advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bulking diet. Eating when hungry only approach.

Ocean cool

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Just curious. How many of u guys uses the "Eating only when Hungry approach" for bulking?

Why?

I personally found that if you eat clean when bulking, you will be hungry every 2 hours maybe even less which allows for you to consume more food! I am hungry almost every 2-2 1/2 hours and I am gaining. I think the GHRP has helped me stay hungry as well ;). Also, I think that if you are not hungry and have to force feed yourself, you may be overtraining. Since switching to a 3 day a week workout, I have been eating a shit load and keep growing.

This approach "Eating only when hungry" has its advantage according to some;

1. U don't get fat,
2. U don't actually need so much calories.

Whats your thought on this? Do u guys use this approach?

I have been doing this for the past few weeks just to take a break from the food. I have had my diet spot on for almost two years straight and I just wanted a break. So I have been eating when hungry which so far I eat breakfast. Eat luch early around 11am, eat a meal around 3pm then go home and eat dinner. All the meals are still mostly clean but I have been eating lunch out with my co-workers. I have maintained my weight for the last three weeks which has been the goal.

If i was full force bulking I think this might work with some extra protein here and there and my meals would be a little larger.

This approach "Eating only when hungry" has its advantage according to some;

1. U don't get fat,
2. U don't actually need so much calories.

Whats your thought on this? Do u guys use this approach?

speaking from my experience over the last year (I am no expert)....

1. You won't get fat, but the macros have to be right for you, and that could
take a little time and experimentation. There seems to be much more
consensus on amount of protein required for growth that the other
nutrients, so many guys will pick a number for protein that makes sense,
and then play with carbs and fat.

2. You will need as many calories as you need. The way you are
using the word "need" is pretty loose. "Need" for what? To grow? Your
body will dictate that number. Needing less calories, then, is
relative. You see what I'm saying? Sorry man if thats confusing I don't
know how else to answer the question:)

In my experience, it is the only way to eat. Bodybuilder or not.....our bodies are SMARTER THAN US hahahahaha

I can't do it. I'm not sure why but when I get hungry I get nauseous. I feel better when eating on a good schedule where I eat a lot of small meals a day, as I haven't been able to stuff myself like I did before BMT.

My goal is bulking. I was advice to eat only when hungry.

The problem is I don't have a big appetite. I follow this approach because my trainer tells me to. BTW, my trainer is from here, promuscle.

My question is, if I use this approach, i'll only be eating 4x a day. Assuming each meal is 500 cals. Thats 2000 cals a day.

How can that be enough?

you mustve hired this trainer for a reason..so listen to his advise that you paid for...

end of the day, if you train hard and sleep enough, you will be hungry more then you think..

day after legs, i am have an insatiable apetite..

i learned alot over time...

one chef in the kitchen makes the best soup- listen to the trainer you hired..

speaking from my experience over the last year (I am no expert)....

1. You won't get fat, but the macros have to be right for you, and that could
take a little time and experimentation. There seems to be much more
consensus on amount of protein required for growth that the other
nutrients, so many guys will pick a number for protein that makes sense,
and then play with carbs and fat.

2. You will need as many calories as you need. The way you are
using the word "need" is pretty loose. "Need" for what? To grow? Your
body will dictate that number. Needing less calories, then, is
relative. You see what I'm saying? Sorry man if thats confusing I don't
know how else to answer the question:)

In my experience, it is the only way to eat. Bodybuilder or not.....our bodies are SMARTER THAN US hahahahaha

In another thread, someone else remarked how the average person must think that bodybuilders are absolutely retarded, considering how "eating when hungry" seems like some God-given revelation to us. "Oh, so you mean I don't have to force food down my trap till I feel like puking?"

The problem is I don't have a big appetite. I follow this approach because my trainer tells me to. BTW, my trainer is from here, promuscle.

My question is, if I use this approach, i'll only be eating 4x a day. Assuming each meal is 500 cals. Thats 2000 cals a day.

How can that be enough?

Why the hell would you assume that? I can wolf down 1000 calories in 10 minutes easy, given the right combination of foods.

I'll admit, the basis of this approach seems reasonable.. but me personally, I would only incorporate this method during rest periods. For instance, taking a substantial time off from lifting and such. It would seem ideal to help the body and mind both recover by only eating when hungry.

But on the flipside I look at it like this when trying to grow... The body wants to maintain homeostasis.. it does NOT want to grow (excluding post contest when you have been deprived of nutrients). We are in a sport of extremes, obviously.. and in order to force the body to grow you're going to have to endure times of forcing a surplus amount of calories. I honestly do not believe that an individual can amke significant musclular growth in the offseason, or in general...but simply eating when hungry. Just my thoughts.

How can that be enough?

buddy....not to be rude but if you're paying a professional trainer/coach for your nutritional blueprints, training and other advice, then you should STOP second guessing your trainer and asking others what you should be doing.

Just by this simple doubting, you're giving yourself undue stress which will slow your gains, let alone you’re wasting money by paying a qualified professional for advice that you’re not trusting to even follow.

This lack of trust also discredits your trainer, (let alone stating he is a member on the board).

The bottom line, there are no secrets to training……CLEAN DENSE MUSLCE MASS COMES WITH TIME DEDICATION AND PERSISTANCE.

HEAVY TRAINING, HIGH CALORIES, CLEAN EATING, FREQUENT TRAINING AND REST, WITH THE RIGHT COMBO OF AAS AND OTHER HORMONES WHICH WORK THE BEST FOR THE GENETICS YOU HAVE.

And if I recall, were you not just called out on this about a week or two ago for second guessing your trainer and asking the board members how you should be doing things???

JMHO

How can that be enough?

if i were you i would do what my trainer says for awhile... give it a fair shot, add up my macros each day and keep track of progress and if i wasnt eating enough i would tell my trainer that this isnt working for me i think we need to do something different. then he should change things up and if he doesnt id find a new trainer. there is no one size fits all diet what works for one person might not work for another.

buddy....not to be rude but if you're paying a professional trainer/coach for your nutritional blueprints, training and other advice, then you should STOP second guessing your trainer and asking others what you should be doing.

Just by this simple doubting, you're giving yourself undue stress which will slow your gains, let alone you’re wasting money by paying a qualified professional for advice that you’re not trusting to even follow.

This lack of trust also discredits your trainer, (let alone stating he is a member on the board).

The bottom line, there are no secrets to training……CLEAN DENSE MUSLCE MASS COMES WITH TIME DEDICATION AND PERSISTANCE.

HEAVY TRAINING, HIGH CALORIES, CLEAN EATING, FREQUENT TRAINING AND REST, WITH THE RIGHT COMBO OF AAS AND OTHER HORMONES WHICH WORK THE BEST FOR THE GENETICS YOU HAVE.

And if I recall, were you not just called out on this about a week or two ago for second guessing your trainer and asking the board members how you should be doing things???

JMHO

I didn't say its right or wrong. Nor am i doubting. In fact i'm following it.
Please read my thread.

I just wanted to know how many guys here are following this approach & whats your opinion on it. Everyone is entitle to their own opinion.

Just post your thoughts.

Please read my thread.

I just wanted to know how many guys here are following this approach & whats your opinion on it. Everyone is entitle to their own opinion.

Just post your thoughts.

Ronnie I have read your post twice, and as I mentioned earlier, you have been called out on this before. What opinions do you need? You have paid a professional to train you and get you the best results based on your genetics. Whatever anyone else is doing should not matter as they do not have the same genetics, goals or trainer.

Just do what he says, because I can say with confidence that if you keep up like this, you will most likely be looking for another trainer, as it does look a bit rude that you don’t trust what your coach says, as you look to others to confirm if they agree or disagree. Once again JMHO

Bottom line, follow the paid advice for at least 6-12 weeks then if you are not seeing the results you would like or expect, go back to the coach and discuss this with him.

Please read my thread.

Just post your thoughts.

In my opinion

When on Eating when Hungry, one can select a macronutrient ratio ex 50grams protien/35 grams carbs/15 grams of fats, Let the food items be the one you can easily digest and you get hungry again.

So In the begining you may feel hungry for 3-4 meals a day, protien still high enough to cause recovery /at the same time calorie deficit to cause fat loss(body ain`t super efficient to utilize too much protein ...initially.), However, EATING WHEN HUNGRY is ain`t about calorie deficit, Its about INCREASED BMR via gaining muscle and losing bodyfat or keeping the bodyfat constant (if its very low) and yet gaining muscle.

Now as we know through progressive lifting, muscle grows bigger and stronger to adapt itself from the same load next time, now when we force this upon ourselves our body signals for more food in the form of Hunger.(so even if you start with 3-4 meals/day you will keep adding meals every 2-3 weeks and may be 16-20 weeks later you are consuming 10-11 meals/day .............but this will happen on its own..you would need to read the physical features carefully.)

So HUNGER reperesents the DEMAND of the body for Protien/Carbs/Fats so that the muscles grow bigger and stronger = Increased Muscle mass and therefore representing the metabolic status(BMR) of the body, So as you gain muscle BMR is increased = more fat loss.

Once you establish a point of “Metabolic Gap”, which means increase in muscle mass and decrease in bodyfat levels- you become the “king” You govern your Strength/Size/Leanness. Now in order to progressively grow more muscle size/strength/leanness..all you need to do is to increase (Anabolism) by increasing the food as well as bumping up AAS.(So Plateau is majorly a factor concerning Anabolism rather than training it self.)

Heavy progressive lifting in the gym is directly proportional to the hunger it will cause, ex leg training, you will feel ravenous even after the day of Leg Training. So train heavy hard basic—safe.

So overall When “Eating when Hungry” then the formula goes like this.
Progressive weight training=Increased Microtrauma=increased Hunger=increased BMR=increased Fat loss.

##hire phil Hernon...

Last edited:
In my opinion

When on Eating when Hungry, one can select a macronutrient ratio ex 50grams protien/35 grams carbs/15 grams of fats, Let the food items be the one you can easily digest and you get hungry again.

So In the begining you may feel hungry for 3-4 meals a day, protien still high enough to cause recovery /at the same time calorie deficit to cause fat loss(body ain`t super efficient to utilize too much protein ...initially.), However, EATING WHEN HUNGRY is ain`t about calorie deficit, Its about INCREASED BMR via gaining muscle and losing bodyfat or keeping the bodyfat constant (if its very low) and yet gaining muscle.

Now as we know through progressive lifting, muscle grows bigger and stronger to adapt itself from the same load next time, now when we force this upon ourselves our body signals for more food in the form of Hunger.(so even if you start with 3-4 meals/day you will keep adding meals every 2-3 weeks and may be 16-20 weeks later you are consuming 10-11 meals/day .............but this will happen on its own..you would need to read the physical features carefully.)

So HUNGER reperesents the DEMAND of the body for Protien/Carbs/Fats so that the muscles grow bigger and stronger = Increased Muscle mass and therefore representing the metabolic status(BMR) of the body, So as you gain muscle BMR is increased = more fat loss.

Once you establish a point of “Metabolic Gap”, which means increase in muscle mass and decrease in bodyfat levels- you become the “king” You govern your Strength/Size/Leanness. Now in order to progressively grow more muscle size/strength/leanness..all you need to do is to increase (Anabolism) by increasing the food as well as bumping up AAS.(So Plateau is majorly a factor concerning Anabolism rather than training it self.)

Heavy progressive lifting in the gym is directly proportional to the hunger it will cause, ex leg training, you will feel ravenous even after the day of Leg Training. So train heavy hard basic—safe.

So overall When “Eating when Hungry” then the formula goes like this.
Progressive weight training=Increased Microtrauma=increased Hunger=increased BMR=increased Fat loss.

##hire phil Hernon...

Well said.

If your hungry for 2000 cals a day then ur lbm is probably low, relatively speaking, or there is something else going on.

So yes, 2000 is enough to "bulk"

Sent from my Eris ADR6200 using Tapatalk

Yes to eating when hungry

As far as bulking and eating when hungry I would say it depends on what your trying to accomplish with your bulk.

What I mean is that the macros will be different if you are trying to get as big as possible and then hold that weight for many months vs. bulking to slowly add lean mass. Hope that makes sense.

I was taught to eat when hungry and it works very well. But it's the macros that I eat each time I'm hungry that dictate whether I'm taking the fast track to huge mass....or lean bulking...or even cutting.

50gP, 25gC, 20gF every time hungry will get different results than 40gP, 100gC, 30gF every time hungry.....just as an example.

So I'd determine your end goal for your bulk...ie... get huge and worry about suffering later when cutting or lean bulk. Which road you go is a personal choice and depends to an extent on how much muscle you already have vs need and how long you are willing to take to put that muscle on.

How can that be enough?

Ronnie man-how the fuck are you only eating 500 cals per meal. 4 meals per days is fine-as is 3- I eat 3 x a day when cutting but each meal is around 800-1000 cals. 500 cals is ony 4 eggs and a banana- id stil be starving if that was all i ate. I feel full on 4 eggs- 16 oz steak,2 or 3 bannans.some veg and a few hanfull of nuts and im not a big guy.

I use the eat only when hungry method with the macros my trainer gave me and its working wonders i tried eating like i used to b4 i got put in the wheel chair and i got fat as fuck lol

Phil has you do this for a reason....reasons other memebers posting in this thread may not know...so asking for other ppl thoughts on it isnt really going to help at all....trust Phil....many have used him...I have yet to hear one bad thing said about his training and diet info.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke
NapsGear