over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Building a thick and wide back

To be honest I'm at work and couldn't read the whole thread. I remember he was suggesting bent over dumbbell rows but don't think I could do those under fatigue with of my lower back going into flexion.

Use an incline bench to support your chest. This will remove all the stress on your lower back.

Use an incline bench to support your chest. This will remove all the stress on your lower back.

That is a good exercise in its own right but very different from doing them unsupported. Maintaining the arch under load and scapular rotation creates a different effect than is otherwise achievable. A one arm cable row is most similar but falls short in that only one side contracts at a time

What's wrong with a cable row in comparison?

The contraction is different when both sides act at thh same time. But a bilateral cable row would not allow the scapula to rotate as needed.

The contraction is different when both sides act at thh same time. But a bilateral cable row would not allow the scapula to rotate as needed.

But a bent over bilateral dumbbell row would?

i did the pull ups with the elbows forward tip - that was a gem.

also did the rows, but was a total deltoid burn out, what did I do wrong? elbows flared, not to the sides.

i did the pull ups with the elbows forward tip - that was a gem.

also did the rows, but was a total deltoid burn out, what did I do wrong? elbows flared, not to the sides.

Elbows shouldnt be flared. Thats where u went wrong.

But a bent over bilateral dumbbell row would?

Dude. Just don't do it.
Don't row.
It's obvious that's what you want to be told, and you're not going to stop until someone does.

Don't do them

I promise, no reality-shattering, universe-ending paradoxes will ensue.

Dude. Just don't do it.
Don't row.
It's obvious that's what you want to be told, and you're not going to stop until someone does.

Don't do them

I promise, no reality-shattering, universe-ending paradoxes will ensue.

Actually you are over reacting or maybe it's a poor attempt at being funny.
If we are talking about bent over barbells rows. I am curious why cable rows won't produce the same results?
If we are talking about the rows Phil mentions I understand that's its different.
I am also curious if pull downs are worthwhile?

Last edited:
Phil covered earlier in the thread that pulldowns are not worthwhile since you already have everything covered with bent over double DB rows and pullups. And perhaps a rear delt exercise also added. Thats HIS idea/system. I adhere to that for a long time though the "less is more - keep it simple, stupid"

I saw a video of Phil training years ago doing the dumbell rows as he described them. I loved the feel. For some stupid reason I got away from doing them regularly, maybe because you can't do a whole lot of weight. Pretty dumb reason!
thanks for the post Phil, sure appreciate it.:headbang:

Try seated cable row, one arm at a time. Put the foot of th e side you are using so your body is rotated a little bit. This will allow you to stretch the scapulae and also more effectively isolate the targeted muscles, as you are seated and not using you legs/back to balance, simply using beating the target muscle group into oblivion. It wotked wonders for my back. The key was ad phil said, stretch the scapulae, and yes this can be done on cable row. One arm at a time.

I saw a video of Phil training years ago doing the dumbell rows as he described them. I loved the feel. For some stupid reason I got away from doing them regularly, maybe because you can't do a whole lot of weight. Pretty dumb reason!
thanks for the post Phil, sure appreciate it.:headbang:

here.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5CxkBior1k]Phil Hernon - Training - YouTube[/ame]

yep, that's it, thanks!

Try seated cable row, one arm at a time. Put the foot of th e side you are using so your body is rotated a little bit. This will allow you to stretch the scapulae and also more effectively isolate the targeted muscles, as you are seated and not using you legs/back to balance, simply using beating the target muscle group into oblivion. It wotked wonders for my back. The key was ad phil said, stretch the scapulae, and yes this can be done on cable row. One arm at a time.

Seated 1 arm cable rows?? You couldn't get further away from his principles....compound movements, no isolation, no cables, free weights...simple......Why would you do that when you can just do the exercise he outlined???

Not that I watched the video I think I could do those with out putting my back into flexion.
Phil looks like arnie

I have lower back issues and some days i need chest supported work so stuck on the ISO HS low row. I tried the DB rows on the benches at my gym but the angle and how the bench is built seems to throw me off. Maybe IM doing it wrong.

Seated 1 arm cable rows?? You couldn't get further away from his principles....compound movements, no isolation, no cables, free weights...simple......Why would you do that when you can just do the exercise he outlined???

Why did steve jobs start apple when he knew damn good and well bill gates had already programmed microsoft? Why in the hell did christopher columbus cross the seas, when he knew damn good and well that they already had discovered the world is flat? I found a variation that incorporates maybr not all of phils principles, but incorporates the main principle which is keep the core stable and stretch the scapula. By doing this exercise i am able to work around a lower back injury and blast the fuck out of my upper lats and traps at several differnt angles, depending on the position of your hand. Works better than anything else that ive personally tried. I recommend you try it in place of one of your db rows, or at least follow up a heavy set of db rows with some high rep work on the cable, you will like the results.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear