over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Buckle up. Tales of Steve Michalik. Part 1. long read

strummer

Registered
Newbies
I remember reading this hot off the press from the village voice nyc. vets will know his tales, youngsters buckle up for this guy!!

The Power and the Gory

“The Power and the Gory”

By Paul Solotaroff

Half the world was in mortal terror of him. He had a sixty-inch chest, twenty-three-inch arms, and when the Anadrol and Bolasterone backed up in his bloodstream, his eyes went as red as the laser scope on an Uzi. He threw people through windows, and chased them madly down Hempstead Turnpike when they had the temerity to cut him off. And in the gym he owned in Farmingdale, the notorious Mr. America’s, if he caught you looking at him while he trained, you generally woke up, bleeding, on the pavement outside. Half out of his mind on androgens and horse steroids, he had this idea that being looked at robbed him of energy, energy that he needed to leg-press two thousand pounds. Nonetheless, one day a kid walked up to him between sets and said, “I want to be just like you, Steve Michalik. I want to be Mr. America and Mr. Universe.”

“Yeah?” said Michalik in thick contempt. “How bad do you think you want it?”

“Worse than anything in the world,” said the kid, a scrawny seven-teen-year-old with more balls than biceps. “I can honestly say that I would die for a body like yours.”

“Well, then you probably will,” snorted Michalik. “Meet me down at the beach tomorrow at six A.M. sharp. And if you’re like even half a minute late …”

The kid was there at six A.M. pronto, freezing his ass off in a raggedy hood and sweats. “What do we do first?” he asked.

“Swim,” grunted Michalik, dragging him into the ocean. Twenty yards out, Michalik suddenly seized the kid by his scalp and pushed him under a wave. The kid flailed punily, wriggling like a speared eel. A half minute, maybe forty-five seconds, passed before Michalik let the kid up, sobbing out sea water. He gave the kid a breath, then shoved him down again, holding him under this time until the air bubbles stopped, whereupon he dragged him out by the hood and threw him, gasping, on the beach.

“When you want the title as bad as you wanted that last fucking breath,” sneered Michalik, “then and only then can you come talk to me.”

For himself, Michalik only wanted two things anymore. He wanted to walk on stage at the Beacon Theater on November 15, 1986, professional bodybuilding’s Night of Champions, and just turn the joint out with his 260 pounds of ripped, stripped, and shrink-wrapped muscle. And then, God help him, he wanted to die. Right there, in front of everybody, with all the flashbulbs popping, be wanted to drop dead huge and hard at the age of thirty-nine, and leave a spectacular corpse behind.

I remember reading this hot off the press from the village voice nyc. vets will know his tales, youngsters buckle up for this guy!!

The Power and the Gory

“The Power and the Gory”

By Paul Solotaroff

Half the world was in mortal terror of him. He had a sixty-inch chest, twenty-three-inch arms, and when the Anadrol and Bolasterone backed up in his bloodstream, his eyes went as red as the laser scope on an Uzi. He threw people through windows, and chased them madly down Hempstead Turnpike when they had the temerity to cut him off. And in the gym he owned in Farmingdale, the notorious Mr. America’s, if he caught you looking at him while he trained, you generally woke up, bleeding, on the pavement outside. Half out of his mind on androgens and horse steroids, he had this idea that being looked at robbed him of energy, energy that he needed to leg-press two thousand pounds. Nonetheless, one day a kid walked up to him between sets and said, “I want to be just like you, Steve Michalik. I want to be Mr. America and Mr. Universe.”

“Yeah?” said Michalik in thick contempt. “How bad do you think you want it?”

“Worse than anything in the world,” said the kid, a scrawny seven-teen-year-old with more balls than biceps. “I can honestly say that I would die for a body like yours.”

“Well, then you probably will,” snorted Michalik. “Meet me down at the beach tomorrow at six A.M. sharp. And if you’re like even half a minute late …”

The kid was there at six A.M. pronto, freezing his ass off in a raggedy hood and sweats. “What do we do first?” he asked.

“Swim,” grunted Michalik, dragging him into the ocean. Twenty yards out, Michalik suddenly seized the kid by his scalp and pushed him under a wave. The kid flailed punily, wriggling like a speared eel. A half minute, maybe forty-five seconds, passed before Michalik let the kid up, sobbing out sea water. He gave the kid a breath, then shoved him down again, holding him under this time until the air bubbles stopped, whereupon he dragged him out by the hood and threw him, gasping, on the beach.

“When you want the title as bad as you wanted that last fucking breath,” sneered Michalik, “then and only then can you come talk to me.”

For himself, Michalik only wanted two things anymore. He wanted to walk on stage at the Beacon Theater on November 15, 1986, professional bodybuilding’s Night of Champions, and just turn the joint out with his 260 pounds of ripped, stripped, and shrink-wrapped muscle. And then, God help him, he wanted to die. Right there, in front of everybody, with all the flashbulbs popping, be wanted to drop dead huge and hard at the age of thirty-nine, and leave a spectacular corpse behind.

I have read many many stories about Steve. Not all favorable. He had some
issues . . . but don't we all.

Never cared for his physique but did the best he could with what he was born with.
And he sacrificed a lot to get it. Intensity or Insanity.

Very good interview with his long time training partner, John DeFendis. (Much about Steve!)

he certainly pushed it in more ways than one, I posted part 2 of this saga...very long. hey ma. I almost read a book !

Never cared for his physique but did the best he could with what he was born with.

Very good interview with his long time training partner, John DeFendis. (Much about Steve!)
Like you said, there are so many stories about Steve Michalik. You could say he was a NY legend in the world of bodybuilding and apparently one of the hardest and most intense trainers ever ("Intensity or Insanity" was what his training method came to be known as) during his competitive career.

Gregg Valentino always tells the story of how Steve ended his life. He turned to his wife and said, "I'm gonna show you something you're never gonna forget" and then blew his brains out. Whether that's true or not I can't confirm. There are many other crazy stories about Steve who really seemed to push boundaries. Apparently, Michalik confirmed in an interview that he obtained the skulls of monkeys and extracted fluid form their brains with the idea that he'd be ingesting Growth Hormone. He said it but who knows if it's true. I suspect he liked shocking people. Another one, and this was in the newspaper, he publicly condemned anabolic steroids towards the end of his life and was training people and advocating for natural bodybuilding. Seemed like the man suffered from severe mental imbalance (obvious) and I'm sure the drugs didn't help matters.

after listening to this podcast, Steve was a maniac. 70 sets per body part. not the kind of guy I would hang with but no doubt heart of a champion.

after listening to this podcast, Steve was a maniac. 70 sets per body part. not the kind of guy I would hang with but no doubt heart of a champion.
Yea, interesting insight into Steve. A tough taskmaster. But one thing I admired about him and that was he would never ask you to do something he would not do. We need more of that.

I remember reading somewhere where Steve said he was addicted to training (no shit), that is all he lived for and when not weight training he would find himself doing 1 leg calf raises off the curb when he was pumping gas.

He had a younger brother named Anthony (?) who was a bodybuilder also, same structure, but not as big.

Why I remember this shit I will never know.

Yea, interesting insight into Steve. A tough taskmaster. But one thing I admired about him and that was he would never ask you to do something he would not do. We need more of that.

I remember reading somewhere where Steve said he was addicted to training (no shit), that is all he lived for and when not weight training he would find himself doing 1 leg calf raises off the curb when he was pumping gas.

He had a younger brother named Anthony (?) who was a bodybuilder also, same structure, but not as big.

Why I remember this shit I will never know.
He was a very interesting and colorful character. Very extreme. Much like Mentzer or even Pete Grymkowski (Grymko). These guys were not your typical bodybuilder. They were not adhering to the status quo & were doing things very different. Whether or not this was done for attention and/or monetary gain is hard to say but I can only imagine if Michalik was around today, I'm sure he'd be huge on social media.

I read about Michalik when I was in my teens. My library (fantastic public library in my home town) had a smattering of bodybuilding books by Robert Kennedy and others.
I though Steve was insane. Like borderline would need to be locked up one day insane.

I should have posted this article in one shot, after reading part 2 again I think he was insane..mentzer I felt was more of a eccentric..he would explain his methods logically. Michalik was more "shut the fuck up and train" I also think mentzer had better physique

His stories are what give the masses ammo for making AAS to be horrible. He must have had personality or mental issues. Because using AAS never made me do any of the crap he claims. Not a fan of him for the dumb shit he spouted off about…

Cage

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity