaine helps people with low stomach acid. I believe i did not need it ever really . every brand of digestive aid i have taken with it made my stomach go weird. i also tried betain hcl by twinlab on its own & it did do me no good. so I personally stay away from betaine hcl supps. please correct me if i m wrong on this by all means. cheers

Same here, I can NOT take Betaine HCL, it kills my stomach, Ive got too much acid already ! But Bromelain is great..

Same here, I can NOT take Betaine HCL, it kills my stomach, Ive got too much acid already ! But Bromelain is great..

Thanks for chiming in Thor. Exactly what it did to my stomach. when i took it as part of a multi digestive aid i felt a bit of issue so first i thought may be its the brand or bad batch but then i read about stomach acid levels & how betaine hcl affects it so i tried it in big dose on its own, big mistake but it confirmed to me its betaine hcl causing the problem and that i have more then enough stomach acid. so now i stay away from a product which has this even if its in small amount. i have been off digestive enzymes for a long long time now. i started feeling i did not need them and they did not do anything for me. I rotated them.in my supp regimen.

Now i want to give bromolin a good go with a probiotic . most multi aids have bromolin but not in decent dosages so i am exited to see what it does for me in big dosages and as a standalone digestive aid.

I got the betaine idea from poliquin. I agree not everyone needs it. I did. I gauged it using poliquins protocol.

Ginger extract seem to do a good job of keeping my stomach calm. Especially after larger meals and on refeed days

i eat a lb. of pineapple a day on average.

i would eat more, but i cant take the acid.

but its more bromelain then your ever gonna need.

:cool:

I use a broad spectrum digestive enzyme that contains bromelain, papain, lipase, lactase, and several others

I remember (correct me if im wrong) but Ulter and/or Macrophage over at AFboard used to push the ginger root studies for increasing protein absorption for protein intakes over 50g/meal. Anyone else old enough to remember this stain in internet bbing history? LoL

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws