over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bulging Disc..HELP

HSBulker

Registered
About 6 months ago I hurt my back, and come to find out its a bulging disc. The doc I went to was a nice, albeit shitty gov't insurance doc as I just got my insurance lately. He showed me the MRI, and I could see it. It didn't look terrible, but the shit hurts. Only down my leg when I aggravate it somehow. I stretch my hams every morning and every night, so they don't pull on it, and I do a few exercises to try and strengthen the muscles around it..but his only advice was to stop working out and hope it heals..WTF!? He had absolutely no sports experience so I'm wondering if anyone else had the same problem or has any suggestions? First things that came to mind were massage or maybe chiro..?

FYI it's very low, between the L5 and S1.

Last edited:
I did the same thing to L5...I rehabbed myself and got back to 100% in 5 to 6 months.

STRETCH out those hamstrings

overall stretching and sitting in hot tub and stretching...pool work...keep all weight off your shoulders and not above your head until you start to feel a bit better...

anytime you can, lay down with your knees bent and feet up.

so that means no shoulders, legs, obviously no back..

what am i gonna do!? :eek:

how long did you stay off the weights completely?

btw i cant tell you how great it is to hear you say you rehabbed, the doc told me it was 50/50 that it might never heal, and would hurt for the rest of my life..

L5 here also, but it was herniated and I have kept myself active for 20 years with it.

There are Traction Tables that a few Chiropractors have and they are great to get that area from being compressed.

On top of just stretching your hamstrings, I have had great results when I started stretching the glutes, periformus, Iliopsoas, spinal erectors & the obliques. Keeping all the connecting muscles loose will go a long way in being able to stay active

Here is a great site for stretches. Look for the names of the muscles I gave you and it will show you stretches for that area.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

shoulders, legs. back

your disc is not herniated but bulging. staying active is far more productive than staying away from the gym as was suggested to you by a less than competent physician. by all means stretch those hammys ,quads ,and lower back. in the meantime i would suggest the following exercises for your problem areas. shoulders: seated side laterals and front raises with moderate dumbells for 5 sets 15 reps resting one minute or less( you can get great delts without overhead presses) legs: wide stance ,toes pointing out, light weight, leg presses for 5 sets 25 reps with less than 2 minutes rest between sets. you won't lose any size on your legs and may even grow. back: you can do all the pullups you want without straining your lower back and if your gym has one...supported T- bar rows where you rest your chest on an angled pad and again use moderate weight, ultra strict form, and high rep sets with short rest periods. i hope you are able to figure out a way to train without further injury and offer the above as a guidline, best of luck...i know you can reverse this.

I've had 3 bulging discs on 3 individual occasions, I have a twist in my spine whch I think may be a contributing factor. The worst one I couldn't even stand upright let alone pick anything up.

My advise: Let it heal. Take 1-2 weeks off all activity and take some strong perscription anti inflamitories, voltarin is the best I've used. Lie flat on your back with your knees bent and legs up on your couch or something. Get some physio, then after 2 weeks get back in the gym only doing exercises where your lower back is not used to support anything e.g chest supported rows, bench, preacher curls, bodyweight chins and dips, whatever. after 3-4 weeks get back to your normal routine.

Working through a bulging disc can cause it to get worse or even rupture it.

With each of my bulging discs I was back in the gym doing heavy deep squats, deadlifts, bent over rows and training muay thai, BJJ, MMA hard with no problems in 6 weeks! 6 weeks of taking it easy is worth it for saving your back.

They go back in by themselfs if you let them.

Last edited:
By no means would I suggest not being active...the worse thing to do is just sit around.

NO heavy pounding on the back...that means NO running...use the stationary bike.

STRETCH...you cannot stretch enough.

This may sound corny, but I hung from the pull up bar with my knees bent and concentrated on sucking in my stomach and elongating my spine. use you wraps and hang there as long as you can.

STRETCH DAMNIT!!

strengthen that CORE!!!

That Sucks

I jacked up my L5 in 1997 in a car wreck, and now it's back to visit me, like a visit from my mother. It shuts off feeling and proper movement in my left pinkie, ring finger and middle index. As I type, I can only use my index on my left. As your injury is lower, it's screwing up the sciatic nerve tree. Guys who inject in their rear, if not careful, will nail this bundle of nerves, and will literally jump through a wall in pain.

As was mentioned here, get in the tub, go to Sam's and buy an inversion table, and call an osteopath.

I got my inversion table for like $150 at Sams. It is big as a freakin jungle gym, but inverting your body will help pull the discs apart, as you compress them together in lifting and normal, everyday, upright activity.

Don't start squatting. This will NOT force the disc back into place. It will exacerbate the problem, making your recovery a long way off. Your disc is pressing against a nerve in the spine that corresponds to the wonderful sciatic tree, causing constant pain.

Isn't the body a wonderous thing...

In my case, and this is gross, the ribs next to my L5 dislodged from their socket, which causes pain in the front corresponding region next to my sternum.

Again, it is simply a matter of time, and you'll wake up one day and it'll be gone.

My osteopath is a enormously fat farm boy who fell asleep in his chair after drinking too much beer, and his head dropped forward, pulling his ribs out of alignment. It took him about 2 months to fix it, and he woke up with no more pain.

He isn't a lifter, so his healing will arrive faster.

If you don't stop lifting, you may be looking at a year of this crap. It will only slow the process of rectification, and could get worse.

Believe me, you don't want someone cutting open your back to fix this as you can fix it yourself. Back surgery can be VERY risky.

Sorry, but this is really your only option. I know how it is to just STOP lifting. It sucks and you fear you'll atrophie into nothing.

You won't.

Steroids, also, won't help. They will simply mask the pain, and you'll keep hammering away at the inflammed site, and when the cycle is done, you're going to wish you were dead. A steroid will not fix a bone. It only interacts with muscle fiber, and this is why my osteopath wouldn't shoot my back full of drugs, to my dismay.

You need to get the muscle that is in constant spasm to relax, and once you accomplish this, the disc can then slowly move back into its correct position. If the muscle is constantly tense, it simply holds the disc out of place.

I bought a book to help my neck. The author has one also for the back. Go to Amazon and buy it because it WORKS ENORMOUSLY WELL.

Treat Your Own Back (Paperback)
Robin A. McKenzie

http://www.amazon.com/Treat-Your-Ba...9238/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b/002-8370681-6869600

So, off to the tub, you...and do really look into getting an inversion table. You have this issue with your disc for life, and it will revisit, I promise. And since Dracula has spent an eternity hanging upside down, he's probably got the best spine in history, I swear.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=373743

Oh, and go to the grocery store and buy big boxes of EPSOM SALT. Dump that crap in the bath water, and with the high salt content, you'll free float, as you would if you were to wade into the Dead Sea. You can't sink, and it takes off all the weighted pressure...like what they do in those isolation tanks.

You'll live to lift another day.

L5-S1

i had a bulged disc , right there . all i can advise you to do is google ''IDET'' .
after you got it done , you will be able to lift again etc... within 2 to 3 months . it is a 2 step procedure (look it up , don't ask me ! ) . then the rehab will take a few weeks . and then you will be lifting :) . but beware , you might be able to tell when the weather is changing after you got this done . that is the only bad past , i have gotten from this .

wake

Wow, I really didn't expect this many replies. Thanks for all the insight. Reading about it online and the ways to help it is one thing, but hearing it from lifters like myself that have been through it and recovered really gives me hope. Dumbass doc scared the shit out of me. I'm one of the youngest guys on the board, and I thought I'd have to deal with this for the rest of my life!

Gonna stop training for at least a few weeks and try the things suggested. Only problem is I'm too tall for my bathtub! The heat feels great, but I can't get my back comfortable. :mad:

I'll let you know how it all works out!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity