over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

BUN levels

suppdude

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I've searched the boards and found some good information but wanted to see others numbers and thoughts.

We know BUN is elevated due to various factors and being weight lifters/body builders, taking in high amounts of protein, and possibly not enough fluids, tests can be inaccurate.

Personally, my BUN has been elevated in the range of 29-36 with normal being 7-25 mg/dL. For other information, creatinine always fluctuates from 1.15-1.32 with normal range being 0.60-1.35 mg/dL. BUN/creatinine ratio fluctuates between 22-29 with normal range being 6-22.

Other kidney and liver indicators always come back normal and in range.

Last draw which I just got back, had BUN at 35, Creatinine at 1.26, and BUN/Creatinine ratio at 28.

Bloods were taken in the morning which I was more than likely wasn't properly hydrated and had trained the days prior. And actually, practically every blood draw i've done, has always been straight out of bed and had trained prior. So I know this can skew numbers a bit, but curious what others may think?

Maybe drop protein down around 250-300 grams and see what happens?

Never really been too concerned about it or thought to go see a doc because most don't take into account muscle mass, training, protein, and all that jazz.

Just looking for some feedback on what others think.

My BUN and BUN:Creatinine ratios have been just above the range the last few cycles, both during and post cycle bloods. I definitely need to up my water intake. I cut my protein down to 1g/lb from 1.5g/lb in the past month or so and just did on cycle bloods. Waiting for results now. Will update.

My BUN and BUN:Creatinine ratios have been just above the range the last few cycles, both during and post cycle bloods. I definitely need to up my water intake. I cut my protein down to 1g/lb from 1.5g/lb in the past month or so and just did on cycle bloods. Waiting for results now. Will update.
What were your number at exactly if you don't mind me asking?

I've searched the boards and found some good information but wanted to see others numbers and thoughts.

We know BUN is elevated due to various factors and being weight lifters/body builders, taking in high amounts of protein, and possibly not enough fluids, tests can be inaccurate.

Personally, my BUN has been elevated in the range of 29-36 with normal being 7-25 mg/dL. For other information, creatinine always fluctuates from 1.15-1.32 with normal range being 0.60-1.35 mg/dL. BUN/creatinine ratio fluctuates between 22-29 with normal range being 6-22.

Other kidney and liver indicators always come back normal and in range.

Last draw which I just got back, had BUN at 35, Creatinine at 1.26, and BUN/Creatinine ratio at 28.

Bloods were taken in the morning which I was more than likely wasn't properly hydrated and had trained the days prior. And actually, practically every blood draw i've done, has always been straight out of bed and had trained prior. So I know this can skew numbers a bit, but curious what others may think?

Maybe drop protein down around 250-300 grams and see what happens?

Never really been too concerned about it or thought to go see a doc because most don't take into account muscle mass, training, protein, and all that jazz.

Just looking for some feedback on what others think.

BUN (blood urea nitrogen) is the end product of protein metabolism. Creatinine and BUN are both indicators of kidney function.

Your creatinine is in range, but your BUN is elevated and out of normal range. Elevated BUN can be from excess protein intake and protein catabolism. So drop your protein intake. How much do you weigh and what is your current protein intake?

Like I said above, BUN is an indicator of kidney function. It being elevated can possibly mean renal insufficiency. But there are other factors that play into all of this before I would be worried about kidney damage like high blood pressure. High/Out of range BP can impair renal function.

So, drop your protein intake to a sane level for a week or so prior to a re-test, get a BP monitor and test is daily upon waking bi-laterally and monitor the numbers to ensure they are <120/<80. Then see what the lab values say.

I have kidney dysfunction myself, and it's good you notice this now.

BUN (blood urea nitrogen) is the end product of protein metabolism. Creatinine and BUN are both indicators of kidney function.

Your creatinine is in range, but your BUN is elevated and out of normal range. Elevated BUN can be from excess protein intake and protein catabolism. So drop your protein intake. How much do you weigh and what is your current protein intake?

Like I said above, BUN is an indicator of kidney function. It being elevated can possibly mean renal insufficiency. But there are other factors that play into all of this before I would be worried about kidney damage like high blood pressure. High/Out of range BP can impair renal function.

So, drop your protein intake to a sane level for a week or so prior to a re-test, get a BP monitor and test is daily upon waking bi-laterally and monitor the numbers to ensure they are <120/<80. Then see what the lab values say.

I have kidney dysfunction myself, and it's good you notice this now.

Thanks. I've certainly educated myself on everything that goes with BUN and creatinine.

Blood pressure has never been an issue for as long as I can remember but I still do keep an eye on it and its always right around 120/80 mark.

215lbs at the moment and take in around 360 grams of protein total. Starting yesterday, I dropped protein to 40 grams per meal, which will put me around 240 grams per day. Gonna keep it there then re-test and see what happens.

Thanks. I've certainly educated myself on everything that goes with BUN and creatinine.

Blood pressure has never been an issue for as long as I can remember but I still do keep an eye on it and its always right around 120/80 mark.

215lbs at the moment and take in around 360 grams of protein total. Starting yesterday, I dropped protein to 40 grams per meal, which will put me around 240 grams per day. Gonna keep it there then re-test and see what happens.

I was going to suggest 200-250g/day, but you're already on it. Also, prior to retesting, don't train for 2-3 days prior. Training can also skew BUN/Creatinine values. I think you'll be good.

I was going to suggest 200-250g/day, but you're already on it. Also, prior to retesting, don't train for 2-3 days prior. Training can also skew BUN/Creatinine values. I think you'll be good.

For sure! Will keep protein around 240 mark, drink plenty of fluids (which I do already but I always test first thing in the morning so could be a bit dehydrated), and won't train prior.

Remember that you need to have been hydrated for several days or even weeks before to make BUN a good indicator of protein intake requirements.

Remember that you need to have been hydrated for several days or even weeks before to make BUN a good indicator of protein intake requirements.

Appreciate the input from you. Now that you say that, as I stated to you before, I don't think I've ever been fully hydrated prior to getting a CMP test.

Curious if I should keep protein where it is at and test again being fully hydrated before dropping protein, just to see if it was hydration that was causing elevated numbers.

Came across a thread stating you dropped your protein intake to 40 grams per meal I believe. Now, was this 40 grams all complete protein or did it include non complete from nuts, oats, etc?

My BUN exceeded normal range but creatine and eGFR were both well within range so my doc determined that BUN is entirely caused by diet. Everyone is different but please seek medical advice.

Update: latest test, BUN and BUN:creatinine ratios were WNL. Only change was reduction in protein to around 1g/lb from 1.5g/lb. Last test BUN = 28, b/c ratio = 22. Before that BUN = 23, creatinine = 1.39, b/c ratio wnl. Before that BUN = 24, B/C ratio 20. Etc...

Update: latest test, BUN and BUN:creatinine ratios were WNL. Only change was reduction in protein to around 1g/lb from 1.5g/lb. Last test BUN = 28, b/c ratio = 22. Before that BUN = 23, creatinine = 1.39, b/c ratio wnl. Before that BUN = 24, B/C ratio 20. Etc...
Sorry, didn't include this test since everything was WNL, but BUN = 15, creatinine = 1.22, b/c ratio =12.

Sorry, didn't include this test since everything was WNL, but BUN = 15, creatinine = 1.22, b/c ratio =12.

These are you latest numbers with the drop from 1.5 to 1lb of protein?

WNL?

So something I've realized that could be a factor in this.

I go 1oz chicken = 6 grams protein

So usually take in about 8oz per meal 4 x per day. This would be 48 grams per meal, if this was correct. But I've been using raw data. 1oz cooked chicken = 9 grams protein. So i've been taking in roughly 72 grams 4 x per day, which would put me roughly 96 grams unaccounted for which would have put me about 450 grams of protein per day.

Been keeping protein at 240 the last few days. Might get re-tested this coming monday or wait another week at this intake and then re-test.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws