over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Cable Flyes for chest

anab0lic

Registered
Any tips for isolating the chest as best as possible doing this movement?

I don't seem to feel it in the pecs all that much...

lighten the weight until you can feel it. Then work up the weight back up when you get that "connection"

You could try turning your hands in at the contraction. so the pinky side of of your hands touch eachother

but your time would be better spent dipping or benching

When I do cable flyes, I make sure to focus on making my chest do the movement. And focus on not letting anything else fill out the movement.

I do them very slowly, typically 30-45 seconds under tension.

declines and dips. you never ever in your life need to do cable flys.

I've never been a fan of declines, personally.

My chest workout consists of heavy inclines, heavy dips, and flyes as described above.

i pick a weight thats light enough for me to do a 2 to 3 second hold at the top of the contraction

Tom, I applaud your respectfulness and honesty.

thanks btech. origainally i was thinking that a muscle contracts under resistance and since declines and dips use comparatively more weight than flyes that you would recruit more fibers into the equation. nor did i feel you could shape a muscle with an exercise. that is determined by genes. however you pointed out that this is not always the case. i also respect and admire our friend buselmo and his expeience has led me to be much more open minded about bodybuilding and the many different roads to reach the desired destination. maybe about damn time i tried some cable flyes too....

To both Tom and the OP: I put on a decent amount of both size and strength over the last year doing nothing but declines and and weighted dips. About a month ago though I switched up my routine and began doing a couple different exercises in my prep. I have added incline flys, and last I do ONE set to failure of cable x-overs. I honestly feel that the cables have helped me bring out separation in the middle of my chest.

There are a lot of different ways to skin a cat in this bodybuilding game. I do firmly believe that progressive overload on compound exercises is best for mass, but I think there is some merit to isolation exercises "shaping" and enhancing muscle separation.

I never feel like I'm getting anything out of it doing cable flys although I do feel like I am when using the pec dec.

I never feel like I'm getting anything out of it doing cable flys although I do feel like I am when using the pec dec.
I should try flys but don't have as fly machine.

So I'm thinking to put a coil spring between my wife's upper thighs, grab her by the feet and use her for the fly exercise. :yeahthat:

lighten the weight until you can feel it. Then work up the weight back up when you get that "connection"

You could try turning your hands in at the contraction. so the pinky side of of your hands touch eachother

but your time would be better spent dipping or benching

I agree. I usually do flies at the end of chest day just for a good strech really. I use very light weight and just burn them out.

Damn I cant find the link to a study I read previously but I did copy some notes from it which I had saved.

• To maximize development in the lower chest, use a flat bench press with a wide grip.

• To emphasize the upper chest, the incline bench press with a shoulder width grip appears to be most effective.

• Based on the findings of this study, the decline bench press offers little advantage compared to the incline or flat bench press

I agree. I usually do flies at the end of chest day just for a good strech really. I use very light weight and just burn them out.

try switching it up, may be one day do flies first/flies with little weight to help get the fascia stretched out and a very good pump in their first.:headbang:

True story. After reading that discussion on improving chest symmetry, i went out and bought a dipping belt and have been loading that up along with declines. My outter chest is sore for a full 6 days, when normally my mid chest would stay sore for 2-3days.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear