over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Buying stuff for our home gyms

qbkilla

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Probably should start a thread like this, so no one gets ripped off, I know some probably know price ranges that are fair more than others (like me).

Ill start..

I bought an olympic bar for 20 from a guy I met in dicks (I assume this is a good price)

Weights, im seeing and hearing $1lb is about average for olympic plates. Play it again sports and Walmart sold out, no idea how long it takes to restock?

Anyone considering using non olympic for dumbbells, or even curl bar? I bought some plates and a bar for this. I don't think they have olympic dumbbells so you will need to either (buy enough plates for your dumbbell curls or side raises that are not olympic) or (buy individual dumbbells 20,25,30) which I feel is a less cost effective option

I bought the Walmart power rack for $100. Haven't put it together but since I only SLDL in the 200's, squat 200-300, and do rows with less than 225, I assume this will suffice for me. Guys who use over 400lbs or power lift may need to invest more (I hear a good power rack goes for 300-500 minimum).

A pulley? Unless you really want to invest money this may not be an option. Maybe they can be built for back exercises, press downs, etc.

Any web sites or stores to look for that plates can be bought cheap?

Probably should start a thread like this, so no one gets ripped off, I know some probably know price ranges that are fair more than others (like me).

Ill start..

I bought an olympic bar for 20 from a guy I met in dicks (I assume this is a good price)

Weights, im seeing and hearing $1lb is about average for olympic plates. Play it again sports and Walmart sold out, no idea how long it takes to restock?

Anyone considering using non olympic for dumbbells, or even curl bar? I bought some plates and a bar for this. I don't think they have olympic dumbbells so you will need to either (buy enough plates for your dumbbell curls or side raises that are not olympic) or (buy individual dumbbells 20,25,30) which I feel is a less cost effective option

I bought the Walmart power rack for $100. Haven't put it together but since I only SLDL in the 200's, squat 200-300, and do rows with less than 225, I assume this will suffice for me. Guys who use over 400lbs or power lift may need to invest more (I hear a good power rack goes for 300-500 minimum).

A pulley? Unless you really want to invest money this may not be an option. Maybe they can be built for back exercises, press downs, etc.

Any web sites or stores to look for that plates can be bought cheap?
I looked around local stores a while back and Walmart was the cheapest for weights. Problem with buying online is shipping would astronomically increase the price.

They do make Olympic dumbbells I used to have a pair I believe they were golds gym can’t remember now I sold them about 10 years ago wish I’d kept them now

For the virus or is this just a general home-gym thread? If for the virus, I'm thinking a really cheap bench and ONE standard spin-lock dumbbell handle with four 25's (and a few little ones) is the most cost-effective option. Meaning single-arm bench and shoulder press, pullovers, split squats, goblet squats and single-legged romanian deadlifts would be the bulk of your workout. The uni-lateral stuff is important because it will allow you to use less weight. The standard spin-lock handle as opposed to the OLY handle is important here since the 50+lbs on each side during Goblet squats, pullovers etc. risks sliding off on a dumbbell handle with clips.

If this is a general home-gym thread, nevermind lol.

For the most part, the average lifter can just get away with lowered intensity and additional volume.
But if you're a BBer, shit might turn. I can deal with banded rows, pullups, chinups, etc for back.
Chest will be some weighted dips some fly stuff. Arms will be ok too.
LEGS is the gamble here. If you dont own a squat rack, you might be in trouble. I'm a little nervous and I have a legit decent garage gym with bands.

For the virus or is this just a general home-gym thread? If for the virus, I'm thinking a really cheap bench and ONE standard spin-lock dumbbell handle with four 25's (and a few little ones) is the most cost-effective option. Meaning single-arm bench and shoulder press, pullovers, split squats, goblet squats and single-legged romanian deadlifts would be the bulk of your workout. The uni-lateral stuff is important because it will allow you to use less weight. The standard spin-lock handle as opposed to the OLY handle is important here since the 50+lbs on each side during Goblet squats, pullovers etc. risks sliding off on a dumbbell handle with clips.

If this is a general home-gym thread, nevermind lol.

im with you, just a virus home gym, but I expect it to be needed for months so im going to invest a little more. if the gym was only closed for a month, I think what you said could keep most atrophy away. but if it lasts for months, I feel like I need a barbell, power rack (even cheap one), bench, and 2 dumbbells.

would be nice to be able to do T-bar rows. For me I need to do shrugs so ill need a decent amount of plates and a rack :(

go to marketplace on Facebook or craigslist. lots of weights and equipment collecting dust - you can get a great deal. Titan fitness has some decent equipment at reasonable price.

I just bought the bowflex dumbell set. You can adjust it up to 52.5lbs. I thunk they are pretty cool haha

I just bought the bowflex dumbell set. You can adjust it up to 52.5lbs. I thunk they are pretty cool haha

Damn I would hope they would at least go up to 100 so they can be used for Chest press, 2 arm overhead extension, even overhead presses. You sure its not 52.5kg? My friend has one in her garage I saw it last night I believe it went to almost 100.

Damn I would hope they would at least go up to 100 so they can be used for Chest press, 2 arm overhead extension, even overhead presses. You sure its not 52.5kg? My friend has one in her garage I saw it last night I believe it went to almost 100.
I wish it was kg! Unfortunately it is lbs but it is better than nothing haha
I tried posting a pic but it says the file is to large

Apparently they make two different ones. One that goes to 90lbs and on to 52.5 damn. That was the only one in stock

Find out when a gym or studio is going out of business... That is the cheapest way to get some poundage

I just bought few days ago a olympic bar and 100 kg weights that gives me 120 kg total. Enough for me to do all I need - rows, floor press some shoulders work biceps triceps and some legs exercise. Truth is that you can do very good on maintaining with one barbell and some plates.

A few months ago I found a steal on some plates and DB's at a Goodwill store.

Just bought the Powerblock Elite adjustable dumbbells for a home gym I'm setting up. After about a month of use, they seem very durable and they save a ton of space!

I'm looking into buying equipment for the quarantine and just because it will make things easier when I'm limited on time. For a decent adjustable bench and 150lbs to 300lbs of weights I'm seeing prices between 200-600$ , higher prices ones are squat/bench combo racks. I live right by the York barbell company I would check them out if they were open but it seems I'm limited to Craigslist and similar sites.
Anyone know of good sites or places to purchase decent equipment I'm all ears. None of those plastic sand filled weights tho....

I bought a smith machine off of Craigslist several years ago. They guy gave me a great price on a barely used unit. When I got to his house to pick it up he said his wife wanted everything gone so would I mind taking the two Olympic dumbbell handles and about 300 lbs of Olympic plates for free.........ummm, OK!

Careful with those, ive read they are made of plastic and will break pretty easy if dropped. I prefer powerblocks, base model comes with 50lbs and can be upgraded to 70lbs and then 90lbs. I actually have two sets, one upgraded to 90lbs, one upgraded to 70lbs.

Home gym is how I roll. Got a couple thousand invested in my gym. Over 1000lbs in weights, Yukon vertical leg press with side load plates, max weight 800lbs. Two Olympic bars. Yukon leg extension and curl machine. Smith machine with high, low pulley attachments. Hex bar, and some more stuff. Cant forget the elliptical. Feel bad for you guys who can't get to the gym now.

I post a couple pics but they are too large.

Careful with those, ive read they are made of plastic and will break pretty easy if dropped. I prefer powerblocks, base model comes with 50lbs and can be upgraded to 70lbs and then 90lbs. I actually have two sets, one upgraded to 90lbs, one upgraded to 70lbs.

Home gym is how I roll. Got a couple thousand invested in my gym. Over 1000lbs in weights, Yukon vertical leg press with side load plates, max weight 800lbs. Two Olympic bars. Yukon leg extension and curl machine. Smith machine with high, low pulley attachments. Hex bar, and some more stuff. Cant forget the elliptical. Feel bad for you guys who can't get to the gym now.

I post a couple pics but they are too large.
I've had the Gold's Gym version of the adjustable dumbbells for about 12 years or so. They served me well but now some of the parts in the adjusting mechanisms are wearing out and the individual plates take turns either not staying on or staying on when I don't want them too. LOL

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131