over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

C7 Nerve Root Compression

lookslikesausage

Registered
I have been having neck pain for a few months. It was getting progressively worse after hard session on the mat (wrestling). Was getting nasty pain down the back of my left arm, specifically when sitting. I've taken time off the mat and am now on a Depo Medrol pack. I got scared when the pain got pretty bad in my arm. Definitely don't want permanent strength loss and/or atrophy from nerve damage. My question is for anyone who's had this, how long did it take to heal? I've included the MRI report below.

CONCLUSION:

Flattening in cervical lordosis, osteophytic tapering in cervical vertebrae, more prominently distally.

· Wide-based left paracentral protrusion on the posterior diffuse bulging floor in C5-C6 disc and narrowing of anterior subarachnoid space and left neural foramen entrance with accompanying osteophytes.

At the C6-C7 level, osteophytes prominent on both laterals prominent on the left and obliteration in the anterior subarachnoid space secondary to left-weighted diffuse bulging, prominent bilateral neural foraminal stenosis on the left, compression on the C7 nerve roots prominent on the left.

·Central protrusion at C7-D1 level, partial narrowing of anterior subarachnoid space.

THANKS for any and all input!

Are you in pain now? Your MRI describes degeneration surrounding the exit portal for that left C7 nerve root which correlates with your symptoms. The MRI will only get worse as you age with exceptions. But your pain can wax or wane depending how inflammed the nerve gets. When you wrestled you eventually exhausted the "protective mechanisms" in your body and the forces applied to your body were then greater than the defense mechanism. Therefore you kind of moved in a way that pissed off the nerve.

I would continue the medal pack as your doctor advised. Decrease activity and wrap an ice pack in a towel and ice your neck a lot. I would also take the doctor up on physical therapy for a few sessions there after. If the steroid doesn't help the they will look to do injections.

There is a study docs always talk about where if you do nothing at all you are more likely to feel much better after a certain time period even without treatment. So likely you will feel better over time.

I have nerve root and disc issues with C5/6 but have been able to PT it pretty god where I'm back to normal. I'd have pain shooting down to my fingers and different "hot spots/throbbing" at night that would move around and wake me up. It would rotate around- all 3 heads of the delta, front trap, upper, Lower, tricep, down the arm.

These guys are nerdy but are really good. The chin tucks and neck towel extensions worked great for me.

Check out some of these vids.

I do BJJ and have my fair share of mountain bike crashes. I get flare ups every now and then. Traction, nerve flossing (plenty of YouTube videos to explain)and time help the most.

With all the wear and tare from working out and some accidents in my youth i have at least 1 disc that is totally gone and have had neck issues of years. I try to keep the muscles strong but don't push the issue. Looking down at a cell phone for long periods certainly doesn't help. I am expecting there to be more neck problems in the future with all the staring at the phone in the lap rather then holding it up for the eyes to see. As it bends flattens out the natural arch.

I have had neck problems from a skiing accident for the past forty years. I purchased a saunders cervical traction device, and now my neck is way better. May be something to look into. Good luck.

Are you in pain now? Your MRI describes degeneration surrounding the exit portal for that left C7 nerve root which correlates with your symptoms. The MRI will only get worse as you age with exceptions. But your pain can wax or wane depending how inflammed the nerve gets. When you wrestled you eventually exhausted the "protective mechanisms" in your body and the forces applied to your body were then greater than the defense mechanism. Therefore you kind of moved in a way that pissed off the nerve.

I would continue the medal pack as your doctor advised. Decrease activity and wrap an ice pack in a towel and ice your neck a lot. I would also take the doctor up on physical therapy for a few sessions there after. If the steroid doesn't help the they will look to do injections.

There is a study docs always talk about where if you do nothing at all you are more likely to feel much better after a certain time period even without treatment. So likely you will feel better over time.
I'm only really in pain when I'm sitting. Lying down is ok. Just sitting is uncomfortable at the moment.

Fingers crossed I can continue to wrestle and train (after I heal). Thank you so much everyone for your input in this thread. I greatly appreciate it.

Fingers crossed I can continue to wrestle and train (after I heal). Thank you so much everyone for your input in this thread. I greatly appreciate it.

My perspective is you can either exclude the aggravating factor or build your body to withstand the forces applied to the point where you are protected. In other words, give up wrestling or do PT to find the weak link in you chain and build it up for more protection to your spine.

Good luck dude. I would let the nerve calm down before returning to wrestling for sure. And keep us informed how you do.

I have been dealing c6-c7 problem off and on for 10 years. I have used the prednisone packs, Lots of NSAIDs, various injections, spinal decompression etc. No real reason why the inflammation comes on, but can take weeks to calm things down. This year I started doing full-body cryotherapy. The results are spectacular. One session resolves the issue in 24 hours. Now doing 1-2 times per week and maintain virtually pain free living.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131