over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Building a custom computer

kbtoy

Registered
I posted this on another forum as well and it's basically a cut and paste, b/c I didn't really want to type it all out again when i'm asking the same thing and I figured I would get more views at two places so here it is.

Ok, so I want to build a custom computer. The one I have now is compaq presario. I was very happy with it when I bought it about 9 years ago. The thing keeps freezing up on me constantly now and it;s just outdated. So i have been looking into buying a new one. And I have been reading a lot about building one being a lot cheaper and I can get the options i want. The problem is I know shit about the inner workings of a computer. I kinda know what does what but i don't know what the best processor would be for my needs or the best motherboard. How much power I need or what parts would work well with the other. And I can't seem to find a sight that helps pick out that kind of stuff. And researching each processor plus each motherboard,cpu, etc... is a very overwhelming task.

So i'm asking for help for maybe some advice of what to look for or even maybe a place to start. I was looking at newegg.com and even that, I just don't know what to look for. I know I need to start with a case and that;s about it and even then I don't know what kind of case i would need.

i basically just want a home pc that has a decent processor for multitasking and browsing the net. I don't play games all that often but I do watch movies and would like to hook my pc up to my TV. Also I like to keep a god awful amount of info on my hard drive. I like to download music a lot and movies as well. Basically that's it. So any advice would be appreciated fellas. KB

I posted this on another forum as well and it's basically a cut and paste, b/c I didn't really want to type it all out again when i'm asking the same thing and I figured I would get more views at two places so here it is.

Ok, so I want to build a custom computer. The one I have now is compaq presario. I was very happy with it when I bought it about 9 years ago. The thing keeps freezing up on me constantly now and it;s just outdated. So i have been looking into buying a new one. And I have been reading a lot about building one being a lot cheaper and I can get the options i want. The problem is I know shit about the inner workings of a computer. I kinda know what does what but i don't know what the best processor would be for my needs or the best motherboard. How much power I need or what parts would work well with the other. And I can't seem to find a sight that helps pick out that kind of stuff. And researching each processor plus each motherboard,cpu, etc... is a very overwhelming task.

So i'm asking for help for maybe some advice of what to look for or even maybe a place to start. I was looking at newegg.com and even that, I just don't know what to look for. I know I need to start with a case and that;s about it and even then I don't know what kind of case i would need.

i basically just want a home pc that has a decent processor for multitasking and browsing the net. I don't play games all that often but I do watch movies and would like to hook my pc up to my TV. Also I like to keep a god awful amount of info on my hard drive. I like to download music a lot and movies as well. Basically that's it. So any advice would be appreciated fellas. KB

im building a gaming PC right now.. ill send you some info in a PM when i get home from work.

Build Your Own PC | PCMech

you can join that forum and ask and learn , i learned how to build at pc mech, learned how to overclock at overclockers, i find the guys at clockers more adept

**broken link removed**

for what its worth, with gaming moving more and more towards the systems and away from pc, i doubt ill ever build another, all i need is a basic laptop to surf ...............and a decent external speaker system ;)

If you are fine with a 9-year-old compaq despite the crashing, and only want some media center functionality (for hooking it to a TV), you could easliy accomplish that with a ~$400 full tower Dell and a $120 video card. Don't start your computer-building experience from scratch. Buy a working machine, and as you need more power, swap out individual bits. It will be cheaper, more reliable, and it'll let you determine if you actually WANT to learn the ins-and-outs of PC building. If in two or three years it's become an abomination of it's former self, then you can go nuts building one up.

Besides, as I always tell my friends (who are ALL gamers), if your budget is less than $1200, do NOT build a machine from scratch. That's the point where custom built machines cross the power threshold of pre-builts, and for a media center, you will NEVER need that kind of power.

My suggestion? Get a Dell Inspiron 570MT
The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

and an NVidia GeForce 9800 GT
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N973-TR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

With that you have yourself a perfectly acceptable, decently powerful media center capable box for ~$500. Enjoy.

If you are fine with a 9-year-old compaq despite the crashing, and only want some media center functionality (for hooking it to a TV), you could easliy accomplish that with a ~$400 full tower Dell and a $120 video card. Don't start your computer-building experience from scratch. Buy a working machine, and as you need more power, swap out individual bits. It will be cheaper, more reliable, and it'll let you determine if you actually WANT to learn the ins-and-outs of PC building. If in two or three years it's become an abomination of it's former self, then you can go nuts building one up.

Besides, as I always tell my friends (who are ALL gamers), if your budget is less than $1200, do NOT build a machine from scratch. That's the point where custom built machines cross the power threshold of pre-builts, and for a media center, you will NEVER need that kind of power.

My suggestion? Get a Dell Inspiron 570MT
The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

and an NVidia GeForce 9800 GT
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N973-TR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

With that you have yourself a perfectly acceptable, decently powerful media center capable box for ~$500. Enjoy.

Thanks that is pretty much what I have been getting. It's just not worth it anymore to build one from the case up. i found one at Best buy that I am thinking about getting and just add to it if I need too. I have heard some pretty negative things about Dell concerning their customer service so I think I'll go a different route however I do appreciate the replies.

I'm thinking this one. It has a terabyte of memory. Which is awesome. The monitor is a touchscreen and the best thing is it's right in my price range.

Gateway SX2801-01e Desktop & 20" LCD Monitor Package

I'm thinking this one. It has a terabyte of memory. Which is awesome.

A slight mix-up of terminology there that ultimately resulted in my head temporarily exploding. If that were an accurate statement though, it would be awesome.

A slight mix-up of terminology there that ultimately resulted in my head temporarily exploding. If that were an accurate statement though, it would be awesome.

Yea I should have said it has a terabyte hard drive. And I think 6gb memory

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner