over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

"Building Muscle Over 40"

Fit2Serve

Kilo Klub Member
Registered

time stamps:

1:55 he states what recommended gm per kilo bodyweight etc and then gets into what i think is super interesting...
he states body loses 3% muscle mass a year starting at @40 yrs old
so, he says solution is to consume 30% more protein...

anyone adjusting protein intake based on age!?
not sure i have heard that one before...
makes sense i guess? for natty guys? for most us i suppose it doesnt matter?
interesting tho...

admittedly i didnt watch whole video before posting... watching rest now....

This wont apply directly to most here. But everything i have read points to needing higher protein intakes as people get older.

Like everything else, I think this is very much individual by individual. I am 52 turning 53 next month and I can't say I am losing any muscle mass. That said, I am only a 90 kilo guy or 198 pounds which is where I like to be for a host of reasons. Sure, if I was underfed particularly in protein, didn't train my balls off, etc. it would be a different scenario.

I think training to build muscle over 40 is similar to building muscle over 30 or even 20.
Consistent time under the bar paired with progressively heavier workouts and progressively more eating.
The only thing is compounds youre blasting and avoiding exercises that cause pain

I think training to build muscle over 40 is similar to building muscle over 30 or even 20.
Consistent time under the bar paired with progressively heavier workouts and progressively more eating.
The only thing is compounds youre blasting and avoiding exercises that cause pain
true but we cant deny seems receptors and response starts to decline after 40+ years old... if thats true maybe wise to change things

Eating more protein may be the solution for ordinary people, but for us ... we are already eating enough protein.

You can build strength and muscle at any age, there is a 100 year old woman who lifts weights, but she started at 92 years old.

It's just downhill for us, it doesn't matter if you use gear or not.

To continue progressing, one should be natural until 40 and 50, and then, start adding test, GH etc ...

Depends on the individual. What’s their background, structure health and all types of other factors…. It’s hard to say that just one way is the best way for stacking on size for individuals > 40 yrs old. What works best for you may not work best for me and so on. I’ve Seen a guy who was 60 holding his own with top national guys on stage. Look at phil clahar these last two shows at 47

I assume the research he is referencing is based on the avg population, which means inactive people, who you would expect to lose muscle with age.

And without some stimuli to produce muscle, just eating more protein is not likely to prevent it by any significant degree.

Eating more protein may be the solution for ordinary people, but for us ... we are already eating enough protein.

You can build strength and muscle at any age, there is a 100 year old woman who lifts weights, but she started at 92 years old.

It's just downhill for us, it doesn't matter if you use gear or not.

To continue progressing, one should be natural until 40 and 50, and then, start adding test, GH etc ...
Or is it also like carbs. That our bodies start to get desensitized to high levels of protein and doesn't respond as well.

Like everything else, I think this is very much individual by individual. I am 52 turning 53 next month and I can't say I am losing any muscle mass. That said, I am only a 90 kilo guy or 198 pounds which is where I like to be for a host of reasons. Sure, if I was underfed particularly in protein, didn't train my balls off, etc. it would be a different scenario.
Same age, 198lbs as well as you. Keep my protein intake high and doing keto. Real TRT plus primo / EQ a few times per year as well. Never looked better.

if you never went to the gym then sure you can build muscle at 40.
if you are here and thinking of building muscle at 40.... wtf have you been doing the other 20 years? that ship has sailed motherfucker.
Muscle can be built well into old age, but like you said its going to be in untrained people. The college I was at was doing a study on weightlifting in elderly men. The men were all about 70 years old and up I think. I cant remember because this was back in 1994. We did muscle biopsies of the vastus lateralis along the way and recorded strength gains. All the guys were pretty much untrained if I remember right. It was just using legs. The leg press might have been the only exercise. Big gains in strength and their muscles grew too. The muscle fiber type changed also, more toward the fast twitch side of things.

Or is it also like carbs. That our bodies start to get desensitized to high levels of protein and doesn't respond as well.

Consuming higher amounts of protein as you age seems like an effective prevention measure ... but, if you're already consuming 1 or 1.5 grams per pound, I don't know if increasing that amount will help.

Some people also have digestion problems with much protein meals, so it might be a good idea to have half the daily dose of protein in the form of protein powder.

Consuming higher amounts of protein as you age seems like an effective prevention measure ... but, if you're already consuming 1 or 1.5 grams per pound, I don't know if increasing that amount will help.

Some people also have digestion problems with much protein meals, so it might be a good idea to have half the daily dose of protein in the form of protein powder.
We hear tales too of people running into kidney problems with too much protein. I can see where that might be more of a concern with older people assuming their kidneys aren't functioning as well as a young person's.

By the time i got into my 50's maintaining muscle was becoming a challenge at best. Even with high T levels and eating 300+ grams of protein a day for 30 years. I have never seen any studies showing that high protein diets even long term is bad for the kidneys for your average healthy person. After all these decades my eGRF is usually 95+. Most people that seem to have kidney issues are ones that have also been doing other things besides eating protein and have not adequately made sure they kept their system flushed out with water.

Response to doses of leucine in regards to triggering MPS decreases with age.

Long story short, and there is another study I can't find, it takes 6g or leucine in a 60 year old to spike MPS like 3g does in a 30 year old.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity